Suggested Enhancement: Tiered ' To-Dos'

The checkbox 'to do' is a great feature but the ability to see all to do's across all notes / notebooks would be a fantastic feature.

So you would want the ability to:

• Add a to-do to that specific note (and for it to live only in that note)
  • Add an additional criteria (different type of to-do? secondary click?) to a to-do that can be tracked outside of the note in context, to a master 'To-do / Task List'

You might be pleasantly surprised if you tinker with Swipes, a 3rd-party Evernote app that harvests your checkbox items from Evernote. It consolidates your Evernote checkbox items scattered across your account on their app's user-friendly interface (haha, sounds like an ad). As far as I can tell, it fulfills all criteria in your above request. And what's more... I doubt Evernote will implement anything similar, since they value and actively promote such 3rd-party apps. Swipes recently won a gold at the Evernote Platform Awards.

You'll find them on Android, iOS and web.

Also... to isolate/ filter to-do's within your EN account, tinker with the Todo:false, Todo:true, Todo:* search operators

Here's at least one other thread that might be an interesting read on filtering to-do's:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50400-search-for-unfinished-to-do-items/

Question: Why would you want to eat a frog? Were you tormented by frogs as a small child?

You might be pleasantly surprised if you tinker with Swipes, a 3rd-party Evernote app that harvests your checkbox items from Evernote. It consolidates your Evernote checkbox items scattered across your account on their app's user-friendly interface (haha, sounds like an ad). As far as I can tell, it fulfills all criteria in your above request. And what's more... I doubt Evernote will implement anything similar, since they value and actively promote such 3rd-party apps. Swipes recently won a gold at the Evernote Platform Awards.

Also... to isolate/ filter to-do's within your EN account, tinker with the Todo:false, Todo:true, Todo:* search operators

Here's at least one other thread that might be an interesting read on filtering to-do's:

Haha! You saw my screenshots from the Swipes post.

Eating frogs and the like is a reference to a brilliant little book on productivity/ prioritization called "Eat that frog", by Brian Tracy, which in turn is loosely based on Mark Twain's saying:

"If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first."

Incidentally, that's why you see "Eat frog! (biggest one)" under Urgent and Important in my Eisenhower-like Matrix setup. 

So... I'm not that traumatized  :lol: 

Interesting, wasnt away of this app. To be honest, I use Evernote mainly on my PC with use on my android devices quite minimal, and mainly to review note and to add quick notes. So whilst Swipes looks nice if your ecosystem is mainly device based, am not sure it's quite what I'm after being a PC user.

Again filtering using the search function is nice but doesn't give a conclusive list to work through across multiple notes. I can only eally envisage Evernote adding an enhancement that really would make the service an app management leader but as the comment noted later down the post, they have endorsed the Swipes app so I doubt this will materialise.... annoyingly.

Thanks all for the replies

Interesting, wasnt away of this app. To be honest, I use Evernote mainly on my PC with use on my android devices quite minimal, and mainly to review note and to add quick notes. So whilst Swipes looks nice if your ecosystem is mainly device based, am not sure it's quite what I'm after being a PC user.

Again filtering using the search function is nice but doesn't give a conclusive list to work through across multiple notes. I can only eally envisage Evernote adding an enhancement that really would make the service an app management leader but as the comment noted later down the post, they have endorsed the Swipes app so I doubt this will materialise.... annoyingly.

Thanks all for the replies

Had you paid Swipes a visit, you'd have discovered that they have a web client, built for PC.

Also, of interest, here is my personal conclusion about Swipes as it relates to Evernote, written about in the post mentioned above:

"Even if you do not subscribe to the use of Swipes as a fully-integrated task-management solution, it can be a very useful tool, especially insofar as helping to get random and account-wide checkboxed items in Evernote under control. It may be a good transition tool to round up those free radicals spread throughout your account and phase in to another system of your choice."

Also, you yourself could keep your checkbox/ todo items grouped together in a system of your own fabrication in Evernote so that you needn't search for them at all. You might get some ideas in the Evernote series on my blog, where I string together some Kanban principles in Evernote.

Basically, you can "tier" your own to-do's by setting up your own tier system:

This is the first post in the series: http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/7/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-1-of-5

You'll see that you can set up a defined structure for your tasks, which may well include checkboxes, as you will see in a couple of the videos.

Thanks for the nice words Frank. Actually we launched the Android app just last week. 

Thanks, this is really helpful!

Thanks for the nice words Frank. Actually we launched the Android app just last week. 

Thanks, this is really helpful!

Not so much nice words as it is pointing out the fact that Swipes is the only app I've seen thus far that has a solution in this area. Pulling all checkbox items out of your Evernote account and consolidating them on an intuitive interface is quite something. At least, for now, it's a unique app :-)

Archived