IOS Evernote suddenly WAY TO SLOW -- typing delays

I've noticed recently that evernote on IOS is suddenly very slow...  major lags in typing etc.  It sounds like what people are reporting on evernote for macos, but this is on IOS.

Please fix this..  evernote has been my go-to app on all platforms for years now, and I suddenly can't confidently use it to take notes during a meeting.

Please help!

I've noticed recently that evernote on IOS is suddenly very slow... major lags in typing etc. It sounds like what people are reporting on evernote for macos, but this is on IOS.

Please fix this.. evernote has been my go-to app on all platforms for years now, and I suddenly can't confidently use it to take notes during a meeting.

Please help!

Evernote does not scale well. At all. In the past, I was an ardent user of Evernote. Used it every single day. But then my main account became unusable on iOS and the Windows desktop about two years ago. I did all the things EN recommended...new hard drive, upgrade OS, rebuild database, etc, etc, etc. I had to create a second account in order to use EN on my phone, iPad and PC. The same computers and iPhone & iPad that couldn't use the main account worked just fine with my new account. Due to other EN bugs, I finally migrated away from Evernote to Onenote. Don't like it as well, but at least it works well on my PC and iPad. EN has been aware of the scalability issue for at least a few years b/c I kept reporting it and working with the devs. But since they don't share their roadmap, there is no way to know if they are addressing this issue. Good luck.

Created a forum account to see if others were experiencing the same issue. Some things I've noticed with this problem:

• Temporarily fixes it if you switch between notes, you don't actually have to reboot EN for it to "reset" and not become laggy.
  • Tying in bullets and adding indents become super slow after only a few minutes of typing.
  • It definitely seems to be related to syncing or the undo cache.

The thing that bothers me the most is that Evernote used to be such a perfect program, and these updates over the past year seem determined to make it an overinflated piece of junk. Come on, Evernote team, just fix this annoying typing problem and you won't lose paying customers. This is a text app. You can't not have a functional typing system and be considered a player. 

• Level 5

Hi Wonka,

I am one of the Technical Support reps at Evernote and I wanted to touch base with you and let you know that I've opened a support ticket on your behalf.

I will be following up with you via email to try and gather more information about your case.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Level 5*

Hi all - just a reminder;  if you find any reasons for the slow-down - app clashes / memory or storage problems / database size etc,  or any temporary workarounds/ fixes like emptying caches or reinstalling,  please share 'em here.  It sounds like a lot of folks might have similar problems...

I've noticed recently that evernote on IOS is suddenly very slow... major lags in typing etc. It sounds like what people are reporting on evernote for macos, but this is on IOS.

Please fix this.. evernote has been my go-to app on all platforms for years now, and I suddenly can't confidently use it to take notes during a meeting.

Please help!

Evernote does not scale well. At all. In the past, I was an ardent user of Evernote. Used it every single day. But then my main account became unusable on iOS and the Windows desktop about two years ago. I did all the things EN recommended...new hard drive, upgrade OS, rebuild database, etc, etc, etc. I had to create a second account in order to use EN on my phone, iPad and PC. The same computers and iPhone & iPad that couldn't use the main account worked just fine with my new account. Due to other EN bugs, I finally migrated away from Evernote to Onenote. Don't like it as well, but at least it works well on my PC and iPad. EN has been aware of the scalability issue for at least a few years b/c I kept reporting it and working with the devs. But since they don't share their roadmap, there is no way to know if they are addressing this issue. Good luck.

I also followed all of the "Not Responding" comments, major lags, reinstall, etc. Then I came across someone who changed out the Hard Drive for a Solid State Drive. WOW, talk about night and day.

(1) Sync your Evernote account.

(2) I installed a Kingston Digital 480GB from Amazon at a cost of $220.

(3) Took about 10 minutes to install the SSD, and about 25 minutes for the Kingston to copy "all" of the files from the HD.

(4) Turned off computer and unplugged the old HD

(5) Restarted computer and go to BIOS to set the Kingston as the new boot drive.

(6) Talk about lightning fast.

The only problem I had with Evernote was that it would not sync with the cloud, but all of the other features worked very fast. I finally remove the database on the SSD restart Evernote and then it went to the cloud and downloaded the cloud database, it then worked like a charm.

I know this is a radical way to solve the Evernote slowness problem, but when you see how fast all of your programs are loading, it is just like when you first got your new Windows computer, and by the way, I am doing all of this on Windows XP !!

Regards,

David in Wichita

Go Shocks!!

• Level 5*

I know this is a radical way to solve the Evernote slowness problem, but when you see how fast all of your programs are loading, it is just like when you first got your new Windows computer, and by the way, I am doing all of this on Windows XP !!

Regards,

David in Wichita

Go Shocks!!

I had the same experience.  I wasn't having sync issues but slowness issues when I made the switch back in 2013.  Upgraded to SSD and lightening quick in all respects ever since.  The same machine is still performing as if brand new and it was 4 years old when I swapped the disk.  I won't get another laptop without SSD.  

This is an IOS topic, so sorry for the off topic..

And, GShocks!!

• 2 weeks later...

RobJ at this point I'm having the most problems with Yosemite. The only way I can use it is to close the app and reopen it and push on. I'm to the point of moving on from Evernote. This is getting out of hand.

• 4 months later...

I too am experiencing the same slowness with typing on my Samsung phone and Tablet, especially with what seems to be long notes.  Per another users comments I tried the following and it fixed the issues with these particular notes and slow typing.  It seems to have something to do with the amount of formatting in the background or perhaps multiple formats in the background, e.g. copying and pasting from various resources into the same note.

I copied the note, cut it out and pasted it into MS Word, clicked the unformat button to remove background formatting, cut/copy it again and pasted it back into my Evernote entry and sluggish typing was not longer a problem.

Maybe it will work for you also.

I too am experiencing the same slowness with typing on my Samsung phone and Tablet, especially with what seems to be long notes.  Per another users comments I tried the following and it fixed the issues with these particular notes and slow typing.  It seems to have something to do with the amount of formatting in the background or perhaps multiple formats in the background, e.g. copying and pasting from various resources into the same note.

I copied the note, cut it out and pasted it into MS Word, clicked the unformat button to remove background formatting, cut/copy it again and pasted it back into my Evernote entry and sluggish typing was not longer a problem.

Maybe it will work for you also.

I tried a version of this and the slowness seems to be gone now, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be a permanent solution, but it helped me out of a jam.

I've noticed that when EN syncs with my iPad, iPhone and iMac, it doesn't always get it right.  When there are conflicts, EN will paste a copy of the conflict along with a time stamp at the bottom of my note.  Switch back and forth enough times and I end up with a massive note.  It's so large that I can't even highlight and delete portions of the note without EN crashing, let alone typing.  

I was able to copy the up-to-date portion of my note and paste it onto a new note.  Then I deleted the old note and problem solved.  

Now I'm left wondering how many other over-inflated notes I have and how that is affecting EN's performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same speed issues. I can't tell if its EN or if its my IPAD Mini using IOS 8.3.  Since I primarily use the device for EN, I havent noticed speed issues in other applications (though I've started trying to pay more attention).  

Depending on how much typing is required, I'm now typing certain notes using the built-in IOS Notes app and then pasting in EN.  The allows for faster typing with fewer errors (seems like the delay is making it difficult for the word correct feature to do its thing) as well as use of larger Fonts for legibility(sp).  However, this adds two steps to my process.  First I have to copy and paste. Then I have to remove formatting from the text in order to format for my EN note (I have created a meeting template that I use for consistency).

This is not ideal, but I like having everything in EN.   I hate to say it, but I may have to see if IOS 9's new NOTES app provides a reasonable alternative.  Not my preference as I'm a bit of an EN geek...but after the PenUltimate debacle in December and now the hiring of a new CEO...I'm nervous.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a user of EN for over 4 years. I started having this issues about a month ago. My EN is very close to being useless and there is a tremendous lag and delay in doing anything from opening a new note, old note, typing etc.. This may be related to an upgrade to Yosemite, but I'm on a pretty well-performing mac. I have completely uninstalled it (+ cleared the database) and reinstalled it to no avail. There are many people who have seemed to complain about this. My EN db size was about 700 MB. Did I hit some sort of threshold, where performance degrades due to EN scalability issues? Is there any new insight into the problem? Any help here would be great, else I will switch products to something. 

Same problem here. I just upgraded to the Plus version and the typing lag is a deal breaker. Has anyone ever tried to get a refund from Evernote? I'm thinking the free version is all I need. My hopes of making this my primary work platform have been 100% dashed. I'm glad I was the guinea pig in my department. 

Here is my question.

I've only been using the dedicated software program on my Mac. Does anyone know if the web application has the same typing lag? I'm guessing this has already been covered above, but it's hard for me to tell from reading all the posts. Sorry if this sounds completely stupid, and thanks for any help. 

• 5 months later...
On 14 December 2015 at 7:03 AM, ENuser123 said:

I have a user of EN for over 4 years. I started having this issues about a month ago. My EN is very close to being useless and there is a tremendous lag and delay in doing anything from opening a new note, old note, typing etc.. This may be related to an upgrade to Yosemite, but I'm on a pretty well-performing mac. I have completely uninstalled it (+ cleared the database) and reinstalled it to no avail. There are many people who have seemed to complain about this. My EN db size was about 700 MB. Did I hit some sort of threshold, where performance degrades due to EN scalability issues? Is there any new insight into the problem? Any help here would be great, else I will switch products to something. 

En db size of 700 MB, and you used it for 4+ years? And still En lags? WoW. Evernote's days are limited, I must admit! It's depressingly sad! :( 

• 3 weeks later...

re: evernote app, latest, Apple Store version,

Evernote LAGS horribly and for the first time, the only time in years - four or five or six years - that I have been using Evernote, I am thinking about bailing on the program. This has been going on for months. Macbook Pro Retina, (latest model), 16 gigs RAM, 100 gigs free space on HD, latest OS.

Using Evernote Web portal is not a solution to the fact that Evernote as an app LAGS WAY WAY WAY behind my typing.

I have been paitiently waiting for the last couple of months for this to be fixed. Evernote team, you should consider it an emergency if a true believer such as I am is losing faith in your platform. 

I have 20,000 notes in 110 notebooks with 200 tags.

I suggest you: institute an urgent program to fix this, and meanwhile post a handy guide to the workaround. Admit the problem. 

[Evernote on my iPhone 6 with 128 gigs of memory, all notes stored on the phone, works fine. Whatever lagginess is there does not bother me.]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, seattleman said:

Stopped using this platform and switched to one-note which has been amazing! sorry Evernote,,,,

Yet you're still reading this forum.. not sure if that's sadism or masochism...  anyway for those who still want to use the app supported here,  do try uninstalling and reinstalling,  and if the problem remains please send in a bug report.  Evernote can get a handle on the problem with actual details of the devices and processes involved,  without being the target of a 'viral' video.

On 29 July 2016 at 0:47 AM, gazumped said:

Yet you're still reading this forum.. not sure if that's sadism or masochism...  anyway for those who still want to use the app supported here,  do try uninstalling and reinstalling,  and if the problem remains please send in a bug report.  Evernote can get a handle on the problem with actual details of the devices and processes involved,  without being the target of a 'viral' video.

Wow! How about minding your own business instead of roaming all over the internet going about judging people and their character by the product they prefer to use personally? And being the touted 'guru' that you supposedly are, I didn't expect you to not know that Evernote forums like all other forums, sends email notifications to everyone who is involved in a discussion irrespective of wheather they use a product or not. And as a user or even a former user, pleople have the right to express their displeasure over a product or service and just because they do that, doesn't make them '*****', as far as people with common sense are concerned. And your beaten advice of installing / reinstalling doesn't do ***** other than mindlessly repeating it the 100th time in the same post/thread. I wish people like you utilized their time in something worthwhile rather than mindlessly insulting people for their choices and preferences. But again, I can't do anything about it. 

• Level 5*

I'm sorry if I offended you by my existence,  but that was mild joshing of someone,  whom I don't in any way criticise or judge for having found an app that suits him or her better than Evernote,  still hanging around a forum which must be of fading interest...  and having posted here for some years,  yes I do know how the forum works, thanks.

As to uninstall / reinstall,  there are lots of folks reading this sort of thing for the first time - new to Evernote,  and from some of the comments,  new to computers and/ or the internet.  For them,  basic is good.  Most folks posting don't give their level of expertise away,  so I assume the least knowledge and leave them to ignore stuff they do know.

One thing many people don't seem to appreciate is that winging in a forum is no help whatsoever in getting a pet peeve fixed.  "Your service won't sync" doesn't help with the OS / Evernote version and some details of one note/ all notes being the issue.  Bug reports and support requests (where they're possible) do help - techs can ask for more details and check activity logs and other records that aren't appropriate to share in a public forum.  So if things go wrong use the proper channels - it'll get things fixed quicker.

That was another reason for my post - to get the right process out there,  rather than have another six people pile in with more insults and negative comments which may help their feelings,  but actively prevent any actual users getting the right feedback if they genuinely want help.

You probably already know this,  but if you are genuinely offended by my presence,  you're more than welcome to hit the 'Report' button on my posts and call in the Admins to review my presence here.  Or if you just don't want to see my 'beaten advice' (?) any more,  there's an 'ignore' option on my profile you're more than welcome to use...

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Pedrohatestowait said:

So when is this going to be fixed? I am a premium customer and about to cancel my service over this. This is a major fail and the lack of response is not serving you well. 

Well, this is a two year old thread.  Typing got fixed in between and then slowed down again with v8.  You can post here.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, tlc-mindful-living said:

Problem I'm having is that I'm typing or trying to switch notes and it seems to be syncing constantly. I set it to only sync every hour but it's doing so every few minutes.

Methods to correct?

This is an IOS thread, don't think you can set sync frequency on IOS.  

If a Windows desktop:

1. You can go to Tools - Options -Synchronization and uncheck Enable instant sync if it is set.  
  2. Also go to Tools - Options - Note and change the value of Automatically save edited notes every ... seconds.  I think the default is 30 seconds or so.  Not sure if works precisely, but a larger value should cut down on saving an edited note locally.

Archived