How to unmerge notes

• 5 months later...

What device are you looking in your trash on? Mac, Windows, iOS, Android? Have you checked in your trash on the web client? The typical behavior would be that when you merge notes, the individual notes go to trash. Did you perhaps purge/ empty your trash notebook subsequent to merging? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

hello frank.dg...I am on an IMAC...I have not emptied or done anything like that

He is talking about the Evernote Trash, not the Mac Trash.

Have you looked in the EN Trash, at the bottom of the Notebook list?

The original Notes that were merged should definitely be there, until/unless you have emptied the EN Trash.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

If the twenty notes aren't in the trash, the only options can think of are to either copy/paste from the merged note back to the originals, or create 20 copies of the merged note and edit those back to the originals. 

Don't get why the merged notes weren't in the trash though, they should have been.  Sure you didn't empty the trash at some point?  if not you could submit a bug report to EN.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

For my Evernote for Windows [6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954)], merged notes get trashed into "Trash" by default without the need to check "Keep copy of original notes" checkbox as mentioned in the link. However, there are times when you do clean out the trash (purge the original unmerged notes) but realize later that you want to unmerge. So I think there should be an option for unmerging a merged notes.