INBOX by Gmail (new app in beta) is AMAZING!

adamdwright

Just got the beta of INBOX by gmail -- and IT. IS. AMAZING!!!

I replaced Mailbox (iOS) with it.  and replaced apple mail on my desktop with it.  

The video on youtube shows off the wrong features.  Actually using the app for the PINNING (important emails) feature and for REMINDERS is a flawless experience and has kept me super organized.  

Anyhow, had to spread the news because downloaded it yesterday morning, and already obsessed w/ how much I like it :)

here's a vid about the app 

Have you guys given Mailbox from Dropbox a spin? Interesting that Kris Carlon from the video is wearing a Dropbox t-shirt  :P

I've been using Mailbox for quite a while... and you can snooze emails by swiping... the emails appear back in your inbox at the date and time you specify, so no reminders needed. You can shuffle emails around among tons of other options. Also, a bonus - I like the fact that Mailbox integrates smoothly with Dropbox for attachments and the like. 

Dropboxs' Mailbox doesn't have the email "preview" that Inbox gives, but at a superficial glance, it seems that this in itself produces a little clutter (for me personally). Mailbox gives me an easier-on-the-eye interface... and since the subject line of most emails are a dead giveaway, I don't know that having a preview (and consequently having to scroll more) is that much of a plus here - that, and the fact that the "snooze" feature already simplifies your inbox dramatically, allowing one to focus on the already whittled down pickings that remain in your inbox. 

To me it seems that "pinning" certain emails becomes obsolete if your app has already given you a system whereby you can tackle all your emails at the intended time as they reappear in your inbox. I guess the proof is in the pudding. One would really need to have these apps as your sparring partners for an extended stretch to get the feel of what they bring. A very brief overview of "Inbox" leaves me with the distinct impression that many bells and whistles can be done away with when you have a dynamic in place that simplifies your life to the point where certain features simply create noise are purely for tinkering around with. I think this might be Google's response to Mailbox...

• Level 5*

Seems to be a new trend - Outlook have some new services in 2013 that head in this direction,  and there's an Android app called Boxer which does some similar stuff.  In general I'm not sure about 'hiding' things or allowing software to decide what I should think is important - I'd rather rely on sorting through everything I've received (any reliable help to remove spam much appreciated here...) and curating it to different mailboxes with the usual !Now - soon - sometime priorities.

Previewing videos and attachments (thumbnails) would be good,  and maybe a couple of different reading levels for stuff I need to read soon,  and newsletters for fun;  but above that I'm not sure what extra bells and whistles I would use...

• 1 month later...

For the time being I prefer Mailbox.  Inbox is good but Mailbox has the lead.  With Google's backing Inbox could potentially overtake Mailbox because they have the best access to their own data.  However, I think it is very unlikely that Google will include other email providers as options (it'll never happen probably).  Gmail is the best email provider but there are uses for others.  I did a comparison of the apps on my Wordpress blog, if you're interested.

I agree with you gazumped.  One work around I have with Mailbox is to use the "auto-swipe" feature to label and archive certain incoming emails (e.g. as #Promotions or #Updates) and then I have an IFTTT recipe that sends me daily or weekly email digests for those labels.  That way I can get an overview of new low priority emails I received but I don't get bogged down checking them all as they arrive one by one.  I take a look at anything of interest – if there's anything.

• Level 5*

Perhaps I haven't given it enough of a spin or don't know where the right options menu is, but to me INBOX on Windows is another pretty interface which makes it harder to get things done.  Simple example, the delete icon is hidden, you have to click something to click it.  Ditto forward and reply.  Some of the organizational and reminder stuff is very nice, but me thinks I would go crazy taking two clicks all the time to perform simple tasks.

Perhaps I haven't given it enough of a spin or don't know where the right options menu is, but to me INBOX on Windows is another pretty interface which makes it harder to get things done.  Simple example,, the delete icon is hidden, you have to click something to click it.  DItto forward and reply.  Some of the organizational and reminder stuff is very nice, but me thinks I would go crazy taking two clicks all the time to perform simple tasks.

Agreed. Too much to tinker with. I was helping someone get setup with an app that puts emails off to future dates... and all except Mailbox have unnecessarily complicated and/ or cluttered interfaces with way too many options. If you're going to have to implement GTD in your inbox or have anything less than a minimalist interface, you're spending longer than you need in your inbox organizing and tinkering. Mailbox gets you in and out, allowing one to focus on emailing... or putting emails off. Simple. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived