"missing_note_content" error while importing .enex file

burkitt

In order to categorize all my ~3000 notes efficiently, i first exported them and deleted my old notes. while importing my notes, it gives "missing_note_content" error when it imports 437th note. any way of repairing .enex file? I searched the forums but couldn't find a way of it.

If it's possible and one says it is repairable, please tell me how.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

You can edit the .enex file with a text editor. You'll need to understand he format, which you can read about here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php. You may have some fun trying to locate the note that's a problem, but it should be doable. I'd clip that particular troublesome note out and stash it somewhere else, in case you want to try to repair it individually and import it separately.

• Level 5*

In order to categorize all my ~3000 notes efficiently, i first exported them and deleted my old notes. while importing my notes, it gives "missing_note_content" error when it imports 437th note. any way of repairing .enex file? I searched the forums but couldn't find a way of it.

Thanks.

Sorry you're having trouble, but I'm curious.  Why did you feel the need to export/delete your Notes?  Why not just create a temp holding Notebook, move them all there, and then do your reorganization from there?  That seems simpler, and also avoids chewing up your monthly upload allowance.

Thanks.

Sorry you're having trouble, but I'm curious.  Why did you feel the need to export/delete your Notes?  Why not just create a temp holding Notebook, move them all there, and then do your reorganization from there?  That seems simpler, and also avoids chewing up your monthly upload allowance.

You're right, what i did was stupid, but it's a long story to tell why. I ended up losing all my notes :( Anyway, thanks for your help, i will try to fix my problem and post here if I succeed.

Cheers.

• Level 5*

@burkitt:  No problem.  We all make mistakes.  Many wise people have said that we learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes.

Good luck to you in the future.

There were 2 bad sectors in the file, so i debulked the file in order to delete those sectors regardless of importance of the notes they contain. Out of 3203 notes, i could save 2865 note, which is a very good number for me.

Thanks for your help.

For those who wonder how to fix errors in .enex files, use a text editor and start searching for errors from the first line of the file. For example, number of <en-note> strings in the text file indicates that how many notes you have in your account. And for example -again-, if importing failed at 403rd note, than look for the 403rd <en-note> string in text file, it is the corrupt note which causes missing_note_content error. One by one, you can clear those bad lines and fix the file - thus - save your exported notes.

Archived