Logging in/out of a work/office computer

I have performed searches on this topic. I couldn't find an answer so I will ask it here.

When I launch the desktop icon in Windows (especially at work), it automatically logs me in to my account. Now seeing that I use this at work bothers me because anyone with an administrative account can access my desktop and can launch my Evernote and my account. This is an obvious privacy issue and I would love to turn off the auto login feature.  But I'm having a hard time finding where to turn it off. 

Can someone please assist me by instructing me on how to turn off the auto login feature?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Is ti true that an admin can log into your account without you having given the password? I didn't think that that was true.

Regardless, anyone with admin account can just go into your Evernote directory and read your unencrypted notes database and any other files you have. Disabling your auto-login wouldn't seem to give you much benefit.

What you could do is to set up a separate work account, and only keep your work stuff in it. If you need to access work stuff from your personal account, then you can share notebooks to it. 

Is ti true that an admin can log into your account without you having given the password? I didn't think that that was true.

Regardless, anyone with admin account can just go into your Evernote directory and read your unencrypted notes database and any other files you have. Disabling your auto-login wouldn't seem to give you much benefit.

What you could do is to set up a separate work account, and only keep your work stuff in it. If you need to access work stuff from your personal account, then you can share notebooks to it. 

An network administrative account can reset your network login to your PC and connect  to and view all of your files. 

I do have separate accounts for work and personal, but when I logged in this morning my personal Evernote logged in automatically. When I launch Evernote I should see the login screen asking me for my password. This does not happen. I made sure not to check the Remember Me box, in fact I never use it. 

This is my issue.

• Level 5*

An admin already pwns your box. You have no expectation of privacy on a work machine. That is your actual issue.

You can protect yourself by not putting your personal stuff on a work machine. One way to do that is to have a separate Evernote account for work.

An admin already pwns your box. You have no expectation of privacy on a work machine. That is your actual issue.

You can protect yourself by not putting your personal stuff on a work machine. One way to do that is to have a separate Evernote account for work.

This does not resolve my original question. And as I have stated previously, I have 2 accounts already. 

So I pose the question once again:

What setting in Evernote automatically logs you into Evernote when you launch the application?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you File > Sign Out <user> you're logged out of your account.  If you File > Exit,  you shut the app down,  but don't fully exit the account and a restart will open the view that you closed on. 

If you are signing out but find that the app opens up to your account,  it could be that there is other password software on your computer to auto login to Evernote.

I have to echo @jefito though - logged in or not,  unless you have saved it to an encrypted partition,  your notes are available to anyone who can access the hard drive and view the database contents outside of the application.

• Level 5*

Really Gaz, I'm sad to see you turning something positive into a negative.

If you check my posts and likes, I think you'll find that I most often am contributing to the solution of a question.

I was trying to compliment you, but you choose to take it otherwise.  Oh well.

Thanks for the information. It wasn't anything I was doing wrong. Like I said before everyday I "sign out" and exit program. I turn off my PC.  Next morning I sign into the PC and start up Evernote and it auto logs you in. 

This honestly should never happen. I don't care if you exit or sign off. It really doesn't matter. Evernote should always require a password unless otherwise setup by the User not by the company. Since it's my data. 

Second, I looked at the encryption methods available and the fact that you can't encrypt the whole note or notebook is really a lot of fail. 

In the age of data that gets stolen on daily basis, not that anyone is going to give 2 poops about what my data has, I would have to almost require that a company like Evernote adopted stricter encryption methods. 

Anyway, I will in all likely hood stop using Evernote because of my encryption concerns and login problems. 

Thanks for the help. This is my last post because of forum restrictions, so if I don't respond it's because of that.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the information. It wasn't anything I was doing wrong. Like I said before everyday I "sign out" and exit program. I turn off my PC.  Next morning I sign into the PC and start up Evernote and it auto logs you in. 

Jedi, IF you actually sign out of Evernote before you shut down your PC, you should be required to log back in the next time you startup Evernote on that PC.  AFAIK, there is NO autologin.  

If this is not what you are seeing, then I suggest that you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

• Level 5*

Thanks.  You,  on the other hand,  were (as usual) commentring on my style rather than contributing to the question.

No worries, gaz -- he's talking about me, not you. Funny thing, though -- I actually did suggest signing out, which is the action that's supposed to work.

jedit_polaris: I did re-try the sign out thing, and it worked for me. I was required to sign back into my account. Not sure what's going on with your system if that's not what you're encountering, but there's one other thing that you might try, which is disabling the auto-startup of Evernote: Tools / Options / General / Launch Evernote at Windows Login. At the very least, that will stop Evernote from coming up automatically at all. On the other hand, a two account system should work fine; I use one now, and it keeps my personal stuff completely off of my work machine, except for my notebook that has all of my software development related articles, and that I am apt to read in both contexts. If I need to access my personal stuff while I'm at work., I can do it using my phone. You already have two accounts -- is there some reason that that's not working for you?

The encryption this has been discussed a fair bit elsewhere on the forums. That you can't encrypt a whole notebook is a design choice, per Evernote staff comments. If that's a deal breaker for you, then it's probably game over, but it might be worth your time reading that commentary.

• 2 years later...

Archived