Automatic Forwarding rule from Outlook

Rcarter

Idea

I know that you can email directly to EN using your EN email as well as @ and # to assign it to notebooks and tags, but currently the only way I can do this is to have quick step in my outlook that I manually apply to each individual email that I receive.

I would like to have an auto-rule that automatically forwards certain e-mails to a specific evernote folder.

Maybe this is something for an outlook forum.  

I looked into evernote filing but I couldn't figure it out.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  What's your OS?  I can imagine some Outlook rules that would send emails fitting certain criteria - sender=J Smith forinstance - to your Evernote address,  but you won't be able to edit the subject line or assign notebooks or tags. IFTTT (apparently) has some Outlook recipes - https://ifttt.com/recipes/213337-outlook - and can assign notebooks and tags.  Somewhere between the two you may be able to find or create something that will do the job...

• Level 5*

I know that you can email directly to EN using your EN email as well as @ and # to assign it to notebooks and tags, but currently the only way I can do this is to have quick step in my outlook that I manually apply to each individual email that I receive.

I would like to have an auto-rule that automatically forwards certain e-mails to a specific evernote folder.

Maybe this is something for an outlook forum.  

I looked into evernote filing but I couldn't figure it out.

In order to add the EN Notebook (which I assume you mean by "evernote folder") to the Subject line you will probably need some type of script, like the Outlook VBA macros for Windows, and AppleScript for Mac.

Let us know which OS and Outlook version you are using and we can provide more details.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and outlook 2013.

I figured a out a trick using inqloud.net.  It costs $1.99 a month but it works really well.  Inqloud creates and email address that is specific to each evernote folder.  I then went into  my outlook and created a rule that would automatically forward any emails with a certain subject line to the evernote email address that inqloud gives me.

It wasn't too hard to figure out and you can even customize the email a little bit using aliases.

You need a google account to use inqloud because it creates a contact in your gmail for every evernote folder you have.  

If you have any questions let me know but it's been really helpful for our company.

Now anytime a technician sends a PO request he sends it to that department they automatically get added to evernote.

• Level 5*

@Rcarter:

Nice solution.  I had not heard of inqloud.net.  Thanks for sharing.

For any Mac users that are lurking out there, I have been able to develop some Keyboard Maestro macros that work really well for forwarding subject-specific emails to Evernote.  If anyone would like details, please post here or PM me.

I would be interested in details regarding this workflow.

tms

@Rcarter:

Nice solution.  I had not heard of inqloud.net.  Thanks for sharing.

For any Mac users that are lurking out there, I have been able to develop some Keyboard Maestro macros that work really well for forwarding subject-specific emails to Evernote.  If anyone would like details, please post here or PM me.

• Level 5*

tms

Are you asking for a KM macro that will forward Outlook email to Evernote?

If not, please clarify what workflow you are interested in.

tms

Are you asking for a KM macro that will forward Outlook email to Evernote?

If not, please clarify what workflow you are interested in.

Perhaps if I describe my workflow issue, a solution with reveal itself. My email address is an old hotmail address. I usually access this through outlook.com. As opposed to seeing emails and forwarding them to my EN account, using Textexpander to add notebooks and tags - all "by hand"; I would like to drag and drop emails into folders within the web client. Ideally, these folders could be set up to send any message that has been dropped into that folder to EN. My "dream" would continue in such a way to add the appropriate tags and notebooks automatically. There are only a handful of workflows that would require this much detail. Finally, the message is then sent to the (email) archive folder.

I am not opposed to using a mac email client but this would hinder my workflow at work, as we utilize PC.

Thanks for any suggestions!

tms

• Level 5*

I am not opposed to using a mac email client but this would hinder my workflow at work, as we utilize PC.

ALL of my automations (Keyboard Maestro, AppleScript) work ONLY on the Mac, and are specifically for Outlook 2011 Mac.  I doubt they would work with Outlook.com.

So if you need a PC solution, my stuff would not be of any help.  Neither KM nor AppleScript have a Windows version.

But I will post my KM macro for Outlook 2011 Mac over the day or so -- I need to clean it up a bit, and provide some documentation.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Level 5*

@tmsmd1976

You might want to have a look at these - 

AHK      - http://www.autohotkey.com/

IFTTT   - https://ifttt.com/

Zapier   - https://zapier.com/help/evernote/

Or have a search around for Evernote integration tools...  I don't know of anything specific for your needs,  but with a little ingenuity (and some lateral thinking - what if you forwarded all your Hotmail mails to Gmail?) you may be able to hang something together.  Good luck..

ALL of my automations (Keyboard Maestro, AppleScript) work ONLY on the Mac, and are specifically for Outlook 2011 Mac.  I doubt they would work with Outlook.com.

So if you need a PC solution, my stuff would not be of any help.  Neither KM nor AppleScript have a Windows version.

But I will post my KM macro for Outlook 2011 Mac over the day or so -- I need to clean it up a bit, and provide some documentation.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mac OS and iOS are my preferred platforms. I have an iMac at home that runs all day; which can run any Mac-based automations. I appreciate any recommendations and input. I don't have much experience with automations (i.e. Applescript, KM, Alfred, IFTTT, Zapier, et cetera) but I plan to learn to implement these soon. Just not sure where to start to learn.

Thanks.

tms

Archived