New Evernote for Windows 5.8.5 Beta

Justin Street

​A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

• New
    • Presentation mode: Divide your presentation into multiple slides with a single click.
    • Updated look and feel of Work Chat
    • Updates to notebooks menu:
      • Local notebooks are now distinguishable
      • Number of notebooks is now displayed
  • Improved
    • Many improvements to the note editor
    • Contact selection in Work Chat
    • Several improvements to Context
    • Fixed several sync and stability issues

Enjoy!

• Level 5*

Justin, could you please provide details on the BUG fixes?

It is not worth our time to test unless you provide us with a list of specific fixes.

It is in your benefit to do so.

Thanks.

• Level 5

What do you mean? and how do it?

• Presentation mode: Divide your presentation into multiple slides with a single click.

Click the "Present" toolbar button. When Presentation mode launches, click the arrow icon to open the Layout Editor. Hover over and click the blue dot(s) in the Layout Editor to insert screen breaks.

See https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/12/03/new-presentation-mode-will-change-meetings/ for more details.

To be more specific, my notes are handwritten notes taken in a journal which is then subsequently captured using evernote on an iphone 5 in document camera mode.  The journal pages display fine in Evernote for windows, but print preview and printing result in truncated (clipped) notes.  The same notes on evernote on an ipad air2 display AND print fine.  Something is obviously buggy with the windows version of evernote when printing these document captured within evernote notes.   The beta version did not solve this.  Image of clipped note attached.

post-252291-0-85703400-1426977141_thumb.

What do you mean? and how do it?

Click the "Present" toolbar button. When Presentation mode launches, click the arrow icon to open the Layout Editor. Hover over and click the blue dot(s) in the Layout Editor to insert screen breaks.

See https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/12/03/new-presentation-mode-will-change-meetings/ for more details.

Thanks, I have found it.
The new presentation mode doesn't work very well. is not easy to explain, but I try:
I open a note in presentation mode, the divisione of slide is not as I want but if  I use arrow or back space all text is visible.
I edit the division and part of text disapear.
I close and reopen the presentation mode and the problem is still present.
I close and reopen Evernote and at this time the presentation is good.

As you immagine this is not a possible way to work 
I don't know if is related to this versions or is a old bug, any way the drag and drop of reminders don't works I as aspect.

If I drag a reminders from top to down, the reminder that moves is not the one I  selected. But if I drag a reminder from down to top works well.

• Level 5*

Still drives me bonkers that after typing in the note title, hitting Tab ejects you into the note list and not the current note's body. I know it's not really related to the beta, but when I saw "Many improvements to the note editor" I got myself all hot and bothered in hopes that this was implemented. To me, it seems like this should be the default behavior, as I don't know many instances where you want to type in a note title and then you're done with the note, versus wanting to next go to the note body. But maybe it's just me! Anywho, I look forward to running this beta through the paces, even without this behavior implemented :)

I read many improvements to the note editor. 

Unfortunately, I have some issues coming up that weren't there before...

1. I can no longer add a "divider line" in a table or add a table "within" a table. It just doesn't respond. 

2. The tables themselves have changed a bit in that there's more spacing vertically. Deliberately?

3. I have occasionally problems with copy c+v in that in doesn't copy. Mind you I use the keys, not the right-click mouse "copy paste" - no problems there. 

4. I have many, many notes with small sound files. The pictures of the sound files often do not appear, although they are there, because I can click on them. Essentially, they become invisible and only after going back and forwards between notes, they sometimes appear. Intermittent behaviour. 

That's it so far....

• Level 5*

Many improvements to the note editor

Any chance you could expand on this? For me this could be the most exciting development in EN for years.

From what I've noticed: 

• Bullet, number lists no longer have padding above and below them
  • New, infinitely more attractive checkboxes (with properly aligned text!)
  • New, infinitely more attractive tables (though much of the functionality hasn't changed)

Screenshot:

skitch.jpg

One thing I've noticed - note titles are Arial now. I'm assuming that's a whoopsie as they're still the previous font (Segoe perhaps?) in the note list.

skitch.jpg

EDIT: Found another. Typing in the note title pulls up the text editing menu, despite being unable to use it on the title.

7468d214091f7e99685ccf23e1197046.gif

• Level 5

1. I can no longer add a "divider line" in a table or add a table "within" a table. It just doesn't respond. 

2. The tables themselves have changed a bit in that there's more spacing vertically. Deliberately?

3. I have occasionally problems with copy c+v in that in doesn't copy. Mind you I use the keys, not the right-click mouse "copy paste" - no problems there. 

4. I have many, many notes with small sound files. The pictures of the sound files often do not appear, although they are there, because I can click on them. Essentially, they become invisible and only after going back and forwards between notes, they sometimes appear. Intermittent behaviour.

1. This is currently by design. Tables have been cleaned up quite a bit. More things to come will take advantage of this clean design.

2. Table spacing is by design as well. More features coming :)

3. Please let us know of any issues with unresponsive copy/paste. We can't reproduce anything in-house.

4. Thanks for letting us know. Do you have a screenshot? Please post or PM me.

From what I've noticed:

• Bullet, number lists no longer have padding above and below them
  • New, infinitely more attractive checkboxes (with properly aligned text!)
  • New, infinitely more attractive tables (though much of the functionality hasn't changed)
One thing I've noticed - note titles are Arial now. I'm assuming that's a whoopsie as they're still the previous font (Segoe perhaps?) in the note list.

Found another. Typing in the note title pulls up the text editing menu, despite being unable to use it on the title.

Re: bullet spacing, good eye! You'll start to notice our formatting will be a bit more standard across platforms. More to come soon here!

Checkbox attractiveness: thank you!

Table attractiveness: thank you! more features to come!

Arial vs segoeoegooe: good catch. Will fix.

Title pulling up editing menu: good catch! Will fix.

• Level 5*

. . .

1. This is currently by design. Tables have been cleaned up quite a bit. More things to come will take advantage of this clean design.

2. Table spacing is by design as well. More features coming :)

Jack, I realize that this is an EN Win thread, but I've observed the same table behavior in EN Mac, as late as ver 6.0.7.

I'm not sure I understand your comments of "by design" vs "more thing to come".

I don't like the new behavior described by @Rpfc in points #1 and #2.

Are you saying that it is going to change?  If so, how?

I used to use HTML horizontal rule (#1) a lot in tables and really miss it.  I sure hope you are going to be restoring it.  I see no point in preventing its use.

The amount of space between cell contents and border needs to be set based on the user's needs.  While your new "lots of space" spacing may work for some use cases, it does NOT work for tables with lots of data with lots of rows/columns.

My preference would be to give the user direct control over cell spacing (like in MS Word).

But the default should be the spacing you had previously.

Please don't let the UI Designers get carrier away with what they think looks cool and pretty, but that detracts from the usability of tables.

All of my comments apply to both EN Win and EN Mac.

Thanks.

Hi,

I downloaded 5.8.5.7051 yesterday afternoon. This morning it has been crashing with a runtime error repeatedly.

Somewhere during this a note which I have been updating daily for 47 weeks had all its content stripped out. I have checked on iOS and the web and the content appears to have disappeared from the server since it is missing on every device.

More details: I am copying and pasting a historical daily comic strip into a note, for academic research purposes. Every Monday, I note the week number and the original date of that week's publication. The strip is now in its 47th week. This morning, when I opened it, only the weekly text headings were there. All of the strips had disappeared.

The obvious question: is there any way of getting the contents of the note back other than by copying and pasting 276 comic strips into a new note? The next obvious question: is this likely to happen again? I always save a local copy of my Evernote database every Friday. Should I now do this daily?

A third less obvious question. If I use my database from last Friday and then sync it to the server will this cause complications? Will it redelete the missing Mandrake comic strip?

Cheers

Owen

• Level 5

@owen, I would open a support request. They can help you in detail. In the interim, I'd ask the following:

- Are you premium? If so, you should have the note's history.

- Has that note been synced for 47 weeks? If so, support is likely able to help.

- Your local backup of your database can be used to retrieve your note. If you copy that db into the right spot and sign in offline, you should see your old note.

- Please save a copy of your activity log and message me with it or submit it to support. 

Please respond via private message.

• Level 5*

If you are a premium user you should be able to find the last good copy of the note using the history function.  You should be able to recover the note from your backup.  The process varies depending upon how you backed up.

If it happens once and whatever caused it happens again, then it could reoccur I suppose.  But who knows?  Did you submit a ticket?

If you use your data base from last Friday you would lose any additions/changes since then, not good I'm assuming.  In addition, I'm not sure but I would be concerned about creating sync issues in the process.

• Level 5

If you use an old version of an Evernote database while connected to the internet, the client will update that database to the latest server copy. If you use that old database copy offline, you should be able to work from it... i.e. use it to export old versions of notes, etc

@ Jackolicious...

In regards to the sound files, you're going to have to my word for it. The files are simple mp3 files, generally no more than 10-15kb in size. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a screenshot, either as pm or forum post.

In either case, I won't be able to reproduce it as I will be downgrading to 5.8.4 and staying there as I need the horizontal divider line. Hope you decide to bring it back as otherwise I'll be stuck at 5.8.4. 

​A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

• New
  • Improved

Enjoy!

I'm not sure whether this is my machine or not (Win 7), but I am unable to copy or cut note title text - nothing goes onto the Clipboard.  Paste into the title works OK.

Thanks everyone.

Yes I am a premium subscriber and have been for literally years. I had overlooked the history feature though, because I have never had any need to use it. Now I did and it worked perfectly. I have the note back and up to date again.

The crashing seems only to occur with large notes like these comic strips. The dialog box is headed Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library and the text says:

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I will put this in a support ticket. I am only posting it here in case anyone else has seen this.

Cheers

Owen

• New
  • Improved

Enjoy!

I'm not sure whether this is my machine or not (Win 7), but I am unable to copy or cut note title text - nothing goes onto the Clipboard.  Paste into the title works OK.

Have the same problem here, this of updating apps is a lottery....really sad one :(

• Level 5*

Noted the title copy problem. Remember, this is a beta! Thanks for letting us know!

Out of interest, does EN have some form OF regression testing that the developers/QA EN perform before the beta is established, automated or scripted?  Title malfunctions making it into a beta seems a bit weak from a QA perspective.  A lot going on I know, just wondering.

• Level 5

We have manual testing + unit tests + automated regression testing. However, our coverage isn't and can never be 100%. We do our best to limit risk exposure in public releases, however, our testing is not as thorough for beta releases.

However, with regard to data integrity, our testing is always very thorough.

• Level 5*

Anyone having an issue with the "Screenshot" feature? Sometimes (more often than not unfortunately) when I click "screenshot" EN minimizes then comes back at about 90% opaqueness (this is on Windows 7 with Aero) so I cannot take a screenshot of anything but the Evernote app itself. It just happened to me in this beta.

• One cool thing I've noticed about the Beta is that when one used to scroll (with the mouse pad) beyond the note body borders and into the context section/ space (or if you followed a Context popup) , one could no longer use the mouse pad to scroll back up while the cursor was positioned in the context section. You would have to use the scrollbar to get you back up or else reposition the mouse arrow within the note body area before doing so.

• I often need to scroll to the end of a specific set of (lengthy) notes, so this "small" change, whether intentional or not, makes this process less of a PITA

A strange piece of behavior I've picked up (pun intended) is that when you select a piece of text and then drag and drop it within a note (not talking about Ctrl+X), the result includes the grayish-blue background color that the note body sits on, which looks sort of like a highlight: 

Background%20highlight.PNG?dl=1

• A strange piece of behavior I've picked up (pun intended) is that when you select a piece of text and then drag and drop it within a note (not talking about Ctrl+X), the result includes the grayish-blue background color that the note body sits on, which looks sort of like a highlight: 

I found it did that too.

Yurash, 

You are correct that Ctrl+Shift+V is pasting images along with text, which I imagine should not do so...

... but, for now, if you try Ctrl+Shift+Space, you can remove the formatting from any selection. 

Notes with encryption seem to be affected by this release.  

1. Access encrypted text
  2. Hit CTRL-F to find in file
  3. The note closes as if a change had been made (the date/time updates to confirm this unintended behaviour)

This prevents the action of searching in the file, and it updates the date/time stamp of the Note when no change has actually occurred.

(This behaviour can also be recreated without the CTRL-F bit.  Just stay on the opened note for a few moments and the note will close on its own.)

Great work on the new beta, guys!

I'm using 5.8.5.7051 on Windows 8.1.

I'm loving the consistency of look and feel across devices, hoping you're going to reproduce more of the look and feel of the web version in the desktop version.

One quick thing: I've noticed that the ctrl-backspace no longer works to delete a word (a feature I didn't realize how often I used until it stopped working!).

• Level 5*

Thanks for all the feedback! Noted.

Have you or anyone else been able to repro the issue where when trying to take a screenshot, Evernote won't properly minimize to the background?

I was recently troubleshooting an issue with evernote and the rep I was working with recommended updating to the prerelease version to solve my problem. That didn't solve my problem but I eventually did get it solved. I left that prerelease box checked and now I'm running into a bug with that version. 

The bug is simple, I am unable to copy text in the title of a note. I tried control+c and I also tried right clicking the text and clicking copy but neither will put the selected text into the clipboard. Cut does not work either. Paste works, though.

• Level 5*

Have you or anyone else been able to repro the issue where when trying to take a screenshot, Evernote won't properly minimize to the background?

I can reproduce this problem. When you try to take a screenshot, Evernote gets all fuzzy like it's trying to scale up a smaller version of Evernote... it's tricky to explain, but it looks like a blurry image blown up beyond its size. And yeah, it doesn't minimize so much as Saunter Vaguely Downwards.

01a3d2f447ffc9a1f4e5e0619c96e165.gif

AIZjc4VEqk-3000x3000.png

I have found a few issues with this release.  

1)When typing in a note (either in preview mode or when the note is opened separately), the note automatically scrolls so I am always typing in the bottom 1/3 of the screen.  If I scroll up so I am typing higher, each time I add a new line, it scrolls down 2, so I am soon typing near the bottom again.  Aggravating as it breaks concentration; when I look back at the screen after typing for a while taking notes, the cursor is nowhere near where I expect it to be. 

2) After right clicking on a word and correcting the spelling, there is a gray box around the corrected word, as if it was highlighted. 

3) EN stops responding regularly and has to be restarted, usually 3-4 times in a 3 hour period. 

• Level 5*

Madmax, 

on #3, have you ever just left it alone? I'd be curious to see if you are getting a crazy journal file in your Evernote db directory which will cause the non-responsiveness, but depending on what it is doing and the speed of your HD/SSD, it should resolve itself, but it is absolutely maddening when this happens, which is way WAY too often. i've seen it take 5-6 minutes before, sometimes even slightly longer.

I only have about 3200 notes in about 220 notebooks, and am usually only working on one or two at a time, so it shouldn't be overtasking my SSD.  It usually happens when I am in class, so I can't really wait 5 minutes since I am taking notes.  After about 1 I just close and restart it.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

If you want to live dangerously and get the betas go to Options - General and check Enable beta features and updates.  There is also a Windows beta forum to which you can subscribe.

• Level 5*

Hi folks, I'm new to this.  Is 5.8.5 Beta older or newer than 5.8.5 Generally Available?  I.e. what's the latest most dangerous thing to be on?   :)

The betas are pretty tame. There isn't a public beta right now, 5.8.5GA is the latest, which just came out a week or so ago. Not sure when a beta will come down the pike.

Archived