Multi-select

Tasoli

Idea

Have seen many topics about this, searched google and found many results, but they're all referencing something that doesn't work for me on any browser (is it a bug? I dunno).

How do you multi-select? Control + click and shift + click do nothing for me. I'm logging in via browser and trying to multi-select more than 1 note.

• Like 2

29 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Click and then Shift-Click doesn't work in Windows browsers to my knowledge.  The only multi-note select in the browser is Click and then as may Alt-Clicks as you like.  At least that's what I've found.

Shift-Click does work in the desktop clients, FWIW.

• Level 5*

It's possible to list notes together if they have a common title or tag,  contain the same search term,  or belong to the same temporary notebook.  It's not possible to select more than one individual note for printing,  deletion or any other purpose.  Maybe if you can give us more information about what you wish to do with these notes,  we can offer more suggestions...

Apparently my post was slightly too generic, so allow me to be more specific:

I am using the Web client on Google Chrome and want to move multiple notes from one notebook to another. How do I accomplish this?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The current web beta doesn't appear to support multi-select in the note list, however, if you revert to the actual release web client, you can do multi-select via Ctrl+Click, and it makes tagging, moving a bunch of notes to a new notebook, or merging notes pretty easy. No Shift+Click however.

Account / Settings / Beta : Go back to old version

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I don't understand why Evernote Web doesn't support SHIFT+Click.

CTRL-Click or CMD-Click is OK for a few notes, but if you have 100's or 1000's of notes to move or tag, CTRL/CMD-click is not practical.

Hi,

I want to use Evernote but need to delete many of my old notes. Since there are hundreds of notes to delete, I want to do it efficiently.  I am using the Chrome Web Browser on a Windows 10 computer and none of these work:

Shift+Enter, CTR+Enter, ALT+Enter.

I consider this a rather basic function. Multi select should be something allowable. Please advise. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Multiple note selection doesn't appear to work on the new web client yet,  but if you revert back to the old version,  Ctrl + click (in Windows) will pop up the familiar merge / tag / move sub-menu.

• Like 1

Man, this is driving me crazy.  I need to select many tags to grab a bunch of notes and move them to another notebook.  I am using desktop client on Mac.  I want something like command+ mouse-click, mouse-click.... etc.  No key combination I try works.  I've tried searching the usual places for answers.  Please help!

• Level 5*
On 09/06/2016 at 7:37 PM, Marshmellow Flu said:

Man, this is driving me crazy.  I need to select many tags to grab a bunch of notes and move them to another notebook.  I am using desktop client on Mac.  I want something like command+ mouse-click, mouse-click.... etc.  No key combination I try works.  I've tried searching the usual places for answers.  Please help!

Hi.  Why do you need to select 'many tags' and how does it go wrong?  A search with multiple tags will get you your list of notes,  and if they're going to different notebooks you could use a temporary tag on each block of notes with the name of the destination notebook (plus a generic MOVE! tag) to make it easy to find all of them again and drag/ drop into the correct places.

• Like 2

Yay!  Help is here!  My problem is easily creating the search with many tags without typing each one in.  Is there really no multiselect?  I'm on macbook pro with EN premium.

Specifically...  I have a lot of tags* for different recipes (.pasta, .chicken,...).  The notes are in a general notebook with billions of others.  I want to select all the recipes and move them to a new notebook.  In any GUI where i can see all my tags I can't press command or shift or whatever then select a group of them (like if you want to multi select pretty much anything in a list, email, files...). I can only select one tag at a time.  Is my only option to use a search query and type the name of every single kind of recipe tag i have? 

Thanks!!

*Tangent: they are nested under a tag called .recipes but as far as I can tell there's no point to nesting since I can't grab the top level tag to get all the children.  What am I missing?  Thanks again!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Marshmellow Flu said:

My problem is easily creating the search with many tags without typing each one in.  Is there really no multiselect?  I'm on macbook pro with EN premium.

No multi select, but you might find it easier to use the search builder at the bottom of the search window

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 6.19.26 PM.png

>>Tangent: they are nested under a tag called .recipes but as far as I can tell there's no point to nesting since I can't grab the top level tag to get all the children.  
    What am I missing?

I understand this is an option in the Windows version; it will make it into the Mac version some day
There is still a benefit for organizing your tags.  
Also you can expand or collapse parent tags.  My collapsed tag list is very compact

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 2.28.48 PM.png

• Like 1

Bummer.  Well, thanks very much for your help!  The search builder and adding new tags takes a lot of mousing.  I'd rather do everything on the keyboard when I can.  Advanced search operators don't seem to work in the search builder.  Where am I supposed to type them in?  Or are there special escape characters?  

p.s. I've looked on the internet for all this stuff and it's frustratingly hard to get definitive answers.  Am I really the only mac person who wants multiselect and regex? :( 

• Level 5*
On 6/9/2016 at 1:37 PM, Marshmellow Flu said:

I need to select many tags to grab a bunch of notes

Have you tried using the Tag Filter?  It's not perfect, but it's not too bad to select multiple tags, with auto-suggest:

1. Show all notes -- ⌘⇧A
  2. Add first tag to filter -- ⌘⇧J
    1. note that as you start typing the tag name, Evernote will auto-search / auto-suggest tags that match what you have typed.
    2. Select tag and press RETURN
    3. Note list is filtered by that tag
  3. Continue adding tags -- ⌘⇧J
    1. repeat until you have selected all the tags you want

This is much faster/easier than building a Search box of tag:Tag1 tag:Tag2   etc

Demo Using Tag Filter (animated GIF)

EN-Mac-Multi-Tag-Selection-AN.gif

Give it a try, and let us know what you think.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Marshmellow Flu said:

Bummer.  Well, thanks very much for your help!  The search builder and adding new tags takes a lot of mousing.  I'd rather do everything on the keyboard when I can.  Advanced search operators don't seem to work in the search builder.  Where am I supposed to type them in?  Or are there special escape characters?  

I updated my post to also show the search box; in addition to the search builder, you can also type in the search box

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 6.19.26 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On June 20, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Marshmellow Flu said:

I'd rather do everything on the keyboard when I can.

Windows user here, out of interest, is there not a Shift-Alt-T hot key alternative on Mac that enables sequential tag picking?

• Like 1
On June 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Have you tried using the Tag Filter?  It's not perfect, but it's not too bad to select multiple tags, with auto-suggest:

1. Show all notes -- ⌘⇧A
  2. Add first tag to filter -- ⌘⇧J
    1. note that as you start typing the tag name, Evernote will auto-search / auto-suggest tags that match what you have typed.
    2. Select tag and press RETURN
    3. Note list is filtered by that tag
  3. Continue adding tags -- ⌘⇧J
    1. repeat until you have selected all the tags you want

This is much faster/easier than building a Search box of tag:Tag1 tag:Tag2   etc

Demo Using Tag Filter (animated GIF)

Give it a try, and let us know what you think.

That would be great but it doesn't seem to work for me..?  At step 3 the list of possibilities is small and pretty random.  When I do it again, the 2nd tag I put there is gone and the list of possibilities is even smaller.  Even if I type a tag name that I know exists it can't find it.  It's acting very buggy.  Im pretty sure it's up to date.  Last Evernote update I installed was on june 9.  Should I delete the app and reinstall?

It's very odd.

On June 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM, DTLow said:

I updated my post to also show the search box; in addition to the search builder, you can also type in the search box

My Evernote is haunted (see above with command+shift+J).  I swear nothing happened before when i typed directly in the search box but it seems to work fine now?!  Thanks for your help!

On June 21, 2016 at 8:19 AM, csihilling said:

Windows user here, out of interest, is there not a Shift-Alt-T hot key alternative on Mac that enables sequential.tag picking?

Maybe of interest...  here's what happens when I do Shift-Alt(Option)-T when I'm looking at all my tags.  All my tags go away and cursor goes up to search box and a little upside down caret appears to the left.  A developer placeholder for adding this functionality to mac too?

EN-tag-search.png

• Level 5*
On 6/21/2016 at 10:19 AM, csihilling said:

Windows user here, out of interest, is there not a Shift-Alt-T hot key alternative on Mac that enables sequential tag picking?

No.  Neither does EN Mac have the great Tag Assignment tool CTRL+ALT+T that EN Win has.  I really miss that tool in EN Mac.

Here it is, nine months later, and I'm still looking for a way to move multiple notes from one notebook to another in Evernote Web Premium........unsuccessfully. 

Has anyone been able to achieve this yet ?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Here it is, nine months later, and I'm still looking for a way to move multiple notes from one notebook to another in Evernote Web Premium........unsuccessfully. 

Has anyone been able to achieve this yet ?

The discussion has been moved to the web forum

No action on this yet, but there's a new web release in the works, so there's hope

• Like 1
On 3/15/2017 at 1:02 PM, DTLow said:

The discussion has been moved to the web forum

No action on this yet, but there's a new web release in the works, so there's hope

IS THERE AN UPDATE ON whether the new web release will include MOVE FUNCTION? 

Really to have REMOVED that from the new web version AND START CHARGING more to use EN ... bad customer service

• Level 5*

If you've had an account for a while,  and have the option to go back to the 'classic' (ie old) version in your web account settings,  multi-select and move are still available there.  The 'new' web version hasn't had any features removed - AFAIK nothing is being done there (except maybe essential maintenance) until the 2017 new new version arrives.  And no,  we have no information about what is,  or is not included in that.

Wow really?  Two years later and still no multi select on the Web app?   So they come out with a new version and get rid of vital feature.   This is concerning that this feature has been ignored in the web version.    

• Level 5*
On 09/04/2017 at 11:12 PM, gazumped said:

The 'new' web version hasn't had any features removed - AFAIK nothing is being done there (except maybe essential maintenance) until the 2017 new new version arrives.

The current "new" version is an old-tech proof of concept beta that was intended to be developed,  but never got upgraded further.  Evernote allegedly have an upgrade in the works.

The old web version is completely unstable and not supported any more: the notes just disapper as one scrolls down the list of notes. Have to reload the page. It's almost unusable.

The new one doesn't have such a basic feature as multiselect. It is a real pain to move/remove a bunch of notes. This basic, primitive user need is ignored for MORE THAN 2 YEARS!!

IOS app is getting slower and slower with each release. 

Such a shame...

Thinking about moving from Evernote premium account to something else

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-08 at 2:48 PM, Ricky said:

Wow really?  Two years later and still no multi select on the Web app?   So they come out with a new version and get rid of vital feature.   This is concerning that this feature has been ignored in the web version.    

This request has 5a7c78e83e35d_ScreenShot2018-02-08at08_20_35.png.3cb0ec4cc909bc7bac0834e4809e31a9.png votes.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

Chrome os community is growing bigger and Evernote Web is the only available client of Evernote on chrome os (the android version doesn't work ok on the os). Updating multiple notes takes a lot of effort and time with the web client because there is no multi-selection feature, which makes long term use of Evernote questionable for chrome os users.

It's gone 6 years since this feature/issue was reported here. Please now add the function for multi-selection to the web client. 

• Like 1