Persistent Sync error after reaching notebook limit.

Hello,

Today I found out about the 250 notebook limit.

I immediately thought... OK.. it's time to upgrade to premium, but come to find out this notebook limit also applies to premium accounts. That is ridiculous.

So, despite this big push to use tags (which in my humble opinion is fine feature, but NOT a substitute for notebooks) I thought... the quickest 'fix' was to tidy up and delete some old notebooks.

I deleted 10 notebooks.

My sync icon now shows a red exclaimation error and upon clicking sync I receive a dialog box that states:

"Sync failed because you have more than 250 synchronized notebooks. "

" You have 240 synchronized notebooks. Please delete some of the synchronized notebooks and try again"

Here is a screen shot: http://screencast.com/t/kaclu9j6i

Now.. what do you recommend?

Thanks

dd

• Level 5*

Hi.  What OS are you using?  iOS / Android / WIndows / Mac ? 

Initially I'd suggest clearing out the Trash Notebook,  which presumably contains a lot of notes,  and logging on to your account via https://www.evernote.com/Login.action?targetUrl=%2FHome.action to manually delete some of the notebooks you already took out on your other device,  and clear the Trash there.

Solved - thank goodness. Solution below:

To answer your questions:

Windows.

Previously, I did empty the trash after deleting the 10 notebooks.

I also experienced a failure and crash report dialogue.

Some of my desktop work was lost during this period because I closed the program and reopened in hopes of the sync eventually working.

---

Thanks for the suggestion @gazumped.

SOLUTION:

I took your advice and did the additional manual deletion by going online, looking for the folders and RE-deleteing them.

So, the issue with the sync occured ( pretty much immediately ) after I was notified of reaching the 250 folder limit and for some reason from that point on, the sync restriction was not lifted despite the fact that my desktop version reflected that 10 notebooks were deleted to a count of 240 notebooks

---

In the meantime... and after intense googling of this topic outside of this forum; it is apparent this is a verifiable frustration and inconvenience for many EN users.

FAIR WARNING to all who are approaching the 250 notebook limit... but.. wait
Where can I find a count of my notebooks? Is there a statistics panel? How do I know I am getting close to the limit?

It would be nice if there was a dialogue box warning at the 245 -249 notebook mark.

It would be nice if you could hover the side panel notebook icon and it showed the number of notebooks active and remaining... such as:  235 active /15 remain.

I would have gladly upgraded to Premium if the notebook count would advance to 'unlimited'.

Meanwhile, I am going to take the advice I found from a blogger who recommends how to detour this experienece. They recommend exporting and deleting sets of notes ( as .enex files ) to my hard drive, and then reinstating them if needed... not a perfect solution as I lose my search ability for those notes, but better than going through all the troubleshooting and losing productivity.

There are so many great things about Evernote... but by contrast, the good is offset by a fair amount of really inconvenient and stupid low functionality or feature-lacking flaws.

My personal biased, and opinionated analysis is that Evernote is:

65% GREAT, 10% stupid, and 25% arrogantly resistant to being a fantastic product.

• Level 5*

No luck for me. I actually have two. It shows as two on the Web interface. It shows as two on my Windows computer. And, there is nothing in the trash. But, it also warns me that I have more than 250, while in the very same window telling me I have just two notebooks. 

I'll get in touch with support, but I wonder if this is a widespread issue?

250 notebooks is a lot, to put it euphemistically. You should seriously consider re-evaluation your system of organisation & see if you should not (drastically) reduce the number of notebooks and/or use tags, of which you can have 100,000 !!

We could all be more organized.... but tags are not the primordial goo that will make that happen - and trying to squeeze folks into the TAG only mentality when they are useful but counter intuitive to the time tested concept of nesting  - be it called folders or notebooks or whatever - TAG dominance is not a 'user-friendly' approach for everyone.

Honestly.... there are many other discussions about this notebook thing - and I can see they have gone on for years.

Limited notebooks IS VERY MUCH an issue.

why? because:

TAGS and NOTEBOOKS are different both in the visual organization and functionality within Evernote.

I don't care how many folders, notes, bookmarks, favorites, etc. etc. someone needs to use - so I don't presume to lecture them on how they need to 'revise' their organization system.

Each user has their own unique business and each business may work more efficiently using  one or mixed methods within their own business setting.

I feel if Evernote built the program around 'notebooks' but now continually evangelizes tags, and lectures against using 'too many' notebooks, and places non-negotiable limits on the notebooks... well really, this is a clear indicator that their commitment to product flexibility was not clearly thought out and they have a resistance to evolving to meet consumer needs.

Basic marketing strategy:  unlimited notebooks is a feature that could be designated as 'premium' and ( I for one ) would opt-in to the upgrade.

We could all be more organized.... but tags are not the primordial goo that will make that happen - and trying to squeeze folks into the TAG only mentality when they are useful but counter intuitive to the time tested concept of nesting  - be it called folders or notebooks or whatever - TAG dominance is not a 'user-friendly' approach for everyone.

Honestly.... there are many other discussions about this notebook thing - and I can see they have gone on for years.

Limited notebooks IS VERY MUCH an issue.

why? because:

TAGS and NOTEBOOKS are different both in the visual organization and functionality within Evernote.

I don't care how many folders, notes, bookmarks, favorites, etc. etc. someone needs to use - so I don't presume to lecture them on how they need to 'revise' their organization system.

Each user has their own unique business and each business may work more efficiently using  one or mixed methods within their own business setting.

I feel if Evernote built the program around 'notebooks' but now continually evangelizes tags, and lectures against using 'too many' notebooks, and places non-negotiable limits on the notebooks... well really, this is a clear indicator that their commitment to product flexibility was not clearly thought out and they have a resistance to evolving to meet consumer needs.

Basic marketing strategy:  unlimited notebooks is a feature that could be designated as 'premium' and ( I for one ) would opt-in to the upgrade.

I do not try to lecture you on your organisation, just trying stress that Evernote is what it is, and therefore that you may as well work with it as is. If this issue is really very important to you, raise a ticket & suggest a feature revision for a higher number of notebooks.

In the meantime, you will have 2 choices;

* use EN with the features it currently has, and possibly use additional apps for areas where EN falls short, or

* drop EN altogether for another note-taking app.

There are a number of other, more savvy users of EN who also hold the view that if 250 notebooks is not enough you have an organisational issue. You may not like to hear this, but that is my opinion in any case.

To my mind notebooks are of the same archaic conceptualisation as folders are, except for those notebooks you use to share notes with others, to receive incoming stuff, to keep synched & local/confidential notes separated, .... But in total you need very few of those.

Having said all that, every one should use EN the way that suits them best, but whether you want it or not, that use will have to be within the constraints of what EN has to offer at that particular moment in time. Moaning about it will not solve the issue, EN support personnel will not take any notice unless you raise that ticket.

• Level 5*

We can have the tag / notebook / organization discussion all over again, but let's stipulate a few facts, given that most of the people who post on the forums are not Evernote staff, but Evernote users:

* YES: tags and notebooks ARE different organizational constructs. If they were the same, there would need to be only one of them. That they do have different properties / behaviors means that a user needs to be conscious about how they work in order to use them effectively. But that would be the case even if there were unlimited notebooks available.

* NO: Evernote doesn't constantly evangelize either tags or notebooks. Some users in these forums do, but Evernote seems to stay pretty neutral: use tags where appropriate, and use notebooks where appropriate.

* NO: Evernote doesn't lecture against using too many notebooks. There is a fixed limit that Evernote will hold you to, but you should be free to use as many of the 250 as you like (modulo bugs -- there seems to be one out there in the Windows world at the moment vis-a-vis notebook count, which GrumpyMonkey referenced above)

* YES : TAG dominance is not a 'user-friendly' approach for everyone. So be it -- that's an Evernote design choice. Flip side is that no-one is forced to use tags as an organizing principle for your notes; there are people who use one notebook and no tags and it works fine for them. You can use a titling scheme, or embedded keywords, or just use text search. 

* NO : Evernote doesn't presume to lecture anyone on how they should organize their notes. They offer some organizational facilities, and note how to to use them appropriately, and that's pretty much it. Their architectural choices are conscious, and they come with implication that it may not work for everyone. I think that they accept that.

Look, I thanked @gazumped and marked the item SOLVED, and stated the solution for others so they could try to get around the persistent sync error.

And now OK, I'm sorry I replied to DutchPete - I should have just ignored his remark about suggesting I re-evaluate my organizing system to fit tags.

I was probably 'over' reacting to the wasted hours I spent reading the scads of posts and comments and google items that I read about this topic ( dating back years) while trying to troubleshoot the sync error. That journey enlightened me to the repetitive 'usual' responses from the  'pro-tag' - 'get-over your notebook fetish' - 'our way or the highway' approach to those running into this 250 limit.

My sync issue is solved.

I don't like the 250 limitation.

.....and I am outta this argument!

Look, I thanked @gazumped and marked the item SOLVED, and stated the solution for others so they could try to get around the persistent sync error.

And now OK, I'm sorry I replied to DutchPete - I should have just ignored his remark about suggesting I re-evaluate my organizing system to fit tags.

I was probably 'over' reacting to the wasted hours I spent reading the scads of posts and comments and google items that I read about this topic ( dating back years) while trying to troubleshoot the sync error. That journey enlightened me to the repetitive 'usual' responses from the  'pro-tag' - 'get-over your notebook fetish' - 'our way or the highway' approach to those running into this 250 limit.

My sync issue is solved.

I don't like the 250 limitation.

.....and I am outta this argument!

After you mark "solved" you did continue venting your frustration with the 250 notebook limit, which is why I responded. Sorry if I upset you, did not mean too. I do believe that one must be able to carry a discussion to a decent end from both sides. Anyway, I am happy you got your immediate, if not long term, issue solved.

• 2 months later...

My personal biased, and opinionated analysis is that Evernote is:

65% GREAT, 10% stupid, and 25% arrogantly resistant to being a fantastic product.

I could not agree more!!!  I too just ran into this, can't believe it's still not fixed.

I've been ready to jump ship from Evernote for a while, mostly due to their being "arrogantly resistant", unfortunately they're still the best thing going.  Very frustrating when you pay for a product.  I'm still on the lookout for something better, and will take my business elsewhere if/when I ever find it.

• 1 month later...

In Regards to NOTEBOOK LIMIT ...

I have been an Evernote Junkie since 2010... Premium User. I never knew of this Limit on Notebooks ...
Found it out TODAY.  
I USE  EN more than I do my email.  Since I work more Visually and need Simplification, I like the Notebook format more than Tags... I realize they help most, but persons leaning toward ADD- the Straightforward and Simple are KEY.                  
I would strongly RECOMMEND EN to expand this Limit for the Premium users at the very least.  I doubt I personally matter at all, but if enough people need it, will they not need  to consider???

OK... High hopes. Why not try once. 

Could you explain why using tags would be complicated for sufferers of ADD?

I think it's more an issue of personal choice. Some people prefer notebooks as opposed to tagging. I'm sure you could consolidate at least 10 of your notebooks by tagging the notes therein accordingly and moving them to one notebook. As an immediate solution, perhaps you could start with 10 of your least used notebooks with minimal notes. That would allow you to at least create a few more notebooks... Because sometimes one just needs a new notebook for specific use cases, no matter how much of a tagging guru you are. Take some baby steps to free up a few notebooks with some basic tagging... And I'm positive you'll find your leaning toward ADD will not stand in the way.

In Regards to NOTEBOOK LIMIT ...

I have been an Evernote Junkie since 2010... Premium User. I never knew of this Limit on Notebooks ...

Found it out TODAY.  

I USE  EN more than I do my email.  Since I work more Visually and need Simplification, I like the Notebook format more than Tags... I realize they help most, but persons leaning toward ADD- the Straightforward and Simple are KEY.                  

I would strongly RECOMMEND EN to expand this Limit for the Premium users at the very least.  I doubt I personally matter at all, but if enough people need it, will they not need  to consider???

OK... High hopes. Why not try once. 

I agree, expanding the  notebook limit for the Premium users is really an opportunity for Evernote to convert free users (instead of taking away some existing feature with the opposite effect ;-)  )  I don't understand why they didn't came up with that idea themselves...

Not increasing the notebook limit was purposeful as opposed to being an oversight. Whatever brainwave idea you could come up with has been thought of by Evernote and/ or suggested many times over in the forums. In that sense, any lack you see in Evetnote was either a deliberate decision or not the primary focus for development.

Not increasing the notebook limit was purposeful as opposed to being an oversight. Whatever brainwave idea you could come up with has been thought of by Evernote and/ or suggested many times over in the forums. In that sense, any lack you see in Evetnote was either a deliberate decision or not the primary focus for development.

Personally I don't need these notebooks, but it is a quick win if people would pay for this (considering all the complaints about the notebook limit).

Personally I don't need these notebooks, but it is a quick win if people would pay for this (considering all the complaints about the notebook limit).

You are right - it is much requested. However, once most people are introduced to tags, they are able to overcome the notebook limit and limitations. Using tags in conjunction with notebooks gives one a new dimension within to move - even if one is not interested in structuring their entire account through a nested tag-based system. My main curiosity was how tags would be an issue for those who have ADD. 

Little explanation why Tags can be harder then Notebook(folders) in for people with ADD/Asperger's syndrome

My History:
Before I started with Evernote I sort my live in folders, one for each subject or event. I fitted the Windows perfect.
Many folders... And subfolders.
And many documents need to be in more than one folders. So I copied it.
It was the way for me to have everything under control, the problem with all this version of the same document was huge.

Before Evernote I have another app for my personally life, Catch. And Evernote for the rest. And tags come in to my life. I see to good side of using this method. Easier than having duplicates and triplicates (and octocates)
But it took time.

My ADD/ADHD and Asperger's syndrome makes my brain very tired. All input and noise and light stress me. When I was a kid and goes to school I read the math homework before bed and write down the result in the morning. My brain never sleeps.

Changing method is tough for everybody. But with a brain who running Marathon everyday it's little harder.
I needed to see the positive side by myself, what other say doesn't help me see it in my life.

And I just can speak for me.

Ok Guys... This was NOT a Post about ADD...

Your need to know the 'why' it relates to Tags is Astounding.

. Oh yeah, Grab a Beer, it's a little long...

Thank you Morticia for taking the reigns on that one... I get SOOOO Tired too.

By my saying, "Since I work more Visually and need Simplification," and, "Straight forward and Simple being Key", in my Original Post, I thought that may give enough information that SIMPLE IS BEST. Tags to me personally, are the after Fluff. They are a Possible way of honing in on something. I have not found them very helpful to find a note. Not that I do not make them... I have MANY.

I thought I Posted about something A LOT OF EN MEMBERS NEED, something NOT AT ALL LUDICROUS to ask for...

This Limit could even be expanded by 100 and it would be helpful. Actually it should be Lifted completely, especially for Premium Members (yes, I said it). I do not ever remember reading Anywhere there was a LIMIT on Notebooks, has anyone else? Only Recently (within the past year) do I think it was listed.

Maybe if I had known, I would have planned my strategy a bit better. Did anyone think about it that way?

3 tier system now: basic, plus, premium...what about all the people that have been Paying Premium for years, happy to do so, by the way...

YO, HELLLLOOOOOO !!!!!!

I consider you all my Colleagues, my Teachers, Innovator's ...

I read Forums to Learn...

Maybe some of us just post to a Forum to ASK for what they NEED, for what will help make their life run a little smoother?

AND, KNOW there has to be OTHERS this would help as well. Otherwise, why bother?

EVERNOTE is not Just Something I use... It is A PART of my Life. In my beginning stages of using Premium, it EN SAVED ME by allowing me to do things I couldn't do on my crappy Laptop I had at that time. I was THRILLED. It even helped me get into a Notable Museum here.

So now I Categorize my different Artwork, and by SEEING My Images immediately, I know what needs to be done, what is where, what was sold, etc. BAM! It is Right there. Do Tags do that? NO.

I won't even bring up the Windows App and it's peculiar Way of sorting notebooks.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I have eliminated some 'unnecessary' notebooks already, and am trying to figure out more.

I do have a Free Account as Well, but as you all know, it is not as easy to jump into, (at least I find) as the regular Premium App, when you have Premium at the same time. Security thing. Also I do not like the Web App as much. I will not be easy for me to use at the same time.

Thanks for reading all this...

I WILL NOT ARGUE or DEBATE.

So, if you guys want that...

You know where I'll be.

Thanks Again.

• 1 year later...

if unlimited notebooks is not possible at the very least the tags should be searchable in the same way as notebooks. my current version only supports searching the first word of a tag which makes it fundamentally different way to organize.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, AJspine said:

if unlimited notebooks is not possible at the very least the tags should be searchable in the same way as notebooks. my current version only supports searching the first word of a tag which makes it fundamentally different way to organize.

Hi.  This thread is now a couple of years old,  and the 250 notebook limit is still current - it hasn't changed,  neither has Evernote's search syntax which will only look for the starting characters in a word,  not the middle or end characters.  This applies both to notebook names and tags however so I don't see how tags are "fundamentally different" in that regard.

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

...  neither has Evernote's search syntax which will only look for the starting characters in a word,  not the middle or end characters.  This applies both to notebook names and tags however so I don't see how tags are "fundamentally different" in that regard.

When adding tags to a query (ALT+shift+T) , tags can be specified by a substring from the middle or the end.

This works also when searching a notebook or tag in the lists  (ALT-F1 and ALT-F2)

• Level 5*
On 5/27/2017 at 2:01 PM, AJspine said:

You'll need to be more specific about which Evernote client (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, web) you're using, and explain what you mean by "first word of a tag", before we can help you with this problem 

Archived