How do you completely backup all your Evernote Files?

So how do you do this

I want a physical hard copy of all my evernote notes and attachments in an evernote readable format backed up onto my local hard drive

exporting out notes just exports XML which is simply going to be text based notes, tags, among other things - but not attachments

or how can i back my attachments up easily

So how do you do this

I want a physical hard copy of all my evernote notes and attachments in an evernote readable format backed up onto my local hard drive

exporting out notes just exports XML which is simply going to be text based notes, tags, among other things - but not attachments

or how can i back my attachments up easily

Backup has been discussed on the board at great length. It's also helpful to mention what client you are using. In a nutshell, for the Windows desktop client, you backup the your-user-name.exb file. Please search the board for Mac and/or for more info on backup & restore.

• Level 5*

One thing to consider in your backup strategy:  Restore

Evernote does not provide a way to do a true restore.  It is actually an import and creation of new Notes, which breaks all of your Note links, and impacts your monthly  upload allowance.

The only true restore I have found is at Revert.io.    They do a backup of changed Notes (of your Sync'd Notes in the EN Cloud) several times a day, and offer a true restore at the Note(s), Notebook, and account levels.  I am using it now and still in the process of evaluation, but so far it looks very good.   But this does NOT backup Local Notebooks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:  Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM CDT

If you'd like to avoid all of the off-topic chatter below, you can skip to the chat log of my chat with Evernote Support.

This answers the very important question:

Can I restore my account from a backup of the EN Win Database (exb file)?

Evernote does not provide a way to do a true restore.  It is actually an import and creation of new Notes, which breaks all of your Note links, and impacts your monthly  upload allowance.

Absolutely not true, as you & I have discussed a few times before. There IS a way to do a restore via Mac and/or Windows clients that is a true restore & does not break links or go against your upload limit. Not going to go through this with you yet again. Please do not confuse the OP with your misinformation.

OP, again, search on backup/restore. Or, if you have a premium account, you can submit a support ticket.

• Level 5*

Absolutely not true, as you & I have discussed a few times before. There IS a way to do a restore via Mac and/or Windows clients that is a true restore & does not break links or go against your upload limit. Not going to go through this with you yet again. Please do not confuse the OP with your misinformation.

OP, again, search on backup/restore. Or, if you have a premium account, you can submit a support ticket.

BNF, I wish you were right, but you are not.  If it can be done, then you can easily provide a link to the detailed steps to achieve a true restore.   I won't believe it until you do.

@daphoenix7207:  Don't accept BNF's statement on blind faith.  Do your own research and be convinced you know how to do a true restore before you select a backup  strategy.

One thing to consider in your backup strategy: Restore

Evernote does not provide a way to do a true restore. It is actually an import and creation of new Notes, which breaks all of your Note links, and impacts your monthly upload allowance.

BNF, I wish you were right, but you are not. If it can be done, then you can easily provide a link to the detailed steps to achieve a true restore. I won't believe it until you do.

@daphoenix7207: Don't accept BNF's statement on blind faith. Do your own research and be convinced you know how to do a true restore before you select a backup strategy.

JMiU, I have already provided info for you in the past. At least twice. Like I said, I'm not going around & around with you yet again. The fact that you don't understand how to do it doesn't mean it doesn't work or is confusing to others.

• Level 5*

BNF, that's a non-sequitur answer.  You are just avoiding the question.  The detailed process is not needed for me but for the OP (daphoenix7207) and others who might read this thread.  There is no "going around & around" needed.  You keep trying to make this personal.  It is not.  It is very technical.  Just post the link to the detailed process, if you have it.

Why should anyone believe you until you post the process (or a link to it) ???

JMiU, I have already provided info for you in the past. At least twice. Like I said, I'm not going around & around with you yet again. The fact that you don't understand how to do it doesn't mean it doesn't work or is confusing to others.

• Level 5*

BNF, I wish you were right, but you are not.  If it can be done, then you can easily provide a link to the detailed steps to achieve a true restore.   I won't believe it until you do.

@daphoenix7207:  Don't accept BNF's statement on blind faith.  Do your own research and be convinced you know how to do a true restore before you select a backup  strategy.

BNF, that's a non-sequitur answer.  You are just avoiding the question.  The detailed process is not needed for me but for the OP (daphoenix7207) and others who might read this thread.  There is no "going around & around" needed.  You keep trying to make this personal.  It is not.  It is very technical.  Just post the link to the detailed process, if you have it.

Why should anyone believe you until you post the process (or a link to it) ???

The original poster already found the link, and posted it here. It's in the third post of this topic, Did you bother to follow it? Did you bother to read it? Do you disagree with the referenced method?

• Level 5*

The original poster already found the link, and posted it here. It's in the third post of this topic, Did you bother to follow it? Did you bother to read it? Do you disagree with the referenced method?

Yes, I did read it.  For ease of reference, here is Post#3 that you referred to:

You're welcome!

I think I am understanding you to say that you copy the entire folder, for example mine contains "myname.exb" and a couple of other files as well (e.g. "myname".esb.back and "myname.exb.thumbnail) I could simply choose to copy the all important "mynamefile.exb" and that would be sufficient, but If I copied the entire folder --I would also be backing up the other 2 files I saw in that file folder as well?

Correct. Occasionlly, when I'm backing up, I end up getting the message that the target drive isn't large enough & it's b/c of a bunch of files in the attachments folder (I think that's the one.) So I just delete them all, so I can get a good backup on another physical drive. (BECAUSE...the attachments are actually stored in the exb file. The ones in the attachment folder are the temp ones used when viewing the attachment...or something like that...) But indeed, per CTO Dave Engberg, the exb file is the crucial one. So if you just do that one, you should be covered.

One last question, do you have any clue what the "myname".esb.back file would be?

No clue. smile.png

Sorry, but I don't see any reference to "restore" in this post.

Maybe you meant another one?

• Level 5*

No. I said: "The original poster already found the link, and posted it here. It's in the third post of this topic, Did you bother to follow it? Did you bother to read it? Do you disagree with the referenced method?"

"This topic" refers to the current topic here, not in the linked topic. The link posted takes you directly to directions to save the Evernote database, which directly answers the original poster's question question. And guess what? Farther down in that linked topic you'll find instructions to restore that database. I'd suggest that you back off, and stop harassing BnF.

• Level 5*

@jefito:  You are the one who is harassing me, and you are getting off-topic and and on the edge of violating Forum rules.  I have been asking some prudent questions in a non-personal, professional manner.

Again, I have read the topic from the link, and there is no restore process for when your sync'd notes have been lost that is a true restore from any user backup.  There is no provision for Evernote to take the user's local database and treat it as the master copy.  

Backup is important, but restore is just as important.  All of the processes I have seen require the export of Notes to ENEX and then import of those backup to the account, which loses Note links (and other things) and impacts monthly upload allowance.  So while you may be able to recover your content, there are limitations.

A true restore from user backup would result in returning all of the data (Notes, links, Notebooks, tags, etc) to a prior state before loss of data occurred, without any limitations or penalties.

If you guys know where the detailed process for a true restore is located, it should be easy enough to just provide us with the link.

No. I said: "The original poster already found the link, and posted it here. It's in the third post of this topic, Did you bother to follow it? Did you bother to read it? Do you disagree with the referenced method?"

"This topic" refers to the current topic here, not in the linked topic. The link posted takes you directly to directions to save the Evernote database, which directly answers the original poster's question question. And guess what? Farther down in that linked topic you'll find instructions to restore that database. I'd suggest that you back off, and stop harassing BnF.

• Level 5*

The linked topic talks specifically about the .exb file in Windows, not ENEX; I don't know why you brought that up. The .exb files are known to contain local notebooks. The linked topic also talks about how you restore a .exb file, courtesy of Wern. I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse here, but again, you're not helping anyone. Have it your way.

• Level 5*

If you restore a .exb file that is different and older than your sync'd account in the EN Cloud, as soon as you sync the Notes in the restored .exb file will be overwritten from the EN Cloud.

So, simply restoring the EN database (.exb) will NOT restore Notes to the EN Cloud that were deleted or changed after the date of the .exb file.

@jefito:  I suggest you leave all personal characterizations out of your posts since that would be a violation of Forum rules.

If you have anything technical to offer that will help us learn how to better backup and restore Evernote, please feel free to post.

I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse here, but again, you're not helping anyone. Have it your way.

Look them up, they are not the same. Practice is just ONE form/part of preparation.

Good grief JM...will you PLEASE STOP WITH THE NITPICKING???? It only adds UNWANTED NOISE. Get a hobby or something.

@Gaz: You have contributed as much as anyone to "scaring the audience".

If you'll look back over the posts, I make a joke about reinstalling, and then suggested that the user submit a bug report.

It was you that started this whole debate about bugs by making the rebuttal comment "I don't think this qualifies as a 'bug'", when you didn't have the factual basis or logic to make such a claim.

You can move on by stop trying to make me look like the bad guy, and just deal with the technical issues as we agreed to earlier.

You do a darned good job of making yourself look like the bad guy. Let's see...this week alone, you've nitpicked with csihilling:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/page-2#entry345419

Jefito & GM:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41178-evernote-annoyance-creating-sub-folders/page-3

And Gaz. (And I've not even linked to the various threads - this week alone).

Maybe you should step away from the keyboard & take a lot of deep breaths, since you seem to be a huge contributor of (to use your term), noise.

And the madness continues...JMiU please stop arguing about and nitpicking EVERY SINGLE THING THAT someone you don't like says. MOVE ON.https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/?p=346772

• Level 5*

I guess when you have no technical basis to support your erroneous statements you resort to name calling and personal attacks.

I'm sure everyone is thrilled to see that long post of nonsense.

It all comes down to this:

If you guys know where the detailed process for a true restore is located, it should be easy enough to just provide us with the link.

• Level 5*

In the interest of bringing this thread back ON-topic, and to make sure I have not missed something, I had a session with the Evernote Support Chat.

My Question to Support Chat:

Here is the last part where I summarized the Q&A.

You can view the entire chat here.

Me: So, let me summarize to make sure I understand correctly.

If I have lost Notes due to deletion, or anything else, and emptied my EN Trash, and Sync'd with the EN Cloud, then ...
The ONLY way I can restore these lost Notes from my local backup is to restore the EXB file, and export to ENEX files. Then ...
Then I have to restore the current EXB file, and IMPORT these Notes from the ENEX. . .
Since the import really creates new Notes, and links I had to the original, lost Notes, will be broken
If I move these imported Notes back into a Sync'd NB, like they were originally, then that will go against my monthly upload.
Do I have that correct?
Max, are you there?

Max: Yes, just reading over those steps.

Me: OK, take your time.

Max: Yes, those all look corret.
correct*

Me: Is there any better way to restore my Notes from my backup?

Max: However, if you open your application with the backed-up database while you have internet connectivity, the sync function will overwrite it with the latest version of your database (without the deleted notes) so make sure that you do not have your internet on when doing that.
No, not really. We place a warning in each version of Evernote when clearing the Trash that all of the notes will be permanently removed from your account. 

Me: OK, thanks for that. So, if I restore an old version of the EXB file where the Notes still exist, if I were to sync with the EN Cloud, the sync process would delete these Notes, correct?

Max: Yes, it would overwrite that database with a version of your notes that is most up to date from our servers, meaning a version that does not have those notes in it.

@JM, you might be right on this one... but you still haven't admitted that my argument against implementing preset sort orders for specific notebooks (on a completely unrelated topic in a completely unrelated thread) holds any water  :P

• Level 5*

@daphoneix7207,

Relative to your question, IMO, EXB and ENEX are both valid backup/archive strategies for synced and local notebooks.  Restores can be problematic though, and EXB and ENEX backups have the some restore issues, amplified by the time since the backup/archive.  

From a simple archiving "just in case and not likely to be used" perspective EXB is probably best, quick and simple.  

For partial restores ENEX is easier since all you have to do is import the ENEX file, move the notes you want and then delete the imported notebook that was created.  EXB is harder for partial restores since you you have to drop internet connectivity, move your EXBs around, export the notes you want from the backup EXB, re-swap your EXBs, import the notes you wanted, turn the internet back on.  Not for the faint of heart for a few notes restore but definitely doable.

For an unintended full restore, God forbid, it is often best to rebuild your database from the cloud and then import the ENEX backups of your local notebooks should you have any.  Unless your EXB is so recent that you aren't concerned with any new note or updates loss.

Local note links can/will get broken so a practice of minimizing local note links and keeping the link name the same as the note title can mitigate the pain.

Personally I do both, an EXB copy and ENEX's of all notebooks, taken at the same time.  Then based upon the scale of the problem that might occur I have two paths to travel.  A path not traveled at this point.  FWIW.

In the interest of bringing this thread back ON-topic, and to make sure I have not missed something, I had a session with the Evernote Support Chat.

My Question to Support Chat:

Here is the last part where I summarized the Q&A.

You can view the entire chat here.

Me: So, let me summarize to make sure I understand correctly.

If I have lost Notes due to deletion, or anything else, and emptied my EN Trash, and Sync'd with the EN Cloud, then ...

The ONLY way I can restore these lost Notes from my local backup is to restore the EXB file, and export to ENEX files. Then ...

Then I have to restore the current EXB file, and IMPORT these Notes from the ENEX. . .

Since the import really creates new Notes, and links I had to the original, lost Notes, will be broken

If I move these imported Notes back into a Sync'd NB, like they were originally, then that will go against my monthly upload.

Do I have that correct?

Max, are you there?

Max: Yes, just reading over those steps.

Me: OK, take your time.

Max: Yes, those all look corret.

correct*

Me: Is there any better way to restore my Notes from my backup?

Max: However, if you open your application with the backed-up database while you have internet connectivity, the sync function will overwrite it with the latest version of your database (without the deleted notes) so make sure that you do not have your internet on when doing that.

No, not really. We place a warning in each version of Evernote when clearing the Trash that all of the notes will be permanently removed from your account.

Me: OK, thanks for that. So, if I restore an old version of the EXB file where the Notes still exist, if I were to sync with the EN Cloud, the sync process would delete these Notes, correct?

Max: Yes, it would overwrite that database with a version of your notes that is most up to date from our servers, meaning a version that does not have those notes in it.

JMiU...AS IVE TOLD YOU AT LEAST TWICE IN THE PAST...ON THIS BOARD...(I would highlight that in blue like you like to do but I'm on my iPad) restore is not a one size fits all. (Feel free to search the board). Your above exchange is simply one example. I don't know why you fail to comprehend this. (Or why you are compelled to nitpick with so many people on this board - now, there's your nonsense!) There are instances where a restore absolutely does not break links and no, enex is not required. Again, I don't know why you fail to understand this. The very fact that after all the years you've been using Evernote and don't know how to restore notes is proof positive that you do not understand the process of restore & should not be advising other users about it.

That. Is. All.

• Level 5*

@BurgersNFires:  IF YOU would actually read the chat log, you would realize that it applies to any case where the user has lost data that has been sync'd to the EN Cloud.

That should represent the large majority of cases where the user needs to restore.  There are a few other cases where the user is moving between machines that a copy of the EXB file will work.   But most users are concerned with cases where they have lost data.

Please quit confusing the users in spite of overwhelming facts from Evernote.  It is clear that it is you who don't understand, and should not be advising users about the restore process.  You continue to fail to present the complete picture.  You seem more interested in personal attacks than in providing clear, accurate information.

You still have NOT presented any detailed process to perform a true restore.  All you do is keep on repeating the same old things, and keep on attacking me.

It is clear you have no real technical basis for your position, or you would have presented it.

If you really wanted to help the users, then you would present a complete process for restoring Evernote in all cases.

• Level 5*

BurgersNFries, I can see that you are having trouble understanding the RESTORE process.

So, based on information from Evernote, let me make it simple for you.

1. A restore (or copy) of the EN Win database (.exb file) will work ONLY if the Notes in the EXB file match what is currently sync'd to the EN Cloud
    1. As the EN Support rep clearly explained, any Notes changed or deleted (and trash emptied) AFTER the EXP date will be overwritten and deleted when the user syncs.
  2. To "restore" lost/changed Notes from a prior EXB requires that the user restore the prior EXP and export those Notes to ENEX, unless he/she already had previously exported them to ENEX.
  3. All Notes imported from ENEX are NEW new Notes from the EN perspective.  They have new GUIDs.  So links to these Notes made previously will no longer work.  And, since they are NEW Notes, moving them into their original sync'd Notebooks will impact the user's monthly upload allowance.

ALL of this was make very clear by the EN Support rep in my chat session.

This whole debate got started when I said "Evernote does not provide a way to do a true restore".

And you responded with "Absolutely not true,"

And even though I have nicely asked several times for you to produce or link to the process for a true restore, you have yet to do so.

So, It is very clear to me that there is NO process for a true restore, only an import of exported Notes.

hm okay I see there's some debate on restore and using 3rd party with evernote

I'm going to ask questions on both sides :P

"The only true restore I have found is at Revert.io.    They do a backup of changed Notes (of your Sync'd Notes in the EN Cloud) several times a day, and offer a true restore at the Note(s), Notebook, and account levels.  I am using it now and still in the process of evaluation, but so far it looks very good.   But this does NOT backup Local Notebooks." 

If it doesn't backup a local notebook how is it backing / linked up in the cloud? 

"Select all Notes

Right-click and choose "Save Attachments . . ."

Okay I didn't realize it was that easy to do, thought it had to be done 1 at a time

Edit: Well it saved lots of things I didn't really want like images / screenshots. Really just wanted PDF attachments, excel sheets, etc

From cshilling:

"@daphoneix7207,

Relative to your question, IMO, EXB and ENEX are both valid backup/archive strategies for synced and local notebooks.  Restores can be problematic though, and EXB and ENEX backups have the some restore issues, amplified by the time since the backup/archive.  

From a simple archiving "just in case and not likely to be used" perspective EXB is probably best, quick and simple.  

--Okay I figured this would be sufficient 99% of the time

For partial restores ENEX is easier since all you have to do is import the ENEX file, move the notes you want and then delete the imported notebook that was created.  EXB is harder for partial restores since you you have to drop internet connectivity, move your EXBs around, export the notes you want from the backup EXB, re-swap your EXBs, import the notes you wanted, turn the internet back on.  Not for the faint of heart for a few notes restore but definitely doable.

--I guess I would run a partial restore if something important was permanently deleted or some tags weren't done correctly. I actually don't know what the difference between EXB, ENEX file types are

For an unintended full restore, God forbid, it is often best to rebuild your database from the cloud and then import the ENEX backups of your local notebooks should you have any.  Unless your EXB is so recent that you aren't concerned with any new note or updates loss.

--So just use the evernote web version and import local files / manually enter in into evernote web, then download into windows evernote client? 

Local note links can/will get broken so a practice of minimizing local note links and keeping the link name the same as the note title can mitigate the pain.

--Okay this is good to know, I imagine having the same name means I can just use "search titles" for notelinks if they break. 

Personally I do both, an EXB copy and ENEX's of all notebooks, taken at the same time.  Then based upon the scale of the problem that might occur I have two paths to travel.  A path not traveled at this point.  FWIW.

--I still don't know what ENEX vs. EXB's data does, but I'll regularly export notebooks and do a local backup. Then when everything goes bad at least the data will be there and I'll have to spend lots of time fixing it

I'm dumping my local copies into dropbox if that matters. Probably doesn't though

"The only true restore I have found is at Revert.io.    They do a backup of changed Notes (of your Sync'd Notes in the EN Cloud) several times a day, and offer a true restore at the Note(s), Notebook, and account levels.  I am using it now and still in the process of evaluation, but so far it looks very good.   But this does NOT backup Local Notebooks." 

If it doesn't backup a local notebook how is it backing / linked up in the cloud? 

"Select all Notes

Okay I didn't realize it was that easy to do, thought it had to be done 1 at a time

Edit: Well it saved lots of things I didn't really want like images / screenshots. Really just wanted PDF attachments, excel sheets, etc

From cshilling:

"@daphoneix7207,

--Okay I figured this would be sufficient 99% of the time

--I guess I would run a partial restore if something important was permanently deleted or some tags weren't done correctly. I actually don't know what the difference between EXB, ENEX file types are

--So just use the evernote web version and import local files / manually enter in into evernote web, then download into windows evernote client? 

--Okay this is good to know, I imagine having the same name means I can just use "search titles" for notelinks if they break. 

--I still don't know what ENEX vs. EXB's data does, but I'll regularly export notebooks and do a local backup. Then when everything goes bad at least the data will be there and I'll have to spend lots of time fixing it

I'm dumping my local copies into dropbox if that matters. Probably doesn't though

Restores are not one size fits all.  As Csihilling pointed out, it depends upon what has transpired since the last backup & what you are wanting to restore. 

I only backup the EXB file.  I don't export to ENEX b/c if you have a good exb file, you can open it & then create the enex file, should you need/want to.  JMO.  And they are NOT required.

To restore your local (non-sync'd) notebooks (in the event of a hard drive crash) or to move your database to a new computer (upgrading and/or computer loss/theft), the local notebooks would need to be in a recent backup of your exb file.  Simply install Evernote & restore from the good exb file:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22426-how-to-backup-your-windows-client-evernote-database/?p=158514

Then sync:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/21977-location-of-locally-stored-notebooks/?p=162582

This is similar to if you did not use the Windows client since your last backup, which was last week.  Instead, you used the web client to add/modify/delete sync'd notes using the web client.  Then today, you use the Windows client & sync.  Same exact scenario, in essence.  This does NOT break note links or go against your upload limit.  Importing from ENEX files DOES break links & goes against your upload limit.  Another reason I prefer to avoid enex files.

• Level 5*

From cshilling:

Your Evernote data base file has the extension EXB.  This file contains all of your synced and local notebooks and the notes they contain in Evernote's data base format..  If you go to Tools - General you will find the folder that contains your EXB file under the title Evernote local files, not to be confused with local notebooks.  ENEX is the extension of files containing notes that you export.  For example, to export all of the notes in a notebook right click on the notebook and select Export Notes and you will see to the export options.  Select ENEX format and be sure that tags is checked under options and you will create a backup of just that notebook.  ENEX files can be easily imported back into Evernote.  So an EXB backup is a replica of your Evernote data base file, and an ENEX file is an export of selected notes.  Hope this helps.

From cshilling:

Not really.  For a full restore, you will want to reload your synced notebooks from the cloud and then import ENEX files for all of your local notebooks.  You don't want to add your local notebooks to the web.  The web version is the gospel for synced notebooks, nothing to do with local notebooks.  You always want to import local notebooks when restoring anything.

Restores are a bit more complicated when you don't want to do a full restore.  If you accidentally delete a bunch of notes from synced notebooks or a whole synced notebook, then the age and type of your most recent backups will dictate your strategy.  To me the accidental deleting of a mass of notes is the worst case scenario.  If you have a REALLY recent EXB backup, you might consider using an EXB backup to replace the current EXB.  Probably a rare event.  Typically you end up importing the lost notes, preferably from an ENEX file, in my view.  But if you don't have ENEX backups, you can use an EXB backup.

No problem using Dropbox ENEX backups if you like, has a nice redundancy to it.  And yes, the more frequent the backup and perhaps using both EXB and ENEX can facilitate recovery.  I forgot where I saw it on the forum, but there is a post somewhere relative to automating backups using the EN formats.  

I hope this hasn't muddied the waters all the more for you.

For a full restore, you will want to reload your synced notebooks from the cloud and then import ENEX files for all of your local notebooks.  You don't want to add your local notebooks to the web.  The web version is the gospel for synced notebooks, nothing to do with local notebooks.  You always want to import local notebooks when restoring anything.

I disagree about always importing local notebooks when restoring. See my post above yours wrt full restore of local notebooks from an exb file.

• Level 5*

For a full restore, you will want to reload your synced notebooks from the cloud and then import ENEX files for all of your local notebooks.  You don't want to add your local notebooks to the web.  The web version is the gospel for synced notebooks, nothing to do with local notebooks.  You always want to import local notebooks when restoring anything.

I disagree about always importing local notebooks when restoring. See my post above yours wrt full restore of local notebooks from an exb file.

You posted whilst I was typing, oops.  I was referring to anything less than an full restore with an EXB replacement, poor choice of words "restoring anything".  That make more sense?

You posted whilst I was typing, oops.  I was referring to anything less than an full restore with an EXB replacement, poor choice of words "restoring anything".  That make more sense?

Yup.  ;)

Or certain cases where there were very few changes to local notes & the user has a lot of links in local notebooks that they don't want to break.  That whole pesky "not one size fits all" thing again.

• Level 5*

"Select all Notes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Revert.io Evernote Backup and Restore

To understand Revert.io, the best thing to do is visit their web site.

But, in brief, Revert.io accesses ONLY your Evernote account in the EN Cloud, detecting changes to your sync'd Notes.

Since Notes in your Local Notebooks are NOT sync'd by definition, they are not included.  Click on the link for more info on "Local Notebooks".

Attachments

With regard to saving attachments, I should have told you that Evernote considers images as attachments, even though most of us do not.

So, you need to do a Search first which excludes images.

Try this in your Search Box:  (should result in Notes with any type of attachment, but NOT images)

resource:* -resource:image/*

If you just want PDFs try this:

resource:application/pdf

After either of these searches, you can then select all and "Save Attachments..."

ENEX vs EXB

In EN Win, Evernote stores everything in a database that has a file extension of ".exb"

This database file contains Sync'd Notebooks, Local Notebooks, Attachments, Notes, and Note metadata (and more).

ENEX refers to file(s) that contain an export of selected Notes from your Evernote database.

See the Evernote KB article How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks for details.

You may also be interested in the EN KB article Backing up and Restoring Evernote Data under Windows

Sorry for all the confusion/noise in this thread.  Please feel free to ask any further questions that you might have.

• 1 year later...
On 17.03.2015 at 11:15 PM, JMichaelTX said:

If you restore a .exb file that is different and older than your sync'd account in the EN Cloud, as soon as you sync the Notes in the restored .exb file will be overwritten from the EN Cloud.

So, simply restoring the EN database (.exb) will NOT restore Notes to the EN Cloud that were deleted or changed after the date of the .exb file.

@jefito:  I suggest you leave all personal characterizations out of your posts since that would be a violation of Forum rules.

If you have anything technical to offer that will help us learn how to better backup and restore Evernote, please feel free to post.

I faced this problem too. And I've found the tip, how to ease restoring of a EN database (.exb). You can use "local notebooks"

1. unable Internet

2. restore your EN .exb backup files to Datastores

3. In EN Desktop App, create local notebooks (that you need to restore) with an almost same title.

4. replace notes from backup notebooks to local notebooks

5 enable Internet

6. while syncing, It overwrite your restored notebooks and notes, but not local notebooks

7. replace notes from local notebooks to sync notebooks)

With that method, you can easier restore several notes or an entire database)))

Archived