New Evernote for Windows 5.8.4 GA

Justin Street

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here.

5.8.4 GA Release Notes:

New
  • Evernote now supports high resolution displays
  • Add a coworker’s business notebook to your account right from the notebook list
  • Taskbar icon illuminates when a new message is received
Improved
  • Numerous improvements to Work Chat and sharing
  • Several improvements to Context
  • Fixed several sync and stability issues
  • Resolved a bug that caused the password prompt to appear unnecessarily
  • Fixed issues related to Table of Contents notes
  • Resolved issues with Reminders search syntax
  • 1 security fix -- learn more at https://evernote.com/security/updates#win

Enjoy!

I lost my high DPI support after installing this upgrade (Lenovo X1 Carbon, 2560x1440): everything looks fuzzy. I was able to fix it by checking "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the program properties dialog. So it seems this switch is interpreted the wrong way?

• Evernote Expert

Bug Report : Using the latest version of Evernote, downloaded from above Link. 

Context Feature - The Context feature is displaying Notes from Other Websites, but only the WALL STREET JOURNAL website is opening. Other sites like TechCrunch and some others are displaying Title Contexts, but clicking them, they won't open. Please check this.. 

The 5.8.4.6870 version renders blurry text even when it's running on the same display it used to run on without scaling (just a normal HD monitor, not high DPI).  I tried enabling the Windows 8.1 compatibility mode "disable display scaling on high-DPI displays", which fixes most applications with this problem, but Evernote ignores this option and renders exactly the same.

I suppose Windows 10 might fix this problem, but that's too long to wait.  Evernote needs to implement the compatibility mode.

• Level 5*

@Justin: I think that there's general appreciation for the "remindertime:<relative>+<n>" fix that came along with this build. Thanks for that. It appears that the search grammar page ought to be updated on that point, as well.

• Level 5

Bug Report : Using the latest version of Evernote, downloaded from above Link. 

Context Feature - The Context feature is displaying Notes from Other Websites, but only the WALL STREET JOURNAL website is opening. Other sites like TechCrunch and some others are displaying Title Contexts, but clicking them, they won't open. Please check this.. 

We just launch the native web browser for non-WSJ articles. If that's not working, you may need to restore your browser's default associations.

The 5.8.4.6870 version renders blurry text even when it's running on the same display it used to run on without scaling (just a normal HD monitor, not high DPI).  I tried enabling the Windows 8.1 compatibility mode "disable display scaling on high-DPI displays", which fixes most applications with this problem, but Evernote ignores this option and renders exactly the same.

I suppose Windows 10 might fix this problem, but that's too long to wait.  Evernote needs to implement the compatibility mode.

I was able to fix this using the compatibility switch as detailed in this post: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82080-font-looks-blurryout-of-focus-after-update/ 

You have to restart to get the fix. 

The 5.8.4.6870 version becomes unresponsive (Evernote not responding) when I try to edit a business Card note.

1. I create a new note via iPhone camera, business card photo.

2. I sync note.

3. I try to change/edit the note in Evernote for Windows.

4. I receive "evernote not responding" notice.

Note: I am able to edit the business card note in my iPhone/iPad evernote app.  

Well, this is supposed to be stable version? i was afraid of updating from previous beta and ZASSSS, after updating im having multiples "not responding" freezes, things that i didn't had with beta version, can't understand the teting system you guys have...

Downgrading to previous beta...

Best regards,

I was able to fix this using the compatibility switch as detailed in this post: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82080-font-looks-blurryout-of-focus-after-update/ 

You have to restart to get the fix. 

Thank you, rebooting fixed it.  (seems odd to be writing those last-millenia words here in 2015, but oh well)

Having issues installing this version.  This is my first install of Evernote on this computer and I am receiving a bootstrapper error:

(.\Bootstapper.cpp:915) 0x643:Fatal error during installation

Running Windows 8.1 Pro Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600

I get a window with the Bootstrapper error and also several windows that with a similar error:

Could not write value to key \Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Clip Image.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I am running the install "As Administrator"

Running IE 11.0.9600.17690

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.

O'Robhartach

• 1 month later...

Having issues installing this version.  This is my first install of Evernote on this computer and I am receiving a bootstrapper error:

I get a window with the Bootstrapper error and also several windows that with a similar error:

Could not write value to key \Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\Clip Image.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Thanks.

O'Robhartach

I'm having the same problem as O'Robhartach...  New Windows 8.1 install...

Did you obtain a resolution for this error?  I've received the same error and reached out to Evernote and have been unable to resolve the problem.  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

O'Robhartach

Did you obtain a resolution for this error?  I've received the same error and reached out to Evernote and have been unable to resolve the problem.  

Has anyone else seen this issue and found a resolution?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I'm running Win 10 and this problem just started for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

O'Robhartach

Has anyone else seen this issue and found a resolution?

Thanks!

I have had this problem for a few weeks - decided to wait until upgrading to Windows 10 to see if it resolved the issue but it didn't.  I am considering uninstalling Internet Explorer completely (I use Firefox) to see if this helps, but after that I'm at a complete loss.  Am pretty fed up as I have just upgraded to EN Premium and can't use it the way I want to which is primarily as a way of prioritising tasks / emails with the Outlook add-in.   I'm surprised at the lack of support for this error as it seems to be cropping up quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DPI support is gone on my computer too.

Running Windows 10-64 bit; it does not matter whether or not in the shortcut I checked "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings." It's just as fuzzy both ways (after fully closing Evernote in between making changes.) Previously--a release or two ago--I got a sharp display with that option checked. :(

Thks  :)Chris92103. It worked. Uninstalled Parallels Tools, Downloaded Evernote and installed it without any problem. Reinstalled Parallels Tools. Back in business :D

Excellent! :)

Chris92103 You are a genius!  This worked for me too and I've tried everything over a period of months.  I'm so delighted its fixed.  Thanks!!! :)

Thks  :)Chris92103. It worked. Uninstalled Parallels Tools, Downloaded Evernote and installed it without any problem. Reinstalled Parallels Tools. Back in business :D

Excellent! :)

Chris92103 You are a genius!  This worked for me too and I've tried everything over a period of months.  I'm so delighted its fixed.  Thanks!!! :)

I'm glad to be of assistance.  I actually found the solution somewhere else that someone had posted. :)

Archived