Business card notes created in mobile app can't be edited in desktop app

Hi,

I've been scanning business cards -- creating notes -- at a conference today.

When I go to edit them in the desktop app (much easier to type), Evernote will not save my edits. 

I hit "Save" but when I return to the note, all my edits are gone.

The same problem does not exist with notes that are not scanned business cards; I can edit these notes on either platform and syncing works fine.

This is a problem because I can't rely on Evernote to save my edits. I'm losing valuable business contact information.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

If you scan and save a business card using Scannable or a phone and Evernote's card camera,  the format of the note is fixed.  There's a small area for 'notes',  but most of the content is not editable if you wish to maintain the layout.  

If you're not using one of those two features,  I'm less sure what's happening - taking a normal camera picture of a note should just give you a text note plus a picture which should be fully editable.  

Standard suggestion for 'uneditable' notes - don't add to the existing note,  make a new one and merge the two,  or link with tags or titles...

Um, you do know that clicking on a menu option that actually says the word "Save" is not the same thing as Syncing your changes up to the EN Servers, right? I don't use that particular feature on my Windows app, but do on my phone. I find it useful if I think I might be interrupted while working, but always manually Sync before exiting Evernote. I do the same when opening it. An any device for both syncs.

Hi,

I've been scanning business cards -- creating notes -- at a conference today.

When I go to edit them in the desktop app (much easier to type), Evernote will not save my edits.

I hit "Save" but when I return to the note, all my edits are gone.

The same problem does not exist with notes that are not scanned business cards; I can edit these notes on either platform and syncing works fine.

This is a problem because I can't rely on Evernote to save my edits. I'm losing valuable business contact information.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

If you scan and save a business card using Scannable or a phone and Evernote's card camera,  the format of the note is fixed.  There's a small area for 'notes',  but most of the content is not editable if you wish to maintain the layout.  

If you're not using one of those two features,  I'm less sure what's happening - taking a normal camera picture of a note should just give you a text note plus a picture which should be fully editable.  

Standard suggestion for 'uneditable' notes - don't add to the existing note,  make a new one and merge the two,  or link with tags or titles...

Thanks gazumped,

I'm using a phone with Evernote's card camera. I can edit the note/card scan on my phone, but I can't edit it in desktop. Synching isn't the problem -- the note syncs fine between mobile and desktop. I'm not trying to edit the format, just the content. For example, I can edit/add a job title in the note on my phone and the change is saved. I can also edit the job title in the desktop app, but the change isn't saved. 

I'll try your suggestion of making a new note and merging.

thanks

• Like 1

Good point @Wordsgood (no pun intended..) - @ bucko;  are you editing in the desktop app and then going to the mobile immediately to see your changes?  

No, it's not that I'm editing in desktop, then not seeing changes in mobile. It's that I'm editing in desktop, but those changes aren't saved in desktop (or mobile). I Save and sync after editing (in desktop), but when I exit that note, then return to it, none of the edits are saved.

I am having the exact same problem, I think; and I think the problem is new following the latest update of Evernote / Scannable.

Here is my workflow:

1. I take photos of 5-10 business cards using my iPhone 6 w/ latest update for Scannable
  2. I use the app to briefly check that each card was correctly scanned, i.e. that the image is correct and that a name has been associated with the card
  3. I upload the business card notes and accompanying photos to Evernote
  4. I use the desktop version of Evernote [Version 6.0.7 (451372 Direct)] on my Mac (OSX 10.9.5) to try to "clean up" the business cards that lack titles, company names (about 50% lack at least one of those 2 items)
  5. The changes fail to "save" or to "sync" at all.
  6. I cannot add any other content to the business card notes.  A little window on the note suggests that I can "Add Notes..." but when I do, the text does not save, and is immediately lost.
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*

I am having the exact same problem, I think; and I think the problem is new following the latest update of Evernote / Scannable.

Here is my workflow:

1. I take photos of 5-10 business cards using my iPhone 6 w/ latest update for Scannable
  2. I use the app to briefly check that each card was correctly scanned, i.e. that the image is correct and that a name has been associated with the card
  4. I use the desktop version of Evernote [Version 6.0.7 (451372 Direct)] on my Mac (OSX 10.9.5) to try to "clean up" the business cards that lack titles, company names (about 50% lack at least one of those 2 items)
  6. I cannot add any other content to the business card notes.  A little window on the note suggests that I can "Add Notes..." but when I do, the text does not save, and is immediately lost.

Hi. 

Are you adding notes in the actual window where it says "Add Notes?" - The card isn't editable as such;  it just allows you to add text in one specific area.  If that field is not working,  try the 'merging notes' suggestion earlier.

Here is my workflow:

Yes, very similar to my workflow, except I'm not using Scannable. I'm using the business card scan feature inside Evernote.

Regardless, in desktop, I have the option to edit the business card note, it appears that I'm editing, but the edits are not saved. Conversely, edits are saved when I make them in the mobile Evernote app. So it's not that certain fields aren't editable, they're just not editable in Evernote desktop. This is a real workflow bummer when I'm trying to log contacts at a trade show.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Let's not mix the Scannable queries with the Evernote Business Card scanner queries,  because they're different (though related) apps,  and I'm not sure to what extent they overlap.  (I'm a Windows'n Android user,  so no scannable yet... hint.)

Does it help to make extra notes in a separate note and either use the same title or merge the notes?

• 2 weeks later...

same problem here

workflow:

- scanning business cards with scannble on iphone

- uploading

- reviewing the cards on the evernotes desktop version

- changes to the "address" or "add notes" fields will not save and disappear as soon as i leave the window of that particular note

am not looking for workaroung but fix (merging is not really practical, as i can then not edit contact information any more)

cheers from italy

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been experiencing the same problem outlined above, using the Mac Evernote application.

I thought I'd try Evernote Web to see if there was any difference and when I try to edit the business card there I get an error message saying "Sorry, you can only edit the title of this note because it was created in another app"

I can edit the note on the IOS app, and have the changes appear on the desktop, so clearly the note can be edited, but for some reason Evernote will only let it happen in the application that created it.

Very annoying, like some of the other posters, I'd like to bulk scan things on my phone or tablet then clean them up on my computer.

Edit: Looking at this a little harder, it appears that the issue is with the Mac Evernote application. I installed the Windows version and it works fine.

• Like 1

Semal, you're right! It's a mac desktop issue. Works fine in Windows 7 Pro.

I use my Macbook at conferences, which is where i scan bus. cards and need to edit notes.

Evernote, please fix this bug in the Mac desktop app.

I've been experiencing the same problem outlined above, using the Mac Evernote application.

I thought I'd try Evernote Web to see if there was any difference and when I try to edit the business card there I get an error message saying "Sorry, you can only edit the title of this note because it was created in another app"

I can edit the note on the IOS app, and have the changes appear on the desktop, so clearly the note can be edited, but for some reason Evernote will only let it happen in the application that created it.

Very annoying, like some of the other posters, I'd like to bulk scan things on my phone or tablet then clean them up on my computer.

Edit: Looking at this a little harder, it appears that the issue is with the Mac Evernote application. I installed the Windows version and it works fine.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also having the problem.

1) Capture photos of cards directly in the Evernote for Android application. 

2) Notes sync properly to both the web and Mac desktop client (6.0.8). I can see both the photo of the card and the text.

3) No changes can be made to the captured cards through the Mac desktop app or the Evernote website. Even if you hit "save" manually via the Mac desktop app there are no changes allowed. 

4) I can make changes and edits in the Android app and those changes are synchronized to the web and Mac app. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem! I scan a card (or several) in with my phone, then while using the web or desktop versions of Evernote I am unable to edit anything! it says it's locked because it was created by another app.... That just seems like garbage to me! Is there a way to change this?

• Level 5*

Like I said before - it's always possible to 'add' something to a business card note by creating a new note and merging the two together (IME with Windows/ Android). 

The information won't be laid out as nicely or consistently as before,  but it's still all there.  You'd have to do some experimentation because I don't know for what combinations of Evernote for Scannable / Mobile / Desktop and the various OS's that would be true or workable,  but there would be work-arounds. 

Us Androids are still waiting for Scannable at all (hint) so there's still development going on,  and I'm sure the Devs will take this on board as a feature request.  Meantime there's only whatever work-arounds you can find.

If a consistent and stylish layout is required,  you could try inserting scanned card data manually into tables,  or using Templates such as those from Transpose

EDIT: (Later thought)  You should get the option to save the scanned details to your Contacts,  and of course there you can add whatever additional information you wish...

• 2 months later...

I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, but I think I am having the same problem.

I have no problem Scanning the Business Cards and adding the information to my contacts, but once the information is added to my contacts I can't seem to change any of the contact information on Evernote for Windows.

Is there anyway to do this, or do I just have to keep editing everything on my phone?

Hi zaius0930,

last time i checked that was the problem. Scan a card, enter information on my phone, but can't edit it afterward in desktop version. I've given up using Evernote to scan business cards for this reason. Would love to know of an application that does it properly. It's definitely needed

Best

• 7 months later...

Why is the Evernote Business Card so dysfunctional? It extracts the email address, but I can't copy it and when I click it, it leads to nowhere. What's the point of it? Evernote so often get these basics wrong.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, kitezh said:

Why is the Evernote Business Card so dysfunctional? It extracts the email address, but I can't copy it and when I click it, it leads to nowhere. What's the point of it? Evernote so often get these basics wrong.

Hi.  What's your OS?  IME the email address works as a link on Windows Desktop and Android,  where the phone numbers are also active links from which to dial.  See my answer above for adding extra information.  My system is just to make another note with the same title - "<contact name> - Business Card" so I can find both the scanned card and any extra detail with the same search.  Where I have several contacts for the same company I also have a table of contents note listing them all...

As a premier user, I heavily rely on the business card scanning function.  I was disappointed to recently discover that when scanning a bcard in the iOS mobile app and saving, when the sync happens and the windows desktop app syncs, I'm not able to make any edits to the card; like its frozen.  Now, if I go back to the mobile app, I can make all the edits I want, but I'd rather be typing on a full keyboard at my desk than to be typing on my iphone.  I appreciate the work arounds, but creating and merging new notes is creating unnecessary work. 

I'm a Premium user as well and have the same disappointment. It appears that functionality is actually being removed from the desktop version rather than enhanced. The ability to edit the content created from a business card used to be there on desktop but now is gone. Even the "Add Notes" section has been removed! This makes the functionality almost useless to me. I've discovered that OneNote does business card scanning out of the box and of course for free. I've been an Evernote user almost forever and I'm starting to question that decision. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, note everything said:

I'm a Premium user as well and have the same disappointment. It appears that functionality is actually being removed from the desktop version rather than enhanced. The ability to edit the content created from a business card used to be there on desktop but now is gone. Even the "Add Notes" section has been removed! This makes the functionality almost useless to me. I've discovered that OneNote does business card scanning out of the box and of course for free. I've been an Evernote user almost forever and I'm starting to question that decision. 

Hi.  I wasn't aware that it was ever possible to edit the card content - AFAIK it's always been specially a formatted note.  As already commented however - tags or titles will tie other notes to a card note so that extra information can be recorded,  and merging notes means that more information can be added.  I've not yet found it a problem to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Gazumped,

I'm using Windows 10. When I click on an email address, it opens a fresh instance of Chrome but there is nothing in the tab. Most times, I am waiting to copy the email address and there is no way of copying or editing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using 6.4.2.3788 in Windows 10.

Business cards I've scanned are not editable in the desktop app, as reported by many above.  In-fact, they are labeled as re-only. 

This seems pretty dis-functional as the OCR is far from perfect or there may be more fields to fill out later.   Is there a reasonable fix for this?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Chris2411 said:

This seems pretty dis-functional as the OCR is far from perfect or there may be more fields to fill out later.   Is there a reasonable fix for this?

Hi.  See the discussion so far... AFAIK there have been no changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Evernote should understand how time-consuming it is for someone to update/edit the details of a business card scan on an iphone.  I would still bear with it, if the OCR quality were good enough.  Which we all know is not yet there.  Once it's a foreign language, like Japanese, Evernote won't even recognize someone's name on the business card....  hence, moving to another solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, experience the same frustration with read-only business card notes generated with the Android app.  I have totally given up on using the Android app for that purpose.  Instead, I use my Fujitsu Scansnap scanner to scan business cards straight into Evernote as JPEGs.  Evernote's OCR of the JPEGs makes the business cards discoverable via search.  

This allows me to insert an Evernote link (and include other written observations about contacts) from those scanned business contacts to meeting notes.  That way, I can trace those business card contacts back to a meeting they were in.  I cannot codify this contact -> meeting relationship using the read-only business card notes.  Why the Evernote app made the business card notes read-only is a mystery: a bad design call.

The drawback of this approach is that there is no copy-and-paste of email addresses and LinkedIn connectivity that you would get with the Android app business card scan.  I just wished Evernote didn't make those card notes read-only.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I haven't used the business card scanning feature very much, but what I find is that (a) it is not possible to add any text except in a text field that is already present (e.g., Name, Email, etc.); but (b) in those text fields, I can add and delete text as I wish. Some cards that I've scanned previously have a Notes field, and in such a field I can write whatever I want. (I can't remember if I added that field manually when scanning the card, or whether it was created for me.) Even without a Notes field, it is possible to type at length into an existing field (e.g., Name, Title, Company). So it's not that the business card notes can't be edited at all; but it is definitely impossible to do free-form editing, because they are not free-form notes in the first place. Again, this is based on limited experience and testing.

• Level 5*

Still don't see the objection to having another note alongside the business card note.  Search the contact name and you get (at least) two hits.  Add a 'contact' tag and you can get to the card plus extra notes.  Add whatever information and background you like in the second note - it's a standard open format.  (This also has the benefit that if demonstrating the feature you can show anyone the business card note you created with an individual's details,  without the added "really boring convo I left as soon as I could..." comments in the extra note....)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I just found something that may help some of you.

Originally, I had a similar problem: business cards scanned with (latest IOS version as of today) Scannable are not editable in Windows 10 desktop Evernote (also latest as of today). Pretty dumb, i thought, given that I remember the same problem from about 1-2 years ago.

Anyway, one workaround is to actually open the business card saved on the desktop by double clicking it. Edits done there seem to work all right. I'm still currently testing, but it looks like it's doing the trick.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

I use Scannable 2.2 (998) on my iPhone to capture business card and this works well.  On Mac OS Sierra (v 10.12.6) and Evernote 6.12.1 Beta 1 I still have the issue that whenever I try and type in the "add notes" section to the business card, after 1 or 2 key strokes the cursor jumps to the beginning again, making it almost impossible to add notes to the business card.

• 1 month later...

I can't fathom that this issue still exists.  If I scan a business card in the Android app, it creates a note with a small 'notes' field.  When I try to edit that note in the latest 6.8.1 windows app, it won't let me because it says the card scan note was created by another app?  As in 'Evernote'?  To add to the frustration, that small note field is useless too, when typed in inside the windows app it randomly moves the cursor in front of the first word, creating wonderful word salad if you don't stay on top of it.  The workaround is to create another note and merge, but that's more work that shouldn't be necessary and a messy note with my personal 'notes' in 2 different locations.  I'm forced to do additional editing that I shouldn't have to.

• 1 month later...

The business card scanned on my Android has problems that I can not edit yet.
I am a Premium & Beta Tester, and my environment is:
Windows 10:
Version 6.8.5.6298 (306298) Prerelease (CE Build ce - 1.36.3494)
Android 8.0:
Version 7.15

The card scanned on Android remains locked on Evernote Web.
I think there is a problem with the Android application, but I think that it has not been solved.
Because the "memo" field also disappeared.

Aside from that, since the business card scanned on Android ignores the setting information of the preserved destination notebook, this service seems to have many problems in the Android application.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, gekogeko21 said:

I think there is a problem with the Android application, but I think that it has not been solved.
Because the "memo" field also disappeared.

Hi.  The Android Beta test forum is (for some reason) here,  and the developers there will be interested in your thoughts - I haven't used the business card scanning in a while but even though you get a warning that the card note 'might not be usable in the original application' (or something like that) if you edit,  it is (or at least was) possible to add to that note if you wish. 

As we probably said above,  you can also merge another note with the card note to add more details,  or extend the information available.  Agreed the business card scan isn't as good as it could be,  and the Android Beta may have removed some features - but that's what Beta's are for:  to experiment with features and content and get feedback from users.  If you're using scanning a lot,  I'd suggest you opt out of the Beta apps for a while until this gets sorted out...

• 1 month later...
On 2017/12/6 at 9:58 PM, gazumped said:

I'd suggest you opt out of the Beta apps for a while until this gets sorted out...

Hi.

I opted out of the beta tester program.

Just the public version 7.16 was delivered, I applied this update, but the problems I reported remain and have not changed.

As you have suggested, there seems to be no way to merge notes.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I scan business cards, on ios..
'the name shows, all data is correct. Thwen I save the card..and the name disappears. The note is labled "business card".
I ask genuinely, why is this a "premium priced app" since it behaves like open source college projects ?
1. name goes to note title with business name if avail. These should be reversible.
John Smith, Teacher Inc.
or
Teach Inc., John Smith
or
Smith, John, Teach Inc.

I am not sure what is so difficult about this..
I know you guys have alot of other issues like Tables being set to not render due to bad backend clode cleanup...
or <hr/>'s that break the page rendering too..
honestly, this is not rocket science.  I should think a half-competent person could fix all of these issues inside of 2 months WITH learning curve, for all plats.

// FRUSTRATED . forgive me.. but this is teeth wrenching stuff since it is so gawd-awfully simple...
Business card OCR -> Name -> note title. ****DONE****

I just have been realizing that

a. Scannable and the option to scan the business card via EN iOS app exist

b. Scanning business cards are a premium feature

Did anybody test whether the problems persist when using the EN iOS app? Might the premium feature-ness have anything to do with the problems?

I actually started a similar topic in case anybody wants to drop by:

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, leonardwulf said:

Hello, can you tell me which card scanners (wanna use PenPower, but don't sure) the app supports? or indicate where you can find such information.
Thanks in advance

Hi.  Any scanner can save to Evernote - this thread is talking about using the Evernote mobile app and the device camera to capture details into a specific format.  That won't work with any external scanner,  just the main Evernote app or Evernote's Scannable stand-alone.