Lost a large part of a note due to errors. Am I screwed?

Hi all,

I was recently working on a rather lengthy note, when suddenly, after Evernote synced, I lost almost all of it.  The note I was working on contained a lot of examples of Javascript in it so I don't know if that would have had anything to do with what caused the error, but this is the message I got after the sync happened:

post-250781-0-87547300-1425688050_thumb.

Is there anyway I can get the rest of my note back, or am I pretty much dead in the water here?  Thanks in advance for any help!

• Level 5*

Hi.  if this was happening at the same time you were syncing this note to Evernote for the first time then I'm afraid you're very likely cooked.  Until the note content makes it to the server,  and stays there for some hours,  you aren't picked up by their one or two times a day drive-by backup.  If you were working in the browser version,  there's no local copy to look for - and if the problem was coding in your note text (which seems likely given the error message) then it probably would not have saved correctly in a desktop version either.  Something like this happened to me earlier - I was typing some detail in a dialogue box,  and just hit 'refresh' by mistake.  There was no way back from a new blank screen...  frustrating.  The only think you could do is to try working in a word processor so you have a local file you can add to your note in one hit,  rather than leaving the active note on your desktop while you work.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

I was recently working on a rather lengthy note, when suddenly, after Evernote synced, I lost almost all of it.  The note I was working on contained a lot of examples of Javascript in it so I don't know if that would have had anything to do with what caused the error, but this is the message I got after the sync happened:

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2015-03-06 16.23.18.png

Is there anyway I can get the rest of my note back, or am I pretty much dead in the water here?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Since the Evernote error says that it is a "rendering" error, there is a good chance that your content is still there, but it just can't be displayed by Evernote.  You might try exporting it to both ENEX and HTML, then open those files in a text editor to see if you can see your content.

• Level 5*

The error message does not say that it's a ""rendering error". It clearly says that it has an "invalid character", and gives the location in the note (line 14, column 3655), plus the value of the invalid character ("8"). Evernote then shows a "rendering of the page up to the first error", which just means that it's showing all that it's able to show, because "invalid character".

@Fossge: That being said, it is of course possible that there is an error in the Evernote client being used (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, etc.; you didn't say which it is), and that it's really a valid note; you should double-check that by examining it in a different client (like the web client).

If it's really an error, you may be able to repair it by exporting to Evernote format if you are on a desktop client (if Evernote will let you) and opening it up in a text editor and going to the location in the error message, or by using the ENML editor (which may be a little more direct). Remains to be seen if that's the only problem with the note, but that's the starting point for figuring things out and hopefully fixing them

Oh, and open a support request; if there is corruption, that was caused by the Evernote system: any input to the closed world of the Evernote format used internally should be screened for validity.

• Level 5*

The error message does not say that it's a ""rendering error". It clearly says that it has an "invalid character", and gives the location in the note (line 14, column 3655), plus the value of the invalid character ("8"). Evernote then shows a "rendering of the page up to the first error", which just means that it's showing all that it's able to show, because "invalid character".

If it's really an error, you may be able to repair it by exporting to Evernote format if you are on a desktop client

Well, that is your interpretation.

Since the EN error said:

This page contains the follow[ng errors

error on line 14 at column 3655:  PCDATA invalid Char value 8

Below is rendering of the page up to the fínt error.

It seems reasonable to me that possibly there is a rendering error beyond that point in the Note.  Thus, the entire Note content MIGHT still be there.

So, as I said,  and you repeated, exporting the Note to ENEX might provide the OP with his/her original content.

Please try to stay on-topic and not confuse the OP.

If it's really an error, you may be able to repair it by exporting to Evernote format if you are on a desktop client

Since the EN error said:

It seems reasonable to me that possibly there is a rendering error beyond that point in the Note.  Thus, the entire Note content MIGHT still be there.

So, as I said,  and you repeated, exporting the Note to ENEX might provide the OP with his/her original content.

Jeff is totally on topic. JMiU, please stop being contentious & bickering for the sake of bickering. It only adds unwanted NOISE.

@Gaz: You have contributed as much as anyone to "scaring the audience".

If you'll look back over the posts, I make a joke about reinstalling, and then suggested that the user submit a bug report.

It was you that started this whole debate about bugs by making the rebuttal comment "I don't think this qualifies as a 'bug'", when you didn't have the factual basis or logic to make such a claim.

You can move on by stop trying to make me look like the bad guy, and just deal with the technical issues as we agreed to earlier.

You do a darned good job of making yourself look like the bad guy. Let's see...this week alone, you've nitpicked with csihilling:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/page-2#entry345419

Jefito & GM:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41178-evernote-annoyance-creating-sub-folders/page-3

And Gaz. (And I've not even linked to the various threads - this week alone).

Maybe you should step away from the keyboard & take a lot of deep breaths, since you seem to be a huge contributor of (to use your term), noise.

And the madness continues...JMiU please stop arguing about and nitpicking EVERY SINGLE THING THAT someone you don't like says. MOVE ON.https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/?p=346772

Thanks for all the good suggestions everyone.  Unfortunately it looks like the note is toast but, disagreements aside, I really appreciate people going out of their way to lend some good advice!

• Level 5*

Thanks for all the good suggestions everyone.  Unfortunately it looks like the note is toast but, disagreements aside, I really appreciate people going out of their way to lend some good advice!

@Fossge:  Did you try an export to ENEX of the note in concern?

@JMichael: I did, and unfortunately I get the same result as the rendered version it gave me after the error.  I also opened it in ENML and Sublime Text(I know they show me the same thing, but I was desperate so I tried both anyway) and both of them had the code for the note up until the point the error showed up and then nothing.  I've still gotta file a formal ticket, but yea, pretty much sure the better part of the note has been obliterated.  Thanks for trying though!

• Level 5*

Look, I know you're not that technical, but the error message is in plain English. Read it again, and you will not see the words "rendering" and "error" in juxtaposition. As interpretations go, "rendering error" would not be the first one I'd reach for; I'd go for the one where it says "error on line 14 at column 3655: PCDATA invalid Char value 8". I.e., the note contains invalid data. That is the actual error. If Evernote can't render, export or otherwise manipulate the note, those would all be side effects of the actual error, and not errors themselves. The term "Rendering" only occurs later on in the error message, when used to describe what's being displayed after the error message: "Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error"

Since the EN error said:

What you've highlighted doesn't say that the rendering is in error; it says that it's rendered the note up to the first error, which is, as should be plan, an invalid character. Since the error is invalid data in the note; it's reasonable that Evernote wouldn't be able to render beyond the point of the error, but the error is not in the rendering; the error is in the input. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.

Exporting to Evernote format is of course one option; I also pointed out a further possibility which might be more expedient, which you didn't.

My post was entirely on topic -- I challenge you to show exactly which part of what I wrote was off-topic. I'm guessing that you won't be able to. Or better still -- go ahead and report it.

More to the point, I provided a more accurate interpretation of the error message that Fossge received. I don't know why what I said would confuse anyone, but it obviously either confused you or you're just troll-baiting for your own weird purposes. Beyond that, you don't speak for Fossge, who seems perfectly able understand English and to ask questions for himself.

• Level 5*

Fossge, I'm going to suggest one further thing: it's possible that that note is corrupt because of a file system error on your hard drive / disk storage unit. Just to be on the safe side, I'd recommend backing up your notes database, and then checking the state of your drive and file system using your favorite disk utilities, for whatever OS you are using.

• Level 5*

Look, I know you're not that technical, . . .

You have no idea of my capabilities, so quit pretending that you do.  IAC, your comments about me are off-topic.

You entire post is a distraction, and a waste of space.  Please keep your comments on-topic and about the OP subject, not about other posters who are trying to help the OP.

Look, I know you're not that technical, . . .

You have no idea of my capabilities, so quit pretending that you do.  IAC, your comments about me are off-topic.

You entire post is a distraction, and a waste of space.  Please keep your comments on-topic and about the OP subject, not about other posters who are trying to help the OP.

You really need to quit telling others what or what not to do and take your own advice.

Since the EN error said:

error on line 14 at column 3655:  PCDATA invalid Char value 8Below is rendering of the page up to the fínt error.

Jeff is totally on topic. JMiU, please stop being contentious & bickering for the sake of bickering. It only adds unwanted NOISE.

@Gaz: You have contributed as much as anyone to "scaring the audience".

If you'll look back over the posts, I make a joke about reinstalling, and then suggested that the user submit a bug report.

It was you that started this whole debate about bugs by making the rebuttal comment "I don't think this qualifies as a 'bug'", when you didn't have the factual basis or logic to make such a claim.

You can move on by stop trying to make me look like the bad guy, and just deal with the technical issues as we agreed to earlier.

You do a darned good job of making yourself look like the bad guy. Let's see...this week alone, you've nitpicked with csihilling:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/page-2#entry345419

Jefito & GM:https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/41178-evernote-annoyance-creating-sub-folders/page-3

And Gaz. (And I've not even linked to the various threads - this week alone).

Maybe you should step away from the keyboard & take a lot of deep breaths, since you seem to be a huge contributor of (to use your term), noise.

And the madness continues...JMiU please stop arguing about and nitpicking EVERY SINGLE THING THAT someone you don't like says. MOVE ON.https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80104-manual-sorting-and-the-design-objection/?p=346772

• 3 months later...

I just got the same error and, after panicking, I exported the note as HTML and then was able to open that file (with a browser) and got the whole note back (without formatting).

That was all I needed, but then I also tried copying the note to a different notebook, where it still showed the error, and then copied it back to a local folder and the error disappeared, and the whole note reappeared with all the original formatting.

I have no idea why those two methods worked, and really don't know what the flame war within this thread is about, but I hope the original poster has the same luck I did and gets the note back.

• Level 5*

I just got the same error and, after panicking, I exported the note as HTML and then was able to open that file (with a browser) and got the whole note back (without formatting).

Thanks for sharing your solution.

Archived