Evernote for Android v7 release

Theresa Pittappilly

Idea

Hello everyone

We just released a new version of the Android app. The update focuses on bringing our app in alignment with Material Design, leading to a cleaner look with bold colors and improved typography. The most noticeable change is to our note editor and the note view where we really tried to simplify these screens with clean and simpler layout and controls. As part of this change we also tried to improve note creation within the app. We've made the Note Create button ('+') be more efficient (the text note option is now right under your finger), as well as make it customizable. Either press and hold on the '+' Note Create button or go to Settings -> Notes to customize the note options. Here is our blog post that captures these changes - https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/03/11/evernote-for-android-gets-a-material-design-update/

We have also made some miscellaneous improvements and fixed bugs based on your feedback. The main improvements were supporting the editing of tags so now you can rename and delete tags within the app, improved quality with the camera, bug fixes related to sharing options and many more. 

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Do let us know if you run into issues. 

28 replies to this idea

below is testing on tablet:

reading note A --> wipe from left and access shortcut to note B --> reading note B --> press "BACK" --> list of all the notes

Is this a bug? Why not returning to note A where I left as in previous versions?

Translation to Croatian is mixed with Serbian-and it seems I just can not do anything about it.

We i Croatia do not talk the same at all-although for the most part it can be somehow understandable. But the translations totally sucks.

If you want translation,give me a note,this is unacceptable for a very long time across versions..

Found it. Thank you, Theresa!

@wordsgood, you are on the correct path. When you get to the list of notes from a specific tag - tap on the overflow menu (three dots in the top, righthand corner of the app). Tapping on that will give you the option to rename/delete a tag.

@candid we believe we have found the fix to the blurry image issue. It will be available in our upcoming release. Sorry for the inconvenience!

@wordsgood, you are on the correct path. When you get to the list of notes from a specific tag - tap on the overflow menu (three dots in the top, righthand corner of the app). Tapping on that will give you the option to rename/delete a tag. 

@candid we believe we have found the fix to the blurry image issue. It will be available in our upcoming release. Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Im having a major problem with the business card camera after the update. Taking a normal picture and inserting into a note works fine, but as soon as I switch to the business card camera all the pictures taken become black blocks. Business card storage is one of my main uses of Evernote, this makes the service useless to me. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm having a similar problem with the Page camera. The recent update now gives and image which appears to be highly over-exposed and out of focus. The results are unusable. I've checked this on my S3 running CM12 (lollipop 5.02), the S3 running OMNI lollipop 5.1, and S2 running Samsung's unmodified version of android 4.4.2 - all show the same behaviour.

Evernote on my Galxy Note 10.1 (1st gen) running CM12 causes a reboot but this is likely due to the rom rather than the app.

The current version of Evernote for Windows Mobile is working as it should giving clear images.

I've posted elsewhere, but both my Samsung device are having this problem. 

Sorry for the inconvenience folks. We've heard that certain devices are having this issue and are investigating what could be causing this. We will get out a fix as soon as we can. 

Do you need logs or anything from us/me to help you identify this or have you been able to successfully repeat this problem?

Hi

where has the option to link one note to another gone ?

If you go to the notes list and press and hold over a note you can copy the notelink for that note.
I used this way before, but since the update I don't have the possibility to choose "copy notelink", I only can share, move, rename and delete . This is on galaxy notes, phone and tablet.
@kruemelswelt - do you see the option to "See all" within the long press menu? Tapping on that should give you that option. (Please make sure you're running the latest version of our app -v7).
I don't have "see all" in my options, just the ones in the pic. Yes, I have the latest version.

Ah, I got it. This option is only shown in the view notebook/notes but not in the view notes/note detail.

Hi

If you go to the notes list and press and hold over a note you can copy the notelink for that note.
I used this way before, but since the update I don't have the possibility to choose "copy notelink", I only can share, move, rename and delete . This is on galaxy notes, phone and tablet.

@kruemelswelt - do you see the option to "See all" within the long press menu? Tapping on that should give you that option. (Please make sure you're running the latest version of our app -v7).

I don't have "see all" in my options, just the ones in the pic. Yes, I have the latest version.

post-251791-0-69407100-1426945583_thumb.

Hi. The only thing that comes up when I select a tag from the tag list, are the notes that have that tag. i.e. If I have a Tag called "Dogs" then tapping that will bring up all notes that have a "Dogs" tag.

Hi.

Adding text to clipped notes seems to be working for me again. Not sure why it didn't the other day.

As for Tags... I'm using the latest Andriod version. I have no problem getting ti the Tags menu, or pulling up all the notes relates with a specific Tag. But I still can't find a way to edit or delete them in the Android app. Checked the overflow menu and it shows no such options.

Theresa, I must be missing something. How does one delete Tags as you mentioned?

@Wordsgood you can go to the Tags screen and choose the tag you want to delete. In the overflow menu you'll see options to rename and delete tags.
@Wordsgood could you let me know what the menu items you see when you tap on a tag within the tag list?

Can someone tell me what the deal is with the big giant "J" in the menu?

Is that a bug or is it supposed to look like that?

I hope not.

Evernote-for-Android-V7.png

We have now added profile pictures to the app. We are using placeholders if a user hasn't set their profile picture (using the first letter of their name). You can change this by tapping on that picture or going into settings.  

Im having a major problem with the business card camera after the update. Taking a normal picture and inserting into a note works fine, but as soon as I switch to the business card camera all the pictures taken become black blocks. Business card storage is one of my main uses of Evernote, this makes the service useless to me. Anyone else have this issue?

I'm having a similar problem with the Page camera. The recent update now gives and image which appears to be highly over-exposed and out of focus. The results are unusable. I've checked this on my S3 running CM12 (lollipop 5.02), the S3 running OMNI lollipop 5.1, and S2 running Samsung's unmodified version of android 4.4.2 - all show the same behaviour.

Evernote on my Galxy Note 10.1 (1st gen) running CM12 causes a reboot but this is likely due to the rom rather than the app.

The current version of Evernote for Windows Mobile is working as it should giving clear images.

Sorry for the inconvenience folks. We've heard that certain devices are having this issue and are investigating what could be causing this. We will get out a fix as soon as we can. 

Hi

Hi.

Adding text to clipped notes seems to be working for me again. Not sure why it didn't the other day.

As for Tags... I'm using the latest Andriod version. I have no problem getting ti the Tags menu, or pulling up all the notes relates with a specific Tag. But I still can't find a way to edit or delete them in the Android app. Checked the overflow menu and it shows no such options.

Theresa, I must be missing something. How does one delete Tags as you mentioned?

@Wordsgood you can go to the Tags screen and choose the tag you want to delete. In the overflow menu you'll see options to rename and delete tags.

@Wordsgood could you let me know what the menu items you see when you tap on a tag within the tag list?

Hi

Hi.

I'm so sorry to hear that @DEever. Could you let me know which version of Android you're running and on what device? 

Hi Theresa,

I have run into an issue that I hope is just a temporary bug you'll soon have fixed.

I'm finding that when I clip a webpage, it won't let me edit the body of Note by adding text. I can edit the title and add Tags, but not add text to the Note body. Which is, for me, a crucial part of my workflow.

@wordsgood you should be able to add text at the top and bottom of the web clipped note. You should see a grey box at the top of the note that says "Inset text..". Tapping on that will let you add content to your web clip. If you don't see that could you let me know which version of Android you're running and on what device please?

• Level 5*

Use case: joined notebooks can have tags that are identical to those used in own notebooks. For example, I use the "_Todo" in both my personal account and my work account. When I share notebooks between these accounts, I wind up with two "_Todo" entries in the tag list.

First problem: tags from joined notebooks are not labelled with the account that they come from, so you can't distinguish where a duplicate tag is from. The Windows client appends the source account name in parentheses for joined tags. That's useful.

Second problem: the seemingly identical tags are treated as separate tags in searching if you use the tag tree to do the filtering: if if click on one of the "_Todo" tags, it filters against notes in the local account; if I click on the other one, it filters against notes in the joined notebooks. On the other hand, if you type in a search "tag:_Todo", you only get notes from the local account. 

To my mind: a tag is a simple label, no matter where it comes from: tag "_Todo" is the same wherever it comes from; it's not possible to refer to a tag's account in the search language. So they should be treated as such; if I want to search the notebooks available to me on tag "_Todo", then Evernote should return notes tagged with "_Todo" whatever notebook they come from (modulo any notebook/stack terms). This is Note what the Windows client does (though that client has some other quirks with respect to handling shared tags).

Hi Theresa,

I have run into an issue that I hope is just a temporary bug you'll soon have fixed.

I'm finding that when I clip a webpage, it won't let me edit the body of Note by adding text. I can edit the title and add Tags, but not add text to the Note body. Which is, for me, a crucial part of my workflow.

Archived