Font looks blurry/out-of-focus after update

• Level 5*

Hi - how about creating a test note by clipping some of this web page and sending us a screenshot?  Also:  what's your screen resolution?  (Right-click desktop and choose 'screen resolution'...)

I'm unsure how I can do that without publicly releasing my personal notes.  I don't think that I'll be doing that

This is commonly done here. Find a note with material that is not confidential. I have tons of those. If needed you can obscure parts that are private. 

I have Windows and also had an update. I think I am seeing the same thing.

It is a very slight effect which I think you can see in the screen capture. 

My biggest screen is set to 1920 x 1020 (I have a Surface Pro 3 which docks to a larger screen). 

• Level 5

Upon second inspection, I notice it's not just the text but also all of the graphical elements across the Evernote program as well; the icons and the Evernote ad in the corner are slightly blurry as well. 

This is definitely hard on the eyes.  Is there any remedy for this?

I have to wear an eye patch, so clarity of the display is important to me.

This is not a remedy - but a general suggestion to other users: I've learned the hard way to avoid accepting Evernote upgrades too quickly. Instead of being Evernote's Quality Control department, my current procedure is to push the install reminder out one month. Then I will watch the forum for user comments and suggestions.

If the problems don't get addressed, I continue to sit on the side-lines for an additional month or more.

Windows 8.1 - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

33438-vOIbFD4rEN6e0blj-s-.png

Once enable, this feature will prevent large-scale font used in old softwares to become distorted when used with Windows 8.1 (High DPI settings).

• To enable this feature:
  • Right-click on the program's icon > properties.
  • Go to the Compatibility tab.
  • Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and click on Apply.

bHFYSm8d-appl-s-.png

Thanks Eric99 for your help on this!  Your suggestion worked and Evernote reads clear as ever.  One last step I had to do, not mentioned, was to reboot my computer to apply the changes. 

Also, an additional note... a user may not have the Evernote icon on the desktop to right-click (as described in the instructions).   If this is the case for you, you can find the Evernote icon in Programs folder.  The breadcrumb for where I found it on my computer is below...

c:drive > Program Files (x86) > Evernote > Evernote > (program icon found here)

Evernote needs to know this update was completely unsat, amatuer-hour.  Was it not tested prior to release?  Although the fix is realitively easy, it should've been worked out before the update was released - at least acknowledge the problem is possible and provide documentation on how to troubleshoot the issue. 

eric99's solution also worked for me! Yeah! I had a hard time finding where to be able to get the right click properties. I had to right click and then click "run as administrator" and then right click the icon in the window that came up to get to properties. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this helpful fix as my current vision is not 100% and the fuzzy fonts were difficult to read. I don't understand why Evernote could not have addressed this.

• 3 weeks later...

(On a side note: I just accidentally reported another Member because 'Report' looked like 'Reply' and is the FIRST action/button on a post.. I imagine Evernote gets quite a few accidental reportings)

I'm running Windows 10 b10162 and experienced the same Blurry problem. I had to enable 'Disable DPI scaling' in order to fix the problem. 

You do not have to restart your system. HOWEVER, like many useful products Evernote has a child process that sticks around in order to quickly 'relaunch' Evernote when it's closed. You have to Exit that process as well in order for the changes to take affect. You can find this in Task Manager or in the Task Tray.

Good luck to everyone that is having the same issues. It's unfortunate that they haven't worked on the DPI issues because Microsoft's new OneNote (Modern App) is beautiful and works correctly with DPI settings. It makes it even better with Windows 10 since Microsoft Store Apps are no longer Permanent-Fullscreen.

Operating System: 

Windows 10 10162

Monitor Settings:

Resolution: 4K 28" Widescreen 3840 x 2160 w/ 200% DPI Scaling

Evernote Version:

5.8.14.8221 (276221) Prerelease

• 3 weeks later...

The solution worked for me. After rebooting my computer, the text is very clear. However, icons are now way too small. I am using a Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus with a screen resolution of 3200 x 1800. Is anyone else experiencing this? And if so, do you have any solutions? I'm considering going back to the fuzzy text because the proportions and icon sizes seemed better. Thanks.

The solution worked for me. After rebooting my computer, the text is very clear. However, icons are now way too small. I am using a Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus with a screen resolution of 3200 x 1800. Is anyone else experiencing this? And if so, do you have any solutions? I'm considering going back to the fuzzy text because the proportions and icon sizes seemed better. Thanks.

This is because we do not fully support hi DPI. In the application, we specifically note we do not in the manifest. So MS auto-scales it up - this is where the blurriness comes from.

This is because we do not fully support hi DPI. In the application, we specifically note we do not in the manifest. So MS auto-scales it up - this is where the blurriness comes from.

Yeah, I've had to do this with a few programs in Windows 10, I'm using scaling with a 109 DPI monitor.  After changing the DPI settings, if you quit the program, it might stay running in the background.  At least that was the case for me with Windows 10.  You can Ctl-Alt-Delete > Task Manager > More Details and end task on the Evernote entries (in my case there were 3), then re-launch the program.  No need to reboot.  Thanks for posting the solution eric99, worked like a charm!  :D

• 10 months later...

I have found blurry text problems in annotating pdfs. The font is fine in the note it is attached in, just that during annotation it looks blurry. Any one else with this issue? Any fix?

(I have tried disabling display scaling DPI from properties. Did not fix with reboot)

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Archived