How to stop Evernote making desktop shortcuts ?

Lowlander

• Level 5*

It sounds as though you're starting Evernote from the installation file rather than from the installed executable (that's what the shortcut is for).  In Windows 7 try typing "ever" in the search box of the start icon.  In Win 8,  tap the windows key and just type "ever".  In both cases you should see an installed version of Evernote which will start the software without reinstalling it.

Thanks for the suggestion but this is not the case. The icon does not reappear at every startup. It only appears after a patch. Today I started Evernote and got the message it's configuring 5.8.3 and there is the shortcut on my desktop again.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Well,  no way AFAIK to opt out of the installation icon (in any update Evernote effectively uninstalls the old,  and replaces with the new).  Ironically I think they made the new icon process more robust,  but users were complaining that their old icon disappeared and wasn't replaced...

Workaround for the moment?  Select icon > Delete....

Hmmn.  Well,  no way AFAIK to opt out of the installation icon (in any update Evernote effectively uninstalls the old,  and replaces with the new).  Ironically I think they made the new icon process more robust,  but users were complaining that their old icon disappeared and wasn't replaced...

Workaround for the moment?  Select icon > Delete....

Yep, that's what I do :)

Archived