Change order of Notebooks

Absolutely yes. I found the solution... which is as tacky and impractical as it gets... but it is doable:

• Set up a list of stacks in the left panel, numbering/ alphabetizing them. The names are arbitrary. These are simply placeholders.
  • Set up a ghost notebook in each stack to perform an auxiliary function - allowing the continued existence of the stack when your "primary" notebook, whatever it is, is dragged out of the stack,  and thereby not thwarting your efforts at every turn. Make sure to prefix it with something standard that places it first or last, depending on where your eyes rest when scanning your list of stacks and notebooks.
  • Finally drag and drop your real/ primary notebooks from one stack to another, shuffling them around until you have the desired order. 

** This could be a highly effective strategy if you don't mind the fact that roughly two thirds of your list will be taken up by ghost/ placeholder notebooks and stacks  :P

OR...

You could prefix the notebooks and stacks accordingly with a little brain-wracking and forethought.

The hoops we have to jump through...  :blink:

• Level 5*

...I've heard of workarounds before, but geeze... adding 100-200% more items just to force an arbitrary order? Ouch!! :) (in fairness, you did say it's "tacky and impractical")

Prefixes are a lot less messy.

The hoops we have to jump through...

Or, just learn to not care, as Evernote -- in the Windows client anyways -- usually makes recently referenced notebooks readily available...

• Level 5*

Can I drag and drop to change the order of established Notebooks?  If not is there a way to do that?

One option would be to create a shortcut for each NB that you want to order.  Shortcuts appear at the top of the list, and can be manually ordered.

Another method of selecting NBs:  use the shortcut key to "jump to a notebook".  This brings up the list of Notebooks (in alphanumeric order), but as soon as you start typing it auto-searches for a NB.

...I've heard of workarounds before, but geeze... adding 100-200% more items just to force an arbitrary order? Ouch!! :) (in fairness, you did say it's "tacky and impractical")

Prefixes are a lot less messy.

The hoops we have to jump through...

Or, just learn to not care, as Evernote -- in the Windows client anyways -- usually makes recently referenced notebooks readily available...

You must admit that it is possible, though... no matter how absurd ;-)

Some workarounds were never meant to be.

One option would be to create a shortcut for each NB that you want to order.  Shortcuts appear at the top of the list, and can be manually ordered.

The most eloquent, if not only, drag-and-drop solution for ordering notebooks.

• 2 years later...

Archived