Why is Evernote so slow its barely usable.

I noticed around 2 weeks ago Evernote was extremely slow. I thought one of my notes was getting to large and I created a new one. Things seemed ok for about a week and it happened again. Evernote has not worked properly in almost a week. When I open Evernote I must wait for at least 30 seconds before I can get a response from anything I try to do within the program. When I open a note I must wait the same length of time before I can edit the note. Evernote does not work properly using IOS, Windows, or Android. But, the delays seem somewhat less using an IOS device. I have not noticed any other issues with any of my devices. The problem seems isolated to Evernote. I really like the program but if this continues I will need to find something new.

Thanks

I noticed around 2 weeks ago Evernote was extremely slow. I thought one of my notes was getting to large and I created a new one. Things seemed ok for about a week and it happened again. Evernote has not worked properly in almost a week. When I open Evernote I must wait for at least 30 seconds before I can get a response from anything I try to do within the program. When I open a note I must wait the same length of time before I can edit the note. Evernote does not work properly using IOS, Windows, or Android. But, the delays seem somewhat less using an IOS device. I have not noticed any other issues with any of my devices. The problem seems isolated to Evernote. I really like the program but if this continues I will need to find something new.

Thanks

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82129-ios-evernote-suddenly-way-to-slow-typing-delays/

And...

I am among one of the long time, big time Evernote users who is migrating away.  I have chronicled my issues on the board in a few other threads (search on 'duet', if you are so inclined.)  I had the same reaction you did, when I heard about the increased upload limit - a LOL/WTF moment.  I wondered why so much had been going so horribly wrong with EN in recent months & the increased upload limit was a bit like someone intentionally breaking your legs and then giving you $100 for your trouble. (That may be a bit extreme...maybe.)  I used to have over 64,000 notes in my main account & several thousand in my duet account.  I'm in the process of moving them out b/c my main account is totally unusable on either the Windows desktop or the iOS app (iPhone & iPad).  I had a workaround (the duet account) that worked for about a year & I would have stayed with that except that the shared notebooks started not working as they originally did.  Then they fixed it after several months, but then they got screwed up again a few weeks later.  Then they temporarily removed all shared notebooks, then brought them back.  Yada, yada, yada.  So when I started having to use workarounds for my workarounds that were required b/c the app didn't work as it should, in the first place combined with the divorcing of EN from much of its client base (that has been evident in the past about six months), I decided EN is no longer the app/company for me.  It's a darned shame, too b/c EN (when it worked) was the most amazing product, IMO.  I'm migrating to Onenote, which is the second best option for me out there.  But it's not as great as Evernote (was.)

• 4 months later...

I too am experiencing the same slowness with typing on my Samsung phone and Tablet, especially with what seems to be long notes.  Per another users comments I tried the following and it fixed the issues with these particular notes and slow typing.  It seems to have something to do with the amount of formatting in the background or perhaps multiple formats in the background, e.g. copying and pasting from various resources into the same note.

I copied the note, cut it out and pasted it into MS Word, clicked the unformat button to remove background formatting, cut/copy it again and pasted it back into my Evernote entry and sluggish typing was not longer a problem.

Maybe it will work for you also.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I am using Evernote Mac Premium 6.8 and Evernote IOS 7.14 on my iphone and 7.15 on my iPad. They all run impossibly slow. The iPad often stalls at the opening green screen. I deleted Evernote on it and completely redownloaded all my notes with no difference in response. On my Mac there is an extremely long delay when I first open it each day, enough so I go and work on something else while it wakes up fully. When I search, the note will open but with no title or content; left alone, it usually loads. I force quit and send it reports daily. Any suggestions. I am slowly migrating to Google Drive but I am truly invested in Evernote and would prefer a solution. 

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Karolyne said:

I am using Evernote Mac Premium 6.8 . . .

On my Mac there is an extremely long delay when I first open it each day, enough so I go and work on something else while it wakes up fully. When I search, the note will open but with no title or content; left alone, it usually loads. I force quit and send it reports daily.

Sorry to hear about the poor performance of EN Mac.  It is certainly not the norm in my experience.  I am running Evernote 6.7.1 (453574) on macOS 10.11.4, with 16K+ notes.

What macOS are you running?

If you have tried all the typical fixes (restart, etc), and EN Mac is still running very slow, then you may want to try a clean reinstall.  Could be some corrupt/missing files that are causing the issue.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

11 hours ago, Karolyne said:

I am using Evernote Mac Premium 6.8 and Evernote IOS 7.14 on my iphone and 7.15 on my iPad. They all run impossibly slow. The iPad often stalls at the opening green screen. I deleted Evernote on it and completely redownloaded all my notes with no difference in response. On my Mac there is an extremely long delay when I first open it each day, enough so I go and work on something else while it wakes up fully. When I search, the note will open but with no title or content; left alone, it usually loads. I force quit and send it reports daily. Any suggestions. I am slowly migrating to Google Drive but I am truly invested in Evernote and would prefer a solution. 

Have you tried resetting your PRAM on the Mac? Or the SMC?

Here’s how to reset your PRAM:

1. Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
  2. Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. You have to make sure you get those keys pressed before the gray screen comes up or it won’t work.
  3. Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
  4. Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.

When you log back in, you’ll probably will have to adjust your mouse speed, time and date/timezone, and a few other things, but otherwise you should be good to go. Back in the day, we would often let the PRAM zap several times (like 2 or 3) to make sure it was clear. Sometimes, in fact, the machine needed that kind of kick in the pants to clear everything out. However, today’s Macs seem to be good to go with a one shot zap, so no worries there.

Resetting the SMC

If you have a MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc that you can remove the battery from here is what you do:

1. Shut down the computer (again, full-on off here)
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe plug from the machine
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Press the power button for 5 seconds and release
  5. Put the battery back in and reconnect the MagSafe cord
  6. Turn your machine back on with the power button

For MacBook Pros, MacBook Airs, and MacBooks where you can’t remove the battery on your own, here’s what you do:

1. Turn off your machine (really, you knew this was coming at step one)
  2. Keep the MagSafe adapter plugged in.
  3. Press at the same time shift-option-control (on the left side of the machine) and the power button
  4. Let go
  5. Turn your machine back on with the power button.

Note that you keep the MagSafe in for MacBooks that have the built-in battery and out for MacBooks where you can pull the battery out.

For Mac Minis, Mac Pros, iMacs, and Xserves (really on a server?):

1. Shut the machine down
  2. Unplug it from the power
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds
  4. Plug it back in and turn it on.

On 7/25/2016 at 4:38 PM, Asa Shatkin said:

I'm also experiencing the same / freezing / lag in the browser-based version. I'm in the latest version of chrome on a 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 imac running 10.11.4 el capitan ... it's so slow it's just become unusable. Any suggestions?

Yes, the browser version is terrible slow.   I've tried Internet explorer, Chrome, Opera - all latests updated programs and the browser version is unusable slow.  I only noticed this recently.  I use mutliple computers at work and can't install it on all of them even when it was free for many, so the browser version is what I use anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have over 1000 notes in about 40 notebooks.  When I attempt to organize and sort these notes, it isn't really possible unless I sit and wait for nearly 3 minutes before I can make my next move.  My operating system is Windows 10 laptop.  Is this something that will be resolved in the near future?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, GarySam said:

Why is Evernote so damn slow when searching for key words? 

This technology has been available for decades... Should Evernote just open-source and let the experts fix it?

Which platform in particular?

Sorry - please forgive my gruff comment (above). Too much coffee, not enough sleep, and tight deadlines (always).

Here's the scenario:

Win7 - 64. Big computer with a fast i7 CPU and 32GB ram.

1) Just updated (today) to latest release. At that point, text search ground to a painfully slow pace. This machine, win7, is running as a VM. I give this VM 12GB ram and 4 cores. 

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, GarySam said:

Sorry - please forgive my gruff comment (above). Too much coffee, not enough sleep, and tight deadlines (always).

Here's the scenario:

Win7 - 64. Big computer with a fast i7 CPU and 32GB ram.

1) Just updated (today) to latest release. At that point, text search ground to a painfully slow pace. This machine, win7, is running as a VM. I give this VM 12GB ram and 4 cores. 

No prob.  One thing to try is to rebuild the index.  Hold the Ctrl key while pressing Help in the menu bar.  Then select Recreate Full Text Search Index. 

IMO EN is more impacted by IO and memory than CPU, improving any helps, but more mileage with disk improvements.  The above should help with disk, I would hope.  FWIW, I installed an SSD some years back which eliminated any speed issues I was having.  I'm on a 3 year old laptop with 8GB of RAM with no response time issues.  FWIW.

Image.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The software has barely functioned for at least six months or a year.  I'm running Operating system 10.2.1 (14D27) on my iPhone 6+ and Win10 on an old Dell Latitude 630 laptop.  No other programs have problems.

Any ideas out there? Or is Evernote trying to go out of business the hard way?

• Level 5*

I have no speed issues on Win 10.  IOS v8 is a different story though.  

For Win 10, you could try using the extended help menu.  While holding Ctrl click on the Help menu.  Select the Optimize data base option.  You can also turn off the context option on the Tools - Options - Note panel.  More drastic option is to get a Solid State Disc, but it does clear up the issue in most cases. Worked for me anyway.

Image.png.65355f3951333d9913cf4db76253617c.png

I have mac os and have experienced really slow usage. I can't even use the search feature. When I go to copy notes the wheel comes up and I just sit there. None of my other programs on my computer act like this slow. I have a very fast solid state drive and plenty of ram and fast quad core i7 processor. Can someone please help me understand what is going on or what to do so I can search notes again and not have it run ultra slow? thanks! 

I have EN on Galaxy S7 works fine, including fast sync across 4G network.

Have EN on Win10 desktop. This has become very slow, and often fails to sync which makes it massively irritating - defeats the main purpose for me of updating some key info between the two devices. Problems started 4Q16. I understand that EN has been migrating to new cloud servers. So question is what have you done EN? and when will normal service resume?

9 hours ago, Jerry Spock said:

I have EN on Galaxy S7 works fine, including fast sync across 4G network.

Have EN on Win10 desktop. This has become very slow, and often fails to sync which makes it massively irritating - defeats the main purpose for me of updating some key info between the two devices. Problems started 4Q16. I understand that EN has been migrating to new cloud servers. So question is what have you done EN? and when will normal service resume?

I can't even do a proper search. I search for a person and it doesn't even come up in search like before. How is that even possible? Is there a way to re-sync everything? Can't figure it out? 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

Is there a way to re-sync everything? Can't figure it out? 

If you delete your database, it will be rebuilt from the Evernote servers
Warning: The rebuild does not include unsynced notes or Local Notebooks

A less drastic process is to rebuild your search index

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

If you delete your database, it will be rebuilt from the Evernote servers
Warning: The rebuild does not include unsynced notes or Local Notebooks

A less drastic process is to rebuild your search index

How do you do both of these options with the Mac version? Everything seems to be pc related. 

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

How do you do both of these options with the Mac version? Everything seems to be pc related. 

We're posting in the Windows forum, you might want to post in the Mac forum

To rebuild the index on Macs, hold down the option key and click Help58a5c2f43d28e_ScreenShot2017-02-16at7_17_00AM.png.036dbdcf3109d9223bee68f800d9eab6.png
Help > Troubleshooting > Recreate Full Text Search Index

To locate the database folder click on Evernote > About and press the option key.  After clicking on Open Database folder you will see the folder.  
It is named a number, as in  nnnnnnnn
Close Evernote, and move this folder to your desktop.  You can delete it later

Untitled.jpeg.a114dd093c761a7843c76754c22676c2.jpeg                                       

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We're posting in the Windows forum, you might want to post in the Mac forum

To rebuild the index on Macs, hold down the option key and click Help58a5c2f43d28e_ScreenShot2017-02-16at7_17_00AM.png.036dbdcf3109d9223bee68f800d9eab6.png
Help > Troubleshooting > Recreate Full Text Search Index

To locate the database folder click on Evernote > About and press the option key.  After clicking on Open Database folder you will see the folder.  
It is named a number, as in  nnnnnnnn
Close Evernote, and move this folder to your desktop.  You can delete it later

Untitled.jpeg.a114dd093c761a7843c76754c22676c2.jpeg                                       

Thanks, where is the mac forum? Maybe they can move it? 

• 1 month later...

I had problems with the slowness of Evernote ever since I saved a large amount of notes from the web pages. Struggled for 1 year now. I actually have an SSD and evernote is installed on the SSD, BUT --- I didn't save my notes on the SSD. So today when I moved all my notes on the SSD, I really felt like all the 1 yr of constipation has finally resolved and it just feels ... AWESOME...

• 8 months later...

Archived