Set default preference to "View as Attachment"

alex van

Idea

Currently the default is view inline, but I always use "view as attachment" mode for things like PDF or Excel documents.  I absolutely love evernote and have been using it for years.  This small feature would be very helpful. Thanks ~alex

• Thanks 1

18 replies to this idea

In the previous version of Evernote, under the Tools menu, there was an Options page with many many settings we could use.  One of those was "always show pdf documents as attachments."  With the latest version ALL of the optional settings are gone.  Many other features are gone, also.  So... in the Windows version of the program (not the browser-based one)...

• How do we make "View as attachment" the default?
  • How do we force a Sync?  I go back and forth between two computers, and I need to know if they are in sync.
  • How do we search within the currently viewed notebook?  (not the entire database, and not just the current note)
  • How do we delete a notebook?

If you have any answers, I would be so appreciative.

Thank you...    Art Lieberman

• Like 4

I am upset that all of my previously viewable / readable notes are now back to showing PDFs inline making a majority of my notes tedious to view and/or find things.  Please bring back the option to view ALL attachments (including and most importantly PDFs) as just that -- ATTACHMENTS!

• Like 5

I was so excited by the reintroduction of the option to define the default view of a pdf attachment. Sadly this is not as universal as I had thought. There are numerous ways of adding a pdf to a note - many of which ignore the defined preference. Here's a selection:

• Drag pdf into the note - respects preference
  • Add attachement using the blue + on the toolbar -  respects preference
  • Use "send to" from a pdf file in windows explorer - ignores preference
  • Add pdf using webclipper - ignores preference
  • Using import folder - populates the snippet including the thumbnail and the title but doesn't display the pdf in the note al all! The size of the note in note info suggests it is there so maybe it will show itself at some stage. It is not visible on the web version either

image.thumb.png.2319f8477b10511415482d8ddbc94e7c.png

UPDATE - the only way I have found so far of forcing the pdf to show itself is exporting the note and then reimporting it. 

• Like 3

this is an

On 8/18/2016 at 5:03 PM, dubnote said:

Yes, and everytime I take an Evernote Update the darned thing will revert random notes to view Inline where they previously were attachments.

Ridiculous

Yep, this is ridiculous and its amazing how after years of requests Evernote has still not built this feature in. I still use Evernote sparingly but have moved much of my workflow across to Devonthink for this very reason. 

Agreed @ArtLieberman. The new version is terrible. It's lost all optional settings and prior personal settings made have been reset.

You can't add new co-workers to older notebooks.

Switching between Personal and Work Accounts now requires a complete restart of Evernote.

You also can't add words to the dictionary anymore (which distracts readers on screensharing).  

Our company is trying to move to a new platform due to the difficulties with the update. 

Agreed @ArtLieberman. The new version is terrible. It's lost all optional settings and prior personal settings made have been reset.

You can't add new co-workers to older notebooks.

Switching between Personal and Work Accounts now requires a complete restart of Evernote.

You also can't add words to the dictionary anymore (which distracts readers on screensharing).  

Our company is trying to move to a new platform due to the difficulties with the update. 

I have about 50 attachments per some notes. There was an option to always add as attachment. With this new version they all expanded to in line view and the option is gone. I can't possibly right click on each attachment to fold it, this is insane. BRING THE OPTION BACK!

Even if I do so, the new update will make those inline again, 100% sure of it.

• Thanks 1

Evernote started "re-writing" their app and lost quite a few of features. I have no idea when they are going to re-introduce those, but it is obvious some features should have been retained, i.e. ported right away.