Notes count question

fredhammersmith

• Level 5

10,477 on the web client

10,477 on the iPhone

But an additional 180 or so on the desktop and laptop.

The count does not include notes in the trash.

Can't comment on joined notebooks - I don't use joined notebooks due to problems with tags.

Do you have any local (non-sync'd) notebooks?

Notes in a local noteboook are only view-able on a desktop or laptop. 

• Level 5

I will review all 240 notebooks to make sure I do not have any local notebooks made by mistake.

Evernote should have some way of filtering notebooks, between local, joined and synched notebooks.

Yes, that is tedious. but you do make an excellent point! 

The local notebooks used to be easily located just by looking at the icon.

I have no idea why they removed such a helpful visual tool.

A bit discouraged by the task.

For instance, my general notebook (where everything falls when i don't have the time for classification and tagging): 692 notes on the web interface, 699 on the Windows client.

Now how can I found the fautive notes without spending 3 or 4 hours comparing the listing?

I found 4 other faulty notebooks (typically big ones), then I stopped. Is there any third-patry application, or any smart way to track the differences between platforms?

• Level 5*

A bit discouraged by the task.

For instance, my general notebook (where everything falls when i don't have the time for classification and tagging): 692 notes on the web interface, 699 on the Windows client.

Now how can I found the fautive notes without spending 3 or 4 hours comparing the listing?

I found 4 other faulty notebooks (typically big ones), then I stopped. Is there any third-patry application, or any smart way to track the differences between platforms?

Here's a crazy, but perhaps usefulf, idea.

In the EN Web client,

1. create a new Notebook, I'll call it "InboxWeb"
  2. Sync.
  3. Now move all of the Notes in the "Inbox" to "InboxWeb"
  4. Sync.

In EN Win

1. Sync
  2. Goto to the "Inbox" Notebook, and see if there are any Notes
  3. If there is any, these are likely the Notes that haven't sync'd.
    1. Create a new Notebook "ProblemNotes"
    2. Sync
    3. Move these Notes from "Inbox" to "ProblemNotes"
    4. Inspect each Note to see if you can identify any issues.
    5. Your EN Win "Inbox" should now be empty.
    6. Sync
  4. Move the Notes in "InboxWeb" back into "Inbox" (or wherever you'd like).
    1. You might consider leaving the Notes in "InboxWeb" and as you have time, classify and move them to the appropriate Notebook (like you normally do with "Inbox")
  5. Sync

Don't know that this will response your issue, but it might.

Please review the process carefully before you use it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Level 5*

Easy.  Don't use the BETA web interface.  Go back to the original.

OK, maybe not so easy.

I rarely use the EN Web client, and just checked it out.

Hard to believe, but after selecting a Notebook, I don't see any way of selecting all Notes quickly:

• CMD-A doesn't work
  • Click, and then Shift-Click on last note DOESN'T WORK !?!?!?!?!
  • Right-click on Notebook in left panel doesn't offer a move

So, a bit painful, but you will have to click on the first note in the list, then do a CMD-click on each and every other note in the list.

Unless I've missed something.  Maybe one of the Web client wizards will show us a hidden way.   ;)

If you change your note list view to List View (View > List View or Ctrl + F5) you can then sort your note list by sync status. Notes in that haven't been updated with the service (and don't live in Local Notebooks) will have a dot in the "Sync" column (example).

We hear you. 

• Level 5*

Justin, I hope that means you guys (EN developers) are at least considering making Local Notebooks very easy to identify visually?

We hear you. 

• Level 5*

Justin, I hope that means you guys (EN developers) are at least considering making Local Notebooks very easy to identify visually?

Definitely :).

GREAT!!!!   Please make sure that is applied across ALL platforms.  Please!

Back on OP, I tried the listing/sorting by sync status.

My Inbox notebook shows 711 notes on the Windows client, 704 on the web client.

But there is no note marked "Not synched" in Windows.

So, obviously, something is wrong there again.

Any new ideas?

I'll try to divide my Inbox notebook into many notebooks, divided by dates, in the meantime, but any new idea would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

Interesting - would it be practical to set up a new inbox notebook "inbox2" and move notes from the current notebook to the new one say 100 at a time,  syncing and checking the totals as you go?

Yes I did something of the sort.

I have very close to 250 notebooks. When I spotted discrepancies between notes' counts clients (Windows vs Web), I splitted the notebook until I found the troublemakers.

Now I have been at it for the last 4 hours and arranged everything. I am about sure each and every notebook has the same note counts on each client.

BUT:

totals remain widely different.

WINDOWS CLIENT: 10 726

WEB CLIENT: 10 550

Only logical conclusion: the clients do not calculate their totals the same way.

And somebody at Evernote must know about this!

• Level 5*

@redhammersmith:  So let me make sure I understand your last post.

Are you saying that ALL of the counts by Notebook agree between EN Win and EN Web?

If so, since the EN Win count is higher by 176 notes, it suggests to me something different/wrong with EN Win.

I think we've covered this, but to state the obvious:

• Make sure you don't have any Local Notebooks in EN Win
  • Make sure you have emptied the EN Trash in EN Win, and SYNC

Since the count on your iPhone is the same as on the Web, this confirms (to me) that the issue is with EN Win.

So, I suggest that you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Thanks Justin. That's a handy tip and I've duly Evernoted it!

I hope you won't mind if I take this opportunity to to echo previous requests for visually easier ways to differeniate between the various types of Notebooks. I means to do so in a way that tells User at glance, exactly what type it, whether with the use if icons or color, or both. And I mean in a way that is consistent across all platforms (clients). As in a way to tell if a Notebook is:

* One you Shared

* One you Joined

* One you have allocated as a Local, offline Notebook on both the desktop and the mobile clients

Sorry about going a bit off topic, but it seemed like a good way to maybe get some direct feedback from the Dev Team.

@redhammersmith:  So let me make sure I understand your last post.

Are you saying that ALL of the counts by Notebook agree between EN Win and EN Web?

If so, since the EN Win count is higher by 176 notes, it suggests to me something different/wrong with EN Win.

I think we've covered this, but to state the obvious:

• Make sure you don't have any Local Notebooks in EN Win
  • Make sure you have emptied the EN Trash in EN Win, and SYNC

Since the count on your iPhone is the same as on the Web, this confirms (to me) that the issue is with EN Win.

So, I suggest that you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Done.

Will report back.

And they found the clue to my problem.

And I discovered a small feature I never noticed before.

If you hover over the Notes tree node in Windows client, you'll see, in a little pop-up window, a breakdown of personal notes and shared notes. This number, the personal notes number, is the one that will appear as the total note count in the web client and the iOs client.

And they (almost) match. I mean: one note difference. I won't hunt this one.

Still, I had to do a thorough cleanup in the process, as explained before, but at the end of the day, good support from the people at EN.

Thanks all.

i-rRsVxkx.jpg

• Level 5*

Wow!  That's a cool tip.  But I don't understand why Evernote likes to hide stuff like this.

I see a similar popup when I hover over the Notes icon in EN Mac, but I've never seen it before, because I have no reason to hover there!

They seem to be playing the computer easter egg game.   :(

What is curious and confusing, is why don't they show this popup where I'm more likely to see it -- over the "All Notes" button/dropdown at the top of the Note list.

• Level 5*

I have all of my synced notebooks in a stack and fortunately the stack total on my PC equals the hover total.  Unfortunately, on the web the note total next to all notes is five less and the note total at the bottom of the web snippet view is one less.  So I have 3 different totals.  Not the hugest issue in the world, but geez, one would think all the totals would match, especially the two on the web.  Just sayin....

I've had this happen before and I end up with a note in a synced notebook on the PC which has not made it to the servers for whatever reason.  Again, not a biggie for me other than history since I do all my work on the PC and I trust that total.

Archived