Text search in scannable jpg's

stb-mogens

Idea

I'm a bit surprised that I was not able to find any texts when trying to search a number of notes originating from an iPhone via the scannable app. The scans are absolutely perfect in comparison with what a normal photo gives, but the whole idea goes into the drain if the notes are not searchable.

Can this be due to delays on Evernote servers? The scans have been on the server for more than 4 hours now.

6 replies to this idea

Thanks Gazumped, but I don't think the missing text recognition has anything to do with that the jpg's comes from scannable. They are just jpg's like any other jpg. But it seems to me as if Evernote cannot recognize text in these jpg's - at least what I have tried so far. BTW, still no searchable text now 12 hours after the scans were put on Evernotes servers. Has anyone had any luck with text recognition with jpg's from scannable? The multipage scans I have seen, and automatically saved as pdf's by Scannable, are indeed searchable (my account is premium).

• Level 5*

Ah.  Assumed you were using Scannable to generate PDFs.  If you're into JPGs and (presumably) a free user,  I'm still not sure what the queue time would be for work to complete but you are in last priority after any premium user processing.  JPGs also tend to be a little hit and miss,  depending on the quality of the picture.  I do know that Image OCR has a max picture size of 3000 x 2400px at 300 DPI.

I don't mean to revive a dead thread but, this had my terms.  Is this what you guys are using to create a separate note for every document scanned, as a jpeg?  I missed that feature using the evernote Scansnap compared to the non-branded Scansnap, ie. every scan a separate note.   Is there any downside to going that route, jpeg over pdf?  I can't stand how evernote puts all scans into a single pdf and am looking to avoid it at  (almost) any cost BUT still want to be able to search for any word.  Is that possible?  I assume the the jpeg is probably only searchable while it lives in evernote but, that's not really a concern for me.  Is that pretty much the downside?  If I go to jpeg, the next question is how to get my multi-paged pdfs into a signle jpeg each, hmmmmmm  THANKS!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, keithl said:

I don't mean to revive a dead thread but, this had my terms.

You've covered so many things in your post

Here's documentation on Evernote's image processing: https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/07/18/how-evernotes-image-recognition-works/

The benefits I see in pdf over jpeg

• Multiple images
  • Can view inline or as attachment
  • Can be encrypted

otoh   handwriting in jpeg gets ocr'd

Evernote does not "put all scans into a single pdf"
Possibly you have issues with your scanner software

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

The benefits I see in pdf over jpeg

• Multiple images
  • Can view inline or as attachment
  • Can be encrypted

I could add that when pdf's are OCR'ed (by your scanner software - not Evernotes text recognition), you can copy/paste text which is not possible with image files.

Archived