Crashplan and Links

Wordsgood

Edited: February 17, 2015

I have send a modified and cleaned up version of this post via a PM to GBarry and Charboyd. Hopefully, they can help. I'll report back if I get any good news.

Hoping Grumpymonkey will see this, but all responses are welcome.

I contacted Crashplan's Support to ask if clickable Links saved in Evernote would be preserved if I should subscribe to their services and need to avail myself of any back-ups I stored with them. I clarified that I use the Android and Windows EN apps, and that I meant weblinks, internal links and hyperlinks from one Note to another, and those linked to external programs (such as a Word document - if that feature still works?) - as well as text links like you would use in a TOC.

The tech who responded said that a recent Evernote update had corrected the problem with clickable links not being retained in ENEX or HTML back-ups - IF you put a space after the URL - and referenced this forum as his source. Then he said that as far as he knew, any links in Notes I backed up with Crashplan should be preserved as clickable, regardless of whether that's true or not.

This is the forum thread the tech referenced:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33785-clickable-web-links/

I'll be honest here. I'm still not clear if clickable links are preserved in any back-ups one might make on their own, with or without a space. I'm not sure why I got what seems to be a vague reply about Crashplan's ability to preserve them. This is where my tech savvy ends and my eyes glaze over.

Does anyone have any experience actually using EN back-up stored with Crashplan? Back-ups with links, I mean. If so, were the links clickable after retrieval? And did you need to leave a space after each one? Plus, would a new line count as a space?

So tired. So confused. And still PO'd about Diigo... (Yes, I'm fully aware that I sound like a newbie. And a whiney one at that.

• Level 5*

i wish i knew the answer, but this is beyond me. as far as i understand it, crashplan just saves your data, and they aren't really involved in anything after that, so if evernote makes a mistake somewhere and introduces a bug breaking links in the app or in the exported .enex or .html files, it is out of their hands.

basically, if you can't get links to work in the exported .html files, then crashplan won't be able to get them to work either. and, if they do work, crashplan ought to preserve them fine. in the end, the best thing to do would be to test it yourself, i think. both services (evernote and crashplan) are free, so you have nothing to lose.

Ah well, thanks anyway Grumpy! I'm going to try one last thing and contact GBarry and Charboyd through a PM.

i wish i knew the answer, but this is beyond me. as far as i understand it, crashplan just saves your data, and they aren't really involved in anything after that, so if evernote makes a mistake somewhere and introduces a bug breaking links in the app or in the exported .enex or .html files, it is out of their hands.

basically, if you can't get links to work in the exported .html files, then crashplan won't be able to get them to work either. and, if they do work, crashplan ought to preserve them fine. in the end, the best thing to do would be to test it yourself, i think. both services (evernote and crashplan) are free, so you have nothing to lose.

Argh, I tried again with CrashPlans tech support and got another vague answer pointing me to one of their knowledge base articles that still doesn't answer my question. At least not that I can decipher! I wish tech companies would understand that for many of us, tech babble really does need to be tranlated to normal language! Ah well, I suppose I'll live.

Archived