Request: Improve readability (small fonts!) on mobile without altering content

McGroarty

Idea

Request: Give us an option to improve readability without altering the original article.

Problem:

• Reading clipped articles is difficult on mobile when:
    • the original font size is too small
    • an ornate font is used that doesn't render well at low sizes and requires more weight for legibility
    • a low-contrast color scheme was used, which requires more weight for legibility
  • Attempted workarounds are insufficient
    • Altering the iOS font scale has no effect on the article body
    • Pinch-zooming does not reflow the article, requiring constant left-right swiping
    • Increasing font sizes of the content damages the original content, requires desktop use, and does not address needs on various device sizes and dot pitches (eg., iPad Mini vs iPad Mini retina vs iPad Air)

Some possible solutions:

• A "Reader" mode that strips size, font and color formatting. It might use the iOS font scale or an app-configured font scale
  • An option that scales only the presentation of either the text or the full article, then reflows the layout
  • A minimum font size option that forces small fonts to render at a larger size. The minim size might be either an explicit selection or derived from the iOS font scale

1 reply to this idea

Based on the number of posts on the Mac requesting the ability to adjust font size in the app, it doesn't look like EN cares about user experience, just pushing out number of features. That's all well and good to be feature rich, but it is pointless if people cannot read their notes.

I have been using paid version of EN for 8 years for Project Mgmt meeting notes. I like the enhanced text features, but when did the font become tiny ultra-thin gray? It has no weight to it and is difficult to read. Even auto-correct is white on a light gray background.

A better user experience is being able to read your notes! I hope EN will consider allowing the iOS dynamic font sizing or adding a font size control settings. I'd prefer not to have to change apps.. I'm clearly not the only one who is being impaired by the font size.

Archived