Using Evernote Without An Internet Connection

Hello,

I have just discovered Evernote and think it's a wonderful app. I am about to start using it work, however I wish to check one thing first.

I work in film and plan to use EN to take and organise reference photographs.

Frequently I am working in locations without wifi and unable to use cell conection due to the risk of interference with equipment.

My question is, what are the limitations this will cause? It is just a case of notes not being backed up until I get home at night. Or is there a risk that data will be lost, or I will be unable to access my notes when I need them? Yesterday I was in a situation where I had to produce photographs of a scene we shot a week ago at a moments notice, so I am slightly wary of this.

• Level 5*

I think there is some risk in creating EN iOS notes when not connected to either wi-fi or cellular.

I haven't experienced it, but I have seen a number of reports in these forums where users state they lost notes created in this manner.

I'd suggest that you use a camera app that stores the photos on your iPhone/iPad, and then, if you wish, copy them later to Evernote.

Camera+ is a great camera app, much better than what you get through the Evernote snapshot feature.  With it you can save your photos in either Camera+ storage or Apple Photos, or both.

You should also be aware that photos stored in Evernote lose their camera/photo metadata.

Thank you so much for your help.

Damn, that's annoying. EN seems to be a great app, but in an offline situation it seems to fail badly.

Quick question, does Camera Plus allow users to take multiple photographs in a row? Most apps require you to press a camera button, hit the shutter and then hit "use photo". This is seemingly easy, but when in a rush and need to take a lot of pictures, it is torture! That was one of the main things that drew me to EN.

Also can Camera Plus put photographs into folders/sub folders and make notes on them?

• Level 5*

Hello,

I have just discovered Evernote and think it's a wonderful app. I am about to start using it work, however I wish to check one thing first.

I work in film and plan to use EN to take and organise reference photographs.

Frequently I am working in locations without wifi and unable to use cell conection due to the risk of interference with equipment.

My question is, what are the limitations this will cause? It is just a case of notes not being backed up until I get home at night. Or is there a risk that data will be lost, or I will be unable to access my notes when I need them? Yesterday I was in a situation where I had to produce photographs of a scene we shot a week ago at a moments notice, so I am slightly wary of this.

I would suggest you give it a dry run to see how it works for you.  Take the pictures, see how you can use them prior to sync, and then be sure and sync when you are back in wifi range.  Not a lot of effort to see if it works for you.  Let us know how it goes.

I'm in property management, and often work off site in areas with poor cell phone reception or on my iPad, which isn't connected to WiFi when I'm in the field.  Generally, I'm fine creating notes offline and having them sync later (using an iPhone), but I have had notes disappear in the process.  I would encourage you to just use your phone camera and then create notes later when you can use your cell phone reception - selecting photos to put into a note is simple and quick, too.  

Keep using Evernote - sometimes when you can't find the right feature off the bat its easier to get frustrated and go to something else, but I have rarely run into a situation where I couldn't get Evernote to do what I needed to do when I needed it done.  

Archived