Jump to content

Idea

I should be able to open an Evernote note on my iPad and write notes with a stylus directly into an existing note or create a new handwritten note without resorting to Penultimate.  Penultimate is an awful app that truly does not even integrate well with the rest of Evernote.  Handwriting needs to be seamless.  Onenote for iPad recently introduced such a feature and it works but not fluidly enough.  Still, its better than what Evernote has for handwriting.  I want all my notes together, regardless of what kind they are, and handwriting needs to be fully integrated, not some add on kludge.

 

The first company with smooth, fully integrated handwriting support will blow the other out of the water.

Share this post


Link to post

17 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I should be able to open an Evernote note on my iPad and write notes with a stylus directly into an existing note or create a new handwritten note without resorting to Penultimate.  Penultimate is an awful app that truly does not even integrate well with the rest of Evernote.  Handwriting needs to be seamless.  Onenote for iPad recently introduced such a feature and it works but not fluidly enough.  Still, its better than what Evernote has for handwriting.  I want all my notes together, regardless of what kind they are, and handwriting needs to be fully integrated, not some add on kludge.

 

The first company with smooth, fully integrated handwriting support will blow the other out of the water.

Have you tried Penultimate since the most recent upgrade? Yes, it was pretty much unusable previously, but now works well.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I think that handwriting MUST be integrated directly into Evernote. I use Evernote every day in meetings and use also a logitech keyboard for text input. But often I need also to draw something to the text or I need to highlight a text fast.

 

In Microsoft OneNote this is possible and this is a very useful feature. (I don't want to change from on app to another to to this!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Have you tried Penultimate since the most recent upgrade? Yes, it was pretty much unusable previously, but now works well.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I think that handwriting MUST be integrated directly into Evernote. I use Evernote every day in meetings and use also a logitech keyboard for text input. But often I need also to draw something to the text or I need to highlight a text fast.

 

In Microsoft OneNote this is possible and this is a very useful feature. (I don't want to change from on app to another to to this!)

I second this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

 

Have you tried Penultimate since the most recent upgrade? Yes, it was pretty much unusable previously, but now works well.

 

Yes ... I use Penultimate nearly every day ... but as I wrote: I don't want to use 2 programs to write down my notes and switch between them. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Evernote bought Penultimate,  so presumably it (and Skitch) will be shoehorned together at some stage into one cohesive package.  They're two (or more) different systems written by separate teams however,  so melding them together probably isn't exactly easy.  And there may be some arguments against a full-on merge,  since some (many?) users won't need Penultimate's features regularly,  if ever,  and will complain mightily about valuable screen real-estate being given over to unused menus.  Movement on this doesn't seem likely in any short term...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There is Way : install MyScript Stack keyboard (free and pretty decent app to handwriting converted into text , like the old times of Pocket pc or palm ) and Doodle keyboard (cheap app)that will allow you draw in a rectangle at the bottom of the iPad and paste it into the EN note

Switching both keyboard You can use EN note as a notepad

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

 

I think that handwriting MUST be integrated directly into Evernote. I use Evernote every day in meetings and use also a logitech keyboard for text input. But often I need also to draw something to the text or I need to highlight a text fast.

 

In Microsoft OneNote this is possible and this is a very useful feature. (I don't want to change from on app to another to to this!)

I second this

 

I third this.... my paper notes are always a mix of text and diagrams, arrows etc. No-one writes notes and ideas down just as a big page of text.

 

While I find Evernote very useful for pasting collections of stuff off the web & not losing important notes, unfortunately the usability and quality of the notes themselves are not as good as what you can do instantly with paper and a pen. You simply don't have time to play around with a second application and cut and paste when ideas are coming thick and fast and you have just seconds to jot ideas - it's a hassle and therefore deleterious to creativity.

 

While I'm at it, it would be very useful to have text boxes too. The ability to type a chunk of text placed anywhere on the page would be great, like sticky notes, or a list etc. The page could end up looking like a bunch of arbitrarily-placed boxes but sometimes that's how people think: many things all at the same time. Forcing us to write only sequentially is fine in some cases but not in others. I usually use tables in my notes so I can jot down things covering different sublects.

 

Basically, we need to be able to type and scribble anywhere on the page, exactly as if it was a piece of paper, and we were using both a typewriter and a pen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi all,

 

As we think about handwriting capabilities and consider adding such features in the Evernote for iOS app, we wanted to get your feedback.

 

Specifically, we'd like to know how and when you would use handwriting, what situations would you switch from typing to handwriting, what kind of handwriting/sketching/etc. do you think you would do in the app? What feature expectations do you have for handwriting within Evernote? How would your usage differ between iPhone and iPad? How would you expect handwritten notes to behave in non-iOS Evernote clients?

 

I appreciate any thoughts you're willing to share on the this topic. This will help us prioritize and design features that are right for our users.

 

Please note: I've pinned "Request: Handwriting in Evernote for iOS" to the top of this forum and would appreciate feedback directly in that thread.

 

Thanks!

Chuck

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I use Evernote for my staff meeting and I would love the ability to use Apple Pencil or any other stylus to write directly into the notes or annotate something that is already there. Having to go to another screen and make a handwritten note that will not line up with what you are notating. Please make it so that we can type or handwrite into the same note on the same page! 

This is the only drawback to Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 3/11/2015 at 6:04 AM, Hoefi1976 said:

I think that handwriting MUST be integrated directly into Evernote. I use Evernote every day in meetings and use also a logitech keyboard for text input. But often I need also to draw something to the text or I need to highlight a text fast.

 

In Microsoft OneNote this is possible and this is a very useful feature. (I don't want to change from on app to another to to this!)

I want that feature too, so useful. It's a must to develop for Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 3/12/2015 at 8:35 AM, gazumped said:

Evernote bought Penultimate,  so presumably it (and Skitch) will be shoehorned together at some stage into one cohesive package.  They're two (or more) different systems written by separate teams however,  so melding them together probably isn't exactly easy.  And there may be some arguments against a full-on merge,  since some (many?) users won't need Penultimate's features regularly,  if ever,  and will complain mightily about valuable screen real-estate being given over to unused menus.  Movement on this doesn't seem likely in any short term...

Skitch is one of the baddest and primitive app I know, I always use Adobe Acrobat to annotate PDFs.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 8/25/2015 at 8:50 PM, cifip said:

Hi all,

 

As we think about handwriting capabilities and consider adding such features in the Evernote for iOS app, we wanted to get your feedback.

 

Specifically, we'd like to know how and when you would use handwriting, what situations would you switch from typing to handwriting, what kind of handwriting/sketching/etc. do you think you would do in the app? What feature expectations do you have for handwriting within Evernote? How would your usage differ between iPhone and iPad? How would you expect handwritten notes to behave in non-iOS Evernote clients?

 

I appreciate any thoughts you're willing to share on the this topic. This will help us prioritize and design features that are right for our users.

 

Please note: I've pinned "Request: Handwriting in Evernote for iOS" to the top of this forum and would appreciate feedback directly in that thread.

 

Thanks!

Chuck

 

I would like to use handwriting in Evernote as OneNote does, it is such a useful and must-have feature for Evernote. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I actually use GoodNotes to take handwritten notes for maths, science and classes I need to handwrite in. 

I used to upload the PDF to Dropbox, and then this IFTTT applet would automatically upload them to EN. You can check out one of my posts that goes into a little more detail about it here.

Now however, I use Workflow to add them to Evernote. I've made a share extension workflow, and I tap on the share menu on iOS after selecting my note, and then on 'Run Workflow'. I then tap on my GN to EN workflow and it's in Evernote. If anyone wants this workflow I can post a link :) 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2017-02-10 at 0:11 PM, S Ashmore said:

I would love the ability to use Apple Pencil or any other stylus to write directly into the notes or annotate something that is already therE

fwiw   My favourite app for notetaking on my iPad is Notability.  I store the native file as a EN Note Attachment, and convert to pdf format when completed

I have no problem switching to dedicated apps when I need more extensive features than the basic EN featureset

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2/10/2017 at 8:11 PM, S Ashmore said:

I use Evernote for my staff meeting and I would love the ability to use Apple Pencil or any other stylus to write directly into the notes or annotate something that is already there. Having to go to another screen and make a handwritten note that will not line up with what you are notating. Please make it so that we can type or handwrite into the same note on the same page! 

This is the only drawback to Evernote.

Evernote for iOS does actually allow you to write in notes: https://9to5mac.com/2015/11/04/evernote-ios-sketching-split-screen/

However, I don't know if this supports the pencil as I don't have a Pro. It does come in handy for quick equations and the like, but not for lengthy handwriting notes.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...