Evernote for Mac 6.0.7 Beta 1 - New Notebook View

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We’ve got a really cool new notebook view that we would love to get your feedback on.  You have to be use the Evernote for Mac 6.0.7 Beta 1 to try it out.  You can download it from http://bit.ly/1wvlqZp.

To turn it on, quit Evernote, go to the Terminal app and type:

defaults write com.evernote.Evernote ENNotebooksModuleUpdateEnabled YES

The new notebook view only works on Mavericks and Yosemite so don’t turn it on if you have Lion or Mountain Lion.  It’s complete and fully functional.  There’s a few bugs but I’m using it full time and don’t see many issues.  The goal of the new feature is to simplify navigation and to provide the foundation for showing you more information on notebooks at a glance.  If you want to revert back to the old notebook view just rerun the command above but change YES to NO.  Please write comments about the new notebook view in this forum thread.

This feature will NOT ship in 6.0.7 but will ship in a future release and we would like your thoughts on this before we ship it.  Please keep comments on the new notebook view in this thread.

25 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Well, I don't use the notebook view very often. Anyway, as some others I don't see what's so cool about it. OK, the stacks can be collapsed but there is only one column instead of 4 or more in the old list view. Imho, the old list view with collapseable stacks would be much cooler.

In Ver 6.0.6 (Mavericks), Stacks *are* collapsable in Notebook list view.

Yes, you are right. I think I never used the context menu on stacks in the view. But an arrow as in the new notebook view would be better.

Thank you!

Well, I don't use the notebook view very often. Anyway, as some others I don't see what's so cool about it. OK, the stacks can be collapsed but there is only one column instead of 4 or more in the old list view. Imho, the old list view with collapseable stacks would be much cooler.

The multi-column Notebook list view in Ver 6.0.6 is MUCH, MUCH better than the single column shown above for Ver 6.0.7 Beta 1.

Yes. They did it some monthes ago in the windows version - terrible!!!

The multi-column view was so clear and so good!

Single column view may be okay for small screens - but most desktop monitors have 27 or 30 " . Now I have to scroll ... and to scroll ... and to scroll - single column view is, again, terrible!

• Level 5*

You know, I actually don't have much use for the main Notebook view.

I would much rather see Evernote put the effort into making the Notebook tree view in the Left Panel have full functionality, like we had way back in Ver 3.

Same thing goes for Tags.  Really, really would like to see a fully-functional Tag tree view in the Left Panel. 

This includes:

• Collapse all / Expand All
  • Add a Tag by right click on Parent Tag
  • Delete a Tag
  • Rename Tag by right-click or two spaced single clicks
  • Move Tag by right-click and select Parent
  • Select and move multiple tags, by either drag/drop or select Parent
  • Multi-select tags to filter, or to assign to selected Note(s)
  • Set tag filter by right-click on Parent tag and choose "All" (meaning Parent and all children)

At the top of the Left Panel, I'd like a Collapse All / Expand All toggle

Thanks.

The multi-column Notebook list view in Ver 6.0.6 is MUCH, MUCH better than the single column shown above for Ver 6.0.7 Beta 1.

What would really be helpful is to add colors and icons to clearly identify:

• Local NB
  • Shared NB
  • Joined NB

Agreed. The new view wastes a bunch of space. The new "last edited" dates are nice, but the view could at least be two columns or something.

Right click only seems to work in certain parts of the text box/cell - the top works but not actually the notebook name.

In our experience this only happens when you control-click, and not when you right-click (or two finger tap on a trackpad). Can you confirm?

Assuming you’re seeing the same issue, this has already been fixed but the fix did not make it in to the beta.

Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, The only dead zones that I see with control-click are over the notebook names and number of notes.

two-finger clicking, works on everything as you stated.

• Level 5*

What would really be helpful is to add colors and icons to clearly identify:

• Local NB
  • Shared NB
  • Joined NB

For an example see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/72556-introducing-work-chat/?p=347038

EN-Mac-606-Shared-NB-UI.png

This illustrates colors/icons on the Side Panel, but the same approach could be (and should be IMO) applied to the basic Notebooks view (both icon and list views).

I must be doing something wrong.  How do you get to this new Notebook View?

I installed the beta, quit everything, and ran the following command in Terminal: defaults write com.evernote.Evernote ENNotebooksModuleUpdateEnabled YES

I can't see it anywhere.

I'm experiencing the same thing – installed beta, restarted computer after install, quit EN & EN Helper, ran command (in a new command window which provides a "process complete prompt"), re-opened EN and no change in notebook view. My account is the only one on this computer and thus has admin rights.

Doesn't particularly bother me as others have suggested it doesn't add much, if any, functionality right now but I thought this would be worthwhile to add to the conversation.

• Level 5

• Level 5*

I installed the beta, quit everything, and ran the following command in Terminal: defaults write com.evernote.Evernote ENNotebooksModuleUpdateEnabled YES

I can't see it anywhere.

Have you clicked on Notebooks in the left hand bar? or try alt+cmd+2

I can't see it anywhere.

• Level 5*

Lived with it for a couple of days. It makes absolutely no difference to my usage of the app. Don't think it's particularly 'cool' and it doesn't currently show me any more information. Now if it's the 'foundation' for showing me more, maybe you can give me some examples of what might be there?

I have a problem with sync. I can`t see my notes in my Evernote on Mac(OS X Yosemite 10.10.2) but they are available on iPhone 5S or Evernote Web. Notes sync on my Mac only after editing on iPhone or Evernote Web. I got this problem after updating.

I don't see how it adds anything over the old Mac Notebook view—in list mode anyway—other than more whitespace.

I attached two (low-res) screenshots of the old and new notebook views to demonstrate what I mean.

post-109175-0-59569100-1425418161_thumb.

post-109175-0-77612600-1425418167_thumb.

Looks pretty much like the notebooks list on the iPad including the addition of "Recent notebooks" to the Mac client as well (except with more whitespace). I like the current list view better where I am able to see all of my notebooks (40+ when all stacks are uncollapsed) in one view. You could easily fit in a "Recent notebooks" list to this view - although I'd rather you didn't.

The goal of the new feature is to simplify navigation and to provide the foundation for showing you more information on notebooks at a glance.  

So yeah, if I can't see all my notebooks at a glance, anyway ... what's the point?

• Level 5

Right click only seems to work in certain parts of the text box/cell - the top works but not actually the notebook name.

In our experience this only happens when you control-click, and not when you right-click (or two finger tap on a trackpad). Can you confirm?

Assuming you’re seeing the same issue, this has already been fixed but the fix did not make it in to the beta.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Level 5*

It looks a little prettier but I'm not sure it's giving me any more information than before.

Archived