New Notes Always open behind other windows

Hi - I did a couple searches, and found nothing about anyone else having this problem.  I have Evernote setup so that the note panel is not viewed in the primary window.  Every time I create a new note it opens in the background of every other window that I have open.

Any suggestions to solve this?  Much appreciated.

• Level 5*

If you press the global shortcut key to create a new Note, Evernote should open that note in a new window on top of everything else.

You can set this shortcut key in Preferences (Mac) or Options (Win).

Does this work for you?

JMichael - Are you refering to the shortcut using "Ctrl + Alt + N" to open a new note?  If so I get the same result, new note opens behind all the other windows.  That was my first attempt to solve the problem.  Thanks though!

• Level 5*

JMichael - Are you refering to the shortcut using "Ctrl + Alt + N" to open a new note?  If so I get the same result, new note opens behind all the other windows.  That was my first attempt to solve the problem.  Thanks though!

On my current machine (Win 7), Ctrl+Alt+N opens a new note in a window that's above other windows.

• Level 5*

Mine works the same as Jeff's.  Out of interest, if you set it up so that note panel does appear in the primary window will the shortcut work then?  That is a difference....  If it does work then you might consider a trouble ticket to determine if this is a specific design consideration or a bug. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

I'm having the same issue.

Windows 10. Doesn't matter if I hit CTRL+N; CTRL+ALT+N or the "New Note" button - they always open out of focus and I have to go and find them.

I know it's a niggly problem, but when you're in the flow of brainstorming and typing, it's a pain to go and find the window every time.

One workaround:

Tools > Options > Note > untick "Create new notes in a new window"

I'm not going to do this, as I want to open several notes at once and keep them open, but it is one way to start typing without having to go and find the window.

• Ex Employees

Try these steps. 

1. Tools > Options > Note > and uncheck   "Create new notes in a new window"
  2. File>Exit
  3. Open  Evernote
  4. Tools > Options > Note > and check  "Create new notes in a new window"

Let us know if the issue continues. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/20/2016 at 4:22 PM, Austin G said:

Try these steps. 

2. File>Exit
  3. Open  Evernote

This worked for me, thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ha, yes, thanks Austin, that worked for me second time I tried it.

First time it did nothing - then later I found that Evernote had not really exited. A warning dialog about losing clipping functionality had popped up when I first tried to exit... but I didn't see this because it appeared behind all my other windows!

Second time I searched this out & gave it the OK. Restarted EN and problem gone. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 7:22 PM, Austin G said:

Try these steps. 

2. File>Exit
  3. Open  Evernote

Nice.  Fixed it for me.

• 3 months later...

On 10/20/2016 at 7:22 PM, Austin G said:

Try these steps. 

2. File>Exit
  3. Open  Evernote

I've tried this (I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling) and I'm still getting this issue.

• 7 months later...
On 1/8/2018 at 12:06 PM, bnkeane said:

I tried the fix above on the current version of evernote and I still have the issue.  Has something changed in a recent release?

I was able to get this working, but instead of File>Exit, I had to restart my computer (Win+X+U+R)

Archived