Accidentally hit escape. Note gone.

Hello!

I created a new document. I did not create a title for it. After a couple of hours making notes, I accidentally hit escape on my bluetooth keyboard. It closed the document, but said it was "saving to First Notebook". Prior to this, I did not manually save or leave the document. However, it appears to not have been saved. It is nowhere to be seen. I have looked in the trash. Nothing there. I have looked in the First Notebook. Nothing there.

I have tried to recreate what happened several times. Every single time, the document is saved. Thus, I am clueless as to what has happened. 

Would anyone have an idea as to what has happened, and how I could retrieve my document?

Thank you.

• Level 5*

I don't know whether the 'saving...' message came from Evernote,  but unless you have a notebook called "First Notebook" it seems unlikely. AFAIK that's not a standard Evernote message.  Do you have any other note-taking apps on your device?  Is it possible the note will be stored there?

To rule out Evernote completely,  please sync your phone manually,  then go to Evernote.com on a desktop computer,  and sign in to your account.  If you don't see the note online,  it was never saved to the server,  so Evernote won't have any part of it stored and available to retrieve.

The lesson is:  when working on a long note,  consider drafting in a word-processor that supports saving on the device itself,  and save frequently.  Save / copy~paste the work to Evernote when you have finished

I don't know whether the 'saving...' message came from Evernote,  but unless you have a notebook called "First Notebook" it seems unlikely. AFAIK that's not a standard Evernote message.  Do you have any other note-taking apps on your device?  Is it possible the note will be stored there?

To rule out Evernote completely,  please sync your phone manually,  then go to Evernote.com on a desktop computer,  and sign in to your account.  If you don't see the note online,  it was never saved to the server,  so Evernote won't have any part of it stored and available to retrieve.

The lesson is:  when working on a long note,  consider drafting in a word-processor that supports saving on the device itself,  and save frequently.  Save / copy~paste the work to Evernote when you have finished

I do have a notebook called First Notebook (by default). It definitely came from Evernote, as it shows up every single time I recreate it (by hitting esc). I have synced my tablet, I have signed in to Evernote.com on a dekstop computer, and it has definitely not been saved to the server. This seems weird to me. Perhaps my network connection fell out for a minute as I hit esc? 

But the lesson is definitely learned.

Hi. Save and Sync are two different functions. Save is useful if you're spending more than a minute or two working on a Note in Android. Maybe even for less time if you type really fast on a small, virtual keyboard!

Save is useful if, for example, your Droid is also a phone. If there's a chance you'll be interuppted by an incoming call while making or editing a Note, then Save is very handy as every few lines you can use the Save function every few lines and/or minutes, and it will Save the latest Note Version to your client (devive), but it will NOT Sync it up to the Evernote Servers.

The copy saved to your device cache drive is handy as you can talk on the phone or work in other apps during the same session. When you return to Evernote to complete that Note, you may find it's been closed and "filed" under whatever Notebook you assigned it to. If you haven't yet assigned it to a specific Notebook, then it should be at the top of your Default one.

Locate and pull it up, then continue editing the Note until you're satisfied wth it. Include a Title and Tags if desired, "move" it to the correct Notebook, and manually Sync it UP the EN Servers. When next using Evernote from [any] device, manually Sync DOWN from the Evernote Servers and when ending the session - again, from any device - **manually** Sync UP the EN Servers.

Oh, and never try editing a Note from more that one device at a time.

Cheers!

Hello!

I created a new document. I did not create a title for it. After a couple of hours making notes, I accidentally hit escape on my bluetooth keyboard. It closed the document, but said it was "saving to First Notebook". Prior to this, I did not manually save or leave the document. However, it appears to not have been saved. It is nowhere to be seen. I have looked in the trash. Nothing there. I have looked in the First Notebook. Nothing there.

I have tried to recreate what happened several times. Every single time, the document is saved. Thus, I am clueless as to what has happened. 

Would anyone have an idea as to what has happened, and how I could retrieve my document?

Thank you.

Very familiar! :D I've done it several times. However, I learned my lesson. Save, save and save again. Prevention is the solution. ;)

Archived