Evernote for Windowos does NOT push my changes :(

peterskouhus

Today I moved about 300 - 500 notes out of 5 - 7 notebooks and into one notebook. I also did a lot of tagging and retagging by selecting 300 - 500 notes at a time and then do a batch tag.

Now the changes I did on my Windows computer is not being pushed to Evernote. There are several inconsistencies, folders missing etc.

When, however, I add a new note on another device (MacBook) then the note is correctly pushed to cloud and downloaded on my Windows computer indicating to me that there is connection. Its only the changes on my Windows computer that are not pushed up. If I add a new note in Windows with a bit of text, then that note is also not pushed to Evernote.

1. Does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can do a 'forced' synchronization ?

2. Is it possible to backup my existing notes, if I loos my notes then I do not dear thinking about the consequences.

Any idea ?

with best regards

peter

Today I moved about 300 - 500 notes out of 5 - 7 notebooks and into one notebook. I also did a lot of tagging and retagging by selecting 300 - 500 notes at a time and then do a batch tag.

Now the changes I did on my Windows computer is not being pushed to Evernote. There are several inconsistencies, folders missing etc.

When, however, I add a new note on another device (MacBook) then the note is correctly pushed to cloud and downloaded on my Windows computer indicating to me that there is connection. Its only the changes on my Windows computer that are not pushed up. If I add a new note in Windows with a bit of text, then that note is also not pushed to Evernote.

1. Does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can do a 'forced' synchronization ?

2. Is it possible to backup my existing notes, if I loos my notes then I do not dear thinking about the consequences.

Any idea ?

with best regards

peter

IME, making massive changes can be problematic. I got to the point where I'd make changes in smaller batches & sync the smaller batch of changes. I'd suggest you keep syncing & monitor to see If they are gradually being changed on the Evernote servers by checking the web client. On the Windows desktop client, you can force a sync by clicking the sync button.

• Level 5*

Today I moved about 300 - 500 notes out of 5 - 7 notebooks and into one notebook. I also did a lot of tagging and retagging by selecting 300 - 500 notes at a time and then do a batch tag.

Any idea ?

with best regards

peter

Sorry to hear you're having such major sync problems, Peter.  Unfortunately, Evernote seems to be having a lot of sync issues across the board.

If by "forced sync" you mean manual sync, then yes, just click on the circular arrow icon in the top left area of your toolbar.  There should also be a "Sync" menu item in your EN menu, I think under the "File" menu.

I don't have any silver bullets for you, but you might try these diagnostic steps:

1. Sign out of EN Win, restart your PC, and sign back in to EN Win
  2. Review your EN Activity Log to see if it mentions any sync issues and/or problems with a specific Note
    1. I have seen cases where one bad note seemed to clog up the sync process
  3. Do any of your Tags have special characters like @ or # ?
    1. Evernote sometimes has problems handling these
  4. Compare your EN Win Notes and Note count with EN Web (at Evernote.com)
    1. See if anything obvious jumps out at you
    2. Compare note count on a Notebook basis

If your sync issues are not resolved soon, then you may want to Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

If you're not a Premium account owner, it may be worth the $5 to upgrade to Premium for one month just to get Evernote full support, including EN Support  Chat.

Here's a short list of Backup options:

1. Copy the EN Win backup folder to another location
  2. Export your Notes to ENEX files (One per Notebook)
  3. Use a Windows-based backup system
  4. Use a cloud-based backup system like CrashPlan
  5. Use an online based backup system like Revert.io

(backup source is your account in the Evernote Cloud Service, not local)

Do a google on "Evernote backup" for more options and details.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dear all;

Thank you very much for your help in resolving this problem. I have of course contacted Evernote, being a premium user, but they have not replied as of yet.

Went ahead and did everything suggested, all to no avail, allow me to outline:

1. I backed up my Evernote database, locked out of Evernote and restart Windows. Up on logging in again I try to synchronize, but it did not solve the problem.

2. I checked the note count, on Evernote Web there are 3256 whereas in Evernote Windows there are 3365 notes. That is scary, because it basically means that whatever I at in Windows is not pushed to the Evernote cloud.

3. I checked the log file, if you look at the following screenshot upload to screencast  you can see what it contains. It does not reveal anything suspicious to me, then again I'm not an expert, maybe it makes sense to some of you :-):  http://screencast.com/t/93YejarYh4me

Conclusion: when I add a note in my MacBook it get pushed to Evernote cloud and downloaded into my Windows computer. That works, so there is connection, when I add anything in Windows it does not get uploaded.

I love Evernote but small errors like these makes me not want to implement it companywide. It scares me.

Note:

1. I'm a premium member, and I have submitted a request to support but as of yet I've not heard anything.

2. I use Windows 8.1 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

With best regards

Peter

• Level 5*

I use Windows 8.1 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

Sorry to say, but that may well be the source of your issues.

I've seen many issues reported by Win8.1 and SP3 users that other Windows users (like Win7) are not seeing.

Hmm OK in my book they should then have been resolved by now, its not like Windows 8.1 just came out yesterday.

This is not the first problem I have had with Windows, last time I had a problem where Evernote let me create more then 250 notebooks but it did not synchronize them, and this, without a warning (today I understand to use tags instead of notebooks)...but still

What the heck does one do now? Drop Evernote? get a new computer or what?

• Level 5*

Well, I'm getting considerably off-topic here, but IMO Win 8.x is much like Win Vista -- not ready for prime time.

Maybe the new Win 10 will cure all ills -- I hope so for those of you stuck on Win8.   Me, I'm sticking with Win7.

I did see where Evernote is redesigning a new ver just for Win8/SP3.  Maybe that will help.

Good luck!

So,I think I resolve the problem, this is what I did

1. I created one new folder called test

2. I moved all the notes from the folder I expect gave the problem

3. I then went on to delete the old folder

4. Finally i renamed test to the same name as the folder i suspected gave the problem.

Now everything is in sync.

I am of course happy that everything is in sync, but a bit shocked that something as simple as the name of a folder can "***** up" Evernote.

Again thank you very much for your help and if ever something like this happens to you, try to  create a new folder and move all your notes there and then delete the old one. This, you can of course only do if you have suspicion of which folder is giving the problem. So is not a complete solution.

Archived