As a "the secret weapon" user, I'd like to be able to sort notes by tag on mobile.

Hey all,

I've been trying out Evernote as a platform for GTD via The Secret Weapon. I'm enjoying it greatly so far, however the mobile apps all lack the ability to sort notes by tag. Preferably, any view that displays notes would be able to sort them by tag in symbol, number, alpha order - both ascending and descending. This is a pivotal feature for TSW users and without it, I have to fumble through menus, and end up spending more time trying to review my notes than reviewing my notes.

Thanks!

Hi.

I can sort by Tag on my Android app. All I do is open Evernote, tap on the left upper elephant icon, scroll down and tap on Tags. That brings up an alphabetic list of all my Tags, along with the number of notes with each particular Tag. For example, I keep reading notes for all my non-fiction books and one of the Tags I use is "Atheism." The list of Tags tells me how many notes I have with an "Atheism" Tag. When I tap the Tag, all the notes with that Tag are shown, alphabetically ordered by Title.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful. ☺

Hey all,

I've been trying out Evernote as a platform for GTD via The Secret Weapon. I'm enjoying it greatly so far, however the mobile apps all lack the ability to sort notes by tag. Preferably, any view that displays notes would be able to sort them by tag in symbol, number, alpha order - both ascending and descending. This is a pivotal feature for TSW users and without it, I have to fumble through menus, and end up spending more time trying to review my notes than reviewing my notes.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Well, that's filtering by tag, but sorting is a bit different; the request is to be able to sort any list of notes by tag (presumably tags are listed alphabetically in a note, so this would be an alphabetical sort on the concatenation of the tags in a note). 

Well, that's filtering by tag, but sorting is a bit different; the request is to be able to sort any list of notes by tag (presumably tags are listed alphabetically in a note, so this would be an alphabetical sort on the concatenation of the tags in a note).

You have the right of it. Being able to sort notes by concatenated tag order is critical for The Secret Weapon (TSW) being an effective system. TSW uses tags prepended with a number to represent how soon you need to get a task done, i.e. 1-Now, 2-Next, 3-Soon, etc. This allows you to quickly review your tasks in ascending tag order and when sorted in descending order, review your later tasks to make sure they're still in the correct order.

Additionally, symbols such as '!' are used to pull the task above all, such that you can make a !-Reminder or !-Daily tags.

• Level 5*

I'd agree with more flexibility in sorting,  but I'm doubtful whether Evernote should include a system to mirror a third-party process.  I don't use TSW - or tags,  much;  though I might increase my use of tags if the system were easier to manage and sync.

The Secret Weapon is really only a 3rd party system in that it implements GTD using Evernote and the features it provides. Having the ability to sort notes by tag may or may not be helpful outside of TSW, but I know I would appreciate the feature. I considered making an alternative request, which would be to add time contexts as a first class feature to notes, but I felt this would be a more attainable / easily implementable goal. That being said, I've worked on my fair share of software projects, so I know that simplicity of a feature does not necessarily correlate to ease of implementation. In any case, as it stands, TSW is really only at its most useful on the desktop versions of the app.

One work around I have considered is prepending the names of notes with the numbers of the time contexts, however it ends up making my notebook look "crufty" and duplicates information - not to mention lacking the ability to create a saved search for specific contexts.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived