1. Highlight and copy text within a note

2. Create new note

3. Paste copied text to title field

4. Edit note

5. Copy note link (waiting to save)

6. Find way back to previous note, highlight same text, and paste new link

Potential workflow

1. Highlight text within note

2. "Create note from text" (Evernote replaces text with link to newly created note; lets you choose notebook and tags in a dialog)

3. Edit new note (title already populated with highlighted text)

This would be a wonderfully welcome improvement to the creation and use of note links!

I think that would be a very cool feature to have! Especially for those us who use Evernote to take reading notes.

You've got my vote.

Current workflow to create linked note:

1. Highlight and copy text within a note

2. Create new note

3. Paste copied text to title field

4. Edit note

5. Copy note link (waiting to save)

6. Find way back to previous note, highlight same text, and paste new link

Potential workflow

1. Highlight text within note

2. "Create note from text" (Evernote replaces text with link to newly created note; lets you choose notebook and tags in a dialog)

3. Edit new note (title already populated with highlighted text)

This would be a wonderfully welcome improvement to the creation and use of note links!

• Level 5*

Until/IF Evernote provides this feature, you may be able to achieve the same thing using keyboard macros, like Keyboard Maestro (Mac) and AutoHotKey (Win).  There may be others.

Until/IF Evernote provides this feature, you may be able to achieve the same thing using keyboard macros, like Keyboard Maestro (Mac) and AutoHotKey (Win).  There may be others.

As the OP said in 2, you'd be able to automatically add replace text with an Evernote link with keyboard maestro?

The ability to create a new note from highlighted text within a note is already there if you're on a Mac and use "services" then select Evernote after highlighting the text. You could do this and create multiple notes then merge them into one note or a notebook, but this doesn't give the note links like the OP wanted.

Is there a possibility using keyboard maestro on OSX to append text from within a specific note to a specific note as you can with drafts or workflow in ios?

• Level 5*

Is there a possibility using keyboard maestro on OSX to append text from within a specific note to a specific note as you can with drafts or workflow in ios?

Keyboard Maestro is very capable, including the ability to call AppleScripts (and vice-versa).  So I think that it is possible, but depends on the specifics.  One of the challenges would be to identify to KM the Note you want to use.   AppleScript may be able to do this better than KM.

BTW, you can download and try the full version of KM for 30 days for free (no credit card) -- no limits.  The more I use it, the more uses I find for it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions! I use AHK for all sorts of things, within and outside Evernote. The caveat in this setting, as JMichael pointed out, is that the script would then have to find a way to go back to the previous note and paste the linked text in the same position as it was highlighted. As of now, if you just follow Alt-Left to the previous note, the position within the note is lost.

Hope this can be implemented someday.

Archived