Screen clipping zoomed in

Whenever I use the desktop app and try to use the screen clipping feature, my screen zooms in to about 300% and I only see the top corner of my desktop.

BUT.. when I changed the hot keys to use the icon in the systems try to act as a shortcut to the screen clipping feature, it works perfectly fine. I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with the new update because it worked prior.

I'm running an i7, 8GB RAM, SSD and 2 external monitors.

If someone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  My screen clipper works fine,  and if yours has worked before,  your system setup shouldn't be an issue (although they have messed with display settings for HD screens recently..).  As a first stab I'd suggest backing up your database folder and uninstalling/ reinstalling Evernote completely - maybe you're just affected by update bloat.

Uninstall and reinstall was the first thing I tried and still acting up.

I was thinking it could have something to do with the display because I do have a UHD display.

Is there anything to do to check if the update is issue or to better diagnose what it could be?

• Level 5*
  • 2 years later...

Zooming part of the currently displayed screen itself to more than 100% in the moment of capture/clipping (function Clip Screenshot) is an Evernote bug and it appears everytime if there is a scaling set to more than 100% in Windows 10 <Display settings>  in the field <Change the size of text, apps and other items>. Although Evernote correctly scales its UI as per system settings, it should not, but it does same zooming when clipping screen bitmap content, which is wrong as the screen is zoomed/resized already. 

Main impact of this bug: Part of the screen which user could want to clip becomes unavailable, because of the zoom nature - this zoom has no panning function - so it just zooms part of the screen and makes unavailable the invisible rest of the screen for the clipping.

This is proven bug for Win10 Creators Update / Evernote_6.7.4.5741.

WORKAROUND: change the field to 100% temporarily when using the clipping function. Entire content of the screen in the moment will be therefore as tiny as 100% for the current resolution just used (i.e. no system zoom via settings -- the field), but as Evernote use same zoom when clipping as is currently in systems settings (the field), it will not zoom neither, because zoom is 100%=no_zoom (in the moment in this workaround). So therefore entire screen will remain available for the clipping operation. If you need some zoom for better visibility when clipping, you can use the Magnify (magnify.exe) windows tool which does panning, so entire screen area will remain available in the clipping process. After making the clip you can revert the field back to your previous system zoom (e.g. 250 % for UHD @ notebooks).

Desired fix: Evernote will not do such zoom/crop of the screen when clipping or will make available the entire screen using panning function in such zoom. 

• 9 months later...

I know that this is a very old thread, but it is the most relevant in the forums. Has anyone from Evernote followed up on this bug in the 3 years that it has been an issue? Is anyone aware of a fix that I am not finding when I search?

I have this issue on a Lenovo Yoga 900 which recommends 200% scaling. When I am on that laptop I am able to use the hotkeys to screen capture, however, if I connect to one or more external monitors, I have to change the laptop screen to 100% in order to avoid the Evernote screen capture scaling issue. It makes the laptop screen virtually unusable (though the external monitors are fine.) I don't have the same issue on my other laptop without the UHD screen.

It looks like the fix would be for Evernote to ensure that its apps are Universal Windows Platform (UWP) applications https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

Modern (UWP) apps always scale correctly. If there is a comparable modern app available, you can substitute that app to mitigate the scaling issues. For example, Edge is a modern app that does not cause the DPI Scaling issues that Internet Explorer might experience. Similarly, Remote Desktop is an alternative to mstsc.exe.

• 2 months later...

well, i didn't stop an Evernote update in time and i've finally been hit with this. HOW ANNOYING. the screen clip functionality on desktop has now been rendered completely useless since my dispaly % default is also not 100%. to change your display every time you need to clip something is beyond not practical. Now I'll have to stalk updates to see if this will ever be addressed/fixed. not holding my breath from what everyone here has said.

Archived