Evernote 2.2.1.386 "invalid database file": any repair ability?

rjspencer

Hello! I was saving small screen clip to my Evernote DB, the USB drive was jostled, and now I can't open my database file. I'm using Evernote 2.2.1.386 (old, I know, but it means I can keep my client information on a thumbdrive under my control, rather than out in the cloud). When I try to open the database, I get: "Can't open database "(path and name of .enb file)", error: Invalid database file". The most recent backup is not nearly current enough (yeah, another issue).

Are there any tools to repair or recover my data? Thanks in advance!

Hello! I was saving small screen clip to my Evernote DB, the USB drive was jostled, and now I can't open my database file. I'm using Evernote 2.2.1.386 (old, I know, but it means I can keep my client information on a thumbdrive under my control, rather than out in the cloud). When I try to open the database, I get: "Can't open database "(path and name of .enb file)", error: Invalid database file". The most recent backup is not nearly current enough (yeah, another issue).

Since EN Windows 2.x has not been supported for many years, it's doubtful anyone here could help you.  You may either need to consider it a life lesson (and stay current with your backups) or utilize a file recovery tool, which may or may not work.  Good luck.

• Level 5

Please try ENRepair tool, it may help: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12760413/ENRepair.exe

EverBase Repair utility v1.07, built on Nov 20 2007 12:25:21Copyright (c) 2003-2007 EverNote Corp. All rights reserved.Usage: ENRepair <sourcefile> [targetFile] [options]      /f - fix corrupted base      /l - fix invalid links      /v - verbose mode, provide detailed output      /? - show this help text
Example:

ENRepair MyDatabase.enb /f /l

Keep running it until it says database is clean. It usually takes three four turns to clean up everything,
however in some tough cases it may take more.

/Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Please try ENRepair tool, it may help: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12760413/ENRepair.exe

EverBase Repair utility v1.07, built on Nov 20 2007 12:25:21
Copyright © 2003-2007 EverNote Corp. All rights reserved.

Usage: ENRepair <sourcefile> [targetFile] [options]

/f - fix corrupted base
      /l - fix invalid links
      /v - verbose mode, provide detailed output
      /? - show this help text

Example:

ENRepair MyDatabase.enb /f /l

Keep running it until it says database is clean. It usually takes three four turns to clean up everything,
however in some tough cases it may take more.

/Peter

Hello Peter -

my question relates to the same version of EN (as the OP) and I'm in a similar situation - accidentally I let the local DB grow too big and and on attempting to re-open it received the message: "Can't open database xyz, error: Can't map file view. There is not enough memory to complete the operation. Please select smaller number of items and try again."

I downloaded and ran the ENRepair tool as you recommended above with parameters /f /l and it appears the DB does not contain any data errors.

Is there any means to split, import, synchronize, or extract the data from such an old db which has got too big to open without having to upload it to EN's cloud service?

The only available backup unfortunately also got corrupted whilst trying to open it and collapsed the content from 750mb down to 256kb... :(

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5

777 --

If you are running 64 bit version of Windows, you can treat EverNote 2.x program file EverNote.exe file with EN2GBPatch.exe utility available here -- this will double the memory address space available to EverNote process allowing you to use larger databases.

The command line is: EN2GBPatch -x EverNote.exe

Note that -x command line option toggles the Large Address Aware flag, so make sure you only use it once to enable large address awareness. Running the utility without this option displays the current large address awareness state of the specified executable file.

EN2GBPatch v1.00, built on Mar  3 2015 22:32:23Copyright (c) 2005-2015 Evernote Corp. All rights reserved.Usage: EN2GBPatch [options] <exefile>       /x - toggle Large Address Aware flag       /? - show this help text

Hope this helps,

/Peter

777 --

If you are running 64 bit version of Windows, you can treat EverNote 2.x program file EverNote.exe file with EN2GBPatch.exe utility available here -- this will double the memory address space available to EverNote process allowing you to use larger databases.

Note that -x command line option toggles the Large Address Aware flag, so make sure you only use it once to enable large address awareness. Running the utility without this option displays the current large address awareness state of the specified executable file.

EN2GBPatch v1.00, built on Mar  3 2015 22:32:23Copyright (c) 2005-2015 Evernote Corp. All rights reserved.Usage: EN2GBPatch [options] <exefile>       /x - toggle Large Address Aware flag       /? - show this help text

Hope this helps,

/Peter

Peter,

Thanks very much

I'm still on a 32bit Win OS - does the EN2GBPatch work on that as well? Or is there an alternative patch-utility available?

Thanks again

• Level 5*

Peter can verify this for sure, but I believe that the answer is "yes"; I think that you need to set the /3GB switch on WIndows, and you won't get double the memory available to you (which would be 4GB; I think that you get 3GB instead): 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613959%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

• Level 5

777 -

I'm still on a 32bit Win OS - does the EN2GBPatch work on that as well? Or is there an alternative patch-utility available?

If you are on 32 bit OS you can try that /3GB trick during Windows boot, but that's not exactly safe because it can affect other apps... I did not try it myself.

Alternatively, I can dig out and revive an old utility that would convert EverNote 2.x database into a modern Evernote database or .enex file. It's very rusty, will need some work to get up to date.

• Level 5

Peter can verify this for sure, but I believe that the answer is "yes"; I think that you need to set the /3GB switch on WIndows, and you won't get double the memory available to you (which would be 4GB; I think that you get 3GB instead): 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613959%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

/3GB is for 32bit systems only. When 32bit app with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE bit set is running on a 63bit system, it is allowed to allocate almost 4GB of memory. Which is exactly what EverNote 2.x needs when it runs out of available address space when trying to map the large database file into memory.

See more details here.

• Level 5*

/3GB is for 32bit systems only.

Yep. I mentioned it only because he said he was running on a 32-bit OS.

Nice customer service, by the way...

Peter & jefito - thanks ever so much, finally got it to work combining the /3GB switch with Peter's patch utility!

According to the previous post I thought the patch - DOS syntax were: EN2GBPatch [options] <exefile>  - however it worked with EN2GBPatch <exefile> [options]

777 --

Hope this helps,

/Peter

Peter -

thanks for your advice &

Finally - is there:

1. a duplicate finder utility or patch - to find duplicate entries in a database
  2. a compare application or utility - to be able to compare 2 similar versions of databases (e.g. old vs new)

available for EN 2.x db / applications?

Thanks

• Level 5

777 --

Glad you got it working!  [options] <exefile> can indeed come it any order.

There are no duplicated notes finder or compare utilities available for EN 2.x or later versions, to the best of my knowledge, sorry. In modern versions of Evernote you can sort notes by title and check if there are any duplicates. Alternatively, you can export notes into .ENEX file and use XML comparison tools.

/Peter

• 4 months later...

777 --

Hope this helps,

/Peter

Peter, thank you very much for such helpful information!!

One small question: are there any limits for EN 2.x database running in the "Large Addree Aware" mode?

Without this option I observed memory problems when the database size exceeds 1.2-1.5 GB.

Archived