Saferoom - Zero-Knowledge Encryption for Evernote and more

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, KV3333333 said:

Until the Evernote API limitation is fixed, I'll just keep confidential stuff out of Evernote

I share your concern about poking yet another hole in my security.

In my view the limitation has to do with having the external app integrated with Evernote.

You can still encrypt your confidential data and store it in Evernote. An example would be a pdf file.  Encrypt it outside of Evernote before you attach it to a note.

• Like 1
On 17 February 2016 at 4:01 PM, DTLow said:

Thanks Ilia, looks like it solved that problem (opening directly in Saferoom to encrypt pdf)

It still looks ugly in Evernote. Prefer to be viewing a Saferooom object/attachment instead of the encryption jumble.

Yes, it should look like that because it is still not a file only encryption - the content of the note which in this case has only en-media tag is also encrypted. I will show you something related to your question later this week

1 hour ago, Boots said:

Just tried the new version (iOS) and it does exactly what I wanted it to: scan document->open in saferoom->encrypt->upload to Evernote; without the need to save locally or open in another app,

many thanks,

Happy Customer :) 

Great!! Don't hesitate to send more feedback!

14 minutes ago, KV3333333 said:

Saferoom seems to be saying, "We won't view any of your notes, but in order to use our service, you have to tell Evernote that it's OK for us to view your notes." This falls short of the sort of security guarantee that I'm looking for. Blaming the problem on Evernote rather than Saferoom is fine with me, but that does not eliminate the problem. 

Until the Evernote API limitation is fixed, I'll just keep confidential stuff out of Evernote.

Completely understand. Remember, that desktop versions of Saferoom don't require any permissions and don't connect with Evernote cloud, and communicate only with local Evernote app where you assign a notebook to work with. And you can use Saferoom Chrome browser extension to decrypt the notes. This extension also does not need access to your account.

Let me ask some questions related to that to Evernote Dev support, maybe, we can come up with some solution here. Please don't expect a fast reply, dev support seems very slow these days.

A small question: what if Saferoom would ask you to let it read only the notes that Saferoom has created? The permissions would be the same (read full notes), but only those created by Saferoom? Because to work with encrypted notes Saferoom needs to read them obviously.

"A small question: what if Saferoom would ask you to let it read only the notes that Saferoom has created? The permissions would be the same (read full notes), but only those created by Saferoom?"

This would be a step in the right direction, I think, but it doesn't totally solve the issue. Even if Saferoom only had access to certain notes, the notes in question would be precisely those notes that I want to keep most secure. 

"Because to work with encrypted notes Saferoom needs to read them obviously."

It depends what you mean by "Saferoom" in this sentence. If by "Saferoom" you are referring only to the Saferoom app/software that is located entirely on my iOS device and nowhere else, then yes, I understand that "Saferoom" needs access to my notes in order to encrypt them. But if "Saferoom" means anything more than that (e.g., the Saferoom company, the company's servers, etc.), then it's not true that "Saferoom" needs access in order to function and encrypt notes. 

So perhaps the problem is that when Evernote asks me to grant access to "Saferoom" to retrieve all my notes, it does not specify that I'm only granting access to the one individual installation of the Saferoom app that exists on my phone. It sounds like I'm giving the company access, and I don't want to give the company access. Of course, once the data is in your app, your company might have the ability to access it regardless of what I tell Evernote. At some point, I would just have to trust you. But I'd rather not try to increase my security by "just trusting" yet another company with my data. Better to limit the apps (and companies) that can access the data, where possible. So maybe there is no solution.... 

Thanks for engaging with me on this. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, KV3333333 said:

"A small question: what if Saferoom would ask you to let it read only the notes that Saferoom has created? The permissions would be the same (read full notes), but only those created by Saferoom?"

This would be a step in the right direction, I think, but it doesn't totally solve the issue. Even if Saferoom only had access to certain notes, the notes in question would be precisely those notes that I want to keep most secure. 

It depends what you mean by "Saferoom" in this sentence. If by "Saferoom" you are referring only to the Saferoom app/software that is located entirely on my iOS device and nowhere else, then yes, I understand that "Saferoom" needs access to my notes in order to encrypt them. But if "Saferoom" means anything more than that (e.g., the Saferoom company, the company's servers, etc.), then it's not true that "Saferoom" needs access in order to function and encrypt notes. 

So perhaps the problem is that when Evernote asks me to grant access to "Saferoom" to retrieve all my notes, it does not specify that I'm only granting access to the one individual installation of the Saferoom app that exists on my phone. It sounds like I'm giving the company access, and I don't want to give the company access. Of course, once the data is in your app, your company might have the ability to access it regardless of what I tell Evernote. At some point, I would just have to trust you. But I'd rather not try to increase my security by "just trusting" yet another company with my data. Better to limit the apps (and companies) that can access the data, where possible. So maybe there is no solution.... 

It's complete access to your account or no access with the Evernote API. As mentioned previously, Saferoom couldn't function properly otherwise. The kind of restrictions you mention do not exist on Evernote's end. There's nothing that Saferoom can do about it.

2 hours ago, KV3333333 said:

All right, I see a bit more details here, especially, in this part:

So perhaps the problem is that when Evernote asks me to grant access to "Saferoom" to retrieve all my notes, it does not specify that I'm only granting access to the one individual installation of the Saferoom app that exists on my phone.

Seems like, you are right. Indeed, Evernote never mentions in it's Authorisation page if it is an app or a company you give access to.

Now, if you take a look at Evernote's Privacy Policy, they have an abstract about Third-Party Apps here:

https://evernote.com/privacy/3rd_party_app_permissions.php?var=c

And they use the term application everywhere:

If you click the "Decline" button on this page, you deny the application permission to access your Evernote account. If you click the "Authorize" button, you grant the application permission to access your Evernote account.

Just to make it clear - Saferoom app is a client application, it is not a service, so no accounts, no cloud. It means that you give access to a local copy of Saferoom app, never for us as a company. As Saferoom has no accounts, then in this case you really are working with one client app on your device. Saferoom doesn't communicate with another Saferoom over internet thru some cloud or similar - that would destroy the whole purpose of our app.

I still want to talk with Evernote Dev support to see what they can advise us about this. 

• Like 1

With this latest version, the ease of use on IOS has improved dramatically, however, am finding  compatibility issue with windows -windows 10, x86, saferoom v1.4

Notes encrypted on windows with a pdf extension - when decrypted on IOS, the file attachment has no file extension (e.g. .pdf) and IOS does not know what type of file it is - hence I have to save the file, rename it and then i can open it. Am I doing something wrong?

appreciate any comments,

cheers,

Martin

2 hours ago, Boots said:

With this latest version, the ease of use on IOS has improved dramatically, however, am finding  compatibility issue with windows -windows 10, x86, saferoom v1.4

Notes encrypted on windows with a pdf extension - when decrypted on IOS, the file attachment has no file extension (e.g. .pdf) and IOS does not know what type of file it is - hence I have to save the file, rename it and then i can open it. Am I doing something wrong?

appreciate any comments,

cheers,

Martin

Martin,

I've just did an encrypt/decrypt operation with a PDF file with Saferoom v1.4 and latest iOS version - it worked correctly. Then it means that this is something special. 

Please send me a message to support, I will take over there because I have some questions about the file name.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ilia

On 2/12/2015 at 8:10 AM, ilia5101982 said:

Hello, Evernote community,

We are a small team of developers and we are passionate about our new product which is Saferoom. We have been working hard to provide users with zero-knowledge encryption functionality without destroying user's productivity. We wanted to build an encryption app that will be easy to use and allow anybody protect their personal data.

Saferoom is now a set of mobile and desktop that together add full encryption capabilities on-top of Evernote. It means that you work with Evernote normally, and when you need to create or view an encrypted note you use Saferoom. All the time your encrypted items are part of Evernote notes, but you can see them (e.g. decrypt) only inside Saferoom app. And Evernote is just a beginning - we want Saferoom to be like "Passbook" for your encrypted data.

Saferoom encrypts whole note including all the resources - independently of the resource type and your password is stored on the device only. It also means that password cannot be restored - that is a price for true zero-knowledge encryption.

Our app is available in iTunes Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/saferoom-one-app-to-encrypt/id964858486

And in Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.secomsoft.Saferoom

Saferoom Desktop for MacOS and Windows are free:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/saferoom-zero-knowledge-encryption/id981600236

Windows:

http://en.softonic.com/s/saferoom:windows-mac-iphone-android-windows-phone-7-web-apps/windows

And also you can use Saferoom Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/saferoom/nnphkaehepldgkjgnlnmfmpcjkklibfj?hl=en-US

Here is a video demos of Saferoom capabilities:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyNcs_NN5H_JVxZCeR1bFg/videos?spfreload=10

Any feedback is always welcomed.

I've tried saferoom. It seems like a pretty good idea. One has to consider how saferoom is different from the built in EN encryption function. From my trial of both mac and ios version its very nice software but it looses me with the duplication of the note and complexity of creating a encryption and non encrypted note. This from reading the documentation, is intentional. I really dont understand as it makes using your software cumbersome and inefficient. Having more than one of the same note, one encrypted and the other one non-encrypted creates more work for me. Im particularly look for just to encrypt and pass protect my note as simple as possible. With saferoom, I think if it were acouple less steps to do that, it would be phenomenal. 

• Like 1
On 27 February 2016 at 10:43 PM, OMNIZEN said:

I've tried saferoom. It seems like a pretty good idea. One has to consider how saferoom is different from the built in EN encryption function. From my trial of both mac and ios version its very nice software but it looses me with the duplication of the note and complexity of creating a encryption and non encrypted note. This from reading the documentation, is intentional. I really dont understand as it makes using your software cumbersome and inefficient. Having more than one of the same note, one encrypted and the other one non-encrypted creates more work for me. Im particularly look for just to encrypt and pass protect my note as simple as possible. With saferoom, I think if it were acouple less steps to do that, it would be phenomenal. 

@OMNIZEN, thanks for your message. Yes, I agree that Saferoom has a problem of the usability in desktop apps. Right now we are finishing a significant update for Desktop version that will make them much simpler and less cumbersome. I will post some updates in coming weeks related to Saferoom Pro Beta version which is almost ready for Windows. Simplicity is one the essential pillars of Saferoom's development (others are security and speed) - and we are working on that.

Thanks again for your feedback - it really means a lot to us.

12 hours ago, ilia5101982 said:

@OMNIZEN, thanks for your message. Yes, I agree that Saferoom has a problem of the usability in desktop apps. Right now we are finishing a significant update for Desktop version that will make them much simpler and less cumbersome. I will post some updates in coming weeks related to Saferoom Pro Beta version which is almost ready for Windows. Simplicity is one the essential pillars of Saferoom's development (others are security and speed) - and we are working on that.

Thanks again for your feedback - it really means a lot to us.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I'm excited to see ur group is so receptive to feedback but moreso being "in tune" with requests. I look forward to seeing what happens and using full potential of software! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm checking in to see where things are at with the planned release of an updated desktop app that simplifies the workflow. It would be great to have robust encryption functionality seemingly built in to the solution set. As of now, though, the only things I really need to encrypt are PDFs and I can do that outside of Evernote and then simply drag the encrypted PDF to the app and it's done.  I'm intrigued by Saferoom, but it sounds like it has some miles to go before being truly usable. And a look at the app store reviews only has 2, and both say it's crashing on them repeatedly.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, conejo23 said:

I'm checking in to see where things are at with the planned release of an updated desktop app that simplifies the workflow. It would be great to have robust encryption functionality seemingly built in to the solution set. As of now, though, the only things I really need to encrypt are PDFs and I can do that outside of Evernote and then simply drag the encrypted PDF to the app and it's done.  I'm intrigued by Saferoom, but it sounds like it has some miles to go before being truly usable. And a look at the app store reviews only has 2, and both say it's crashing on them repeatedly.

Hola, conejo23,

Things are going fine. I am testing the MacOS v1.6 that will remove some "under-the-hood" shortcuts that we did in the beginning. This will eliminate several exceptions that users have right now. By the way, those exceptions are raised only within a specific set of users, and instead of asking too much details from user configuration and involving them into heavy troubleshooting, we decided to change one part of Saferoom MacOS architecture to help them. I will try to release it next week. 

And then, probably, by the end of May we will be ready with Saferoom MacOS v2.0 (beta at least) that will feature much better usability.

Most of the time, we are updating things in twitter, and recently we wanted to finish the integration of MS OneNote, that's why I was silent here a bit. Out of curiosity maybe, here is the video (take a look at service selection and joint view of notebooks) of OneNote integration:

And here is a screenshot of updated Saferoom Windows (beta in May):

I can assure you that nothing makes me more uncomfortable, than seeing exceptions in our app. We are working to improve Saferoom as much as we can.

Cheers,

Ilia

I downloaded ios version today since Evernote doesn't take encryption seriously, i needed to find an alternative.  I have encrypted a few items, and it seems to work as I hoped.  Can you encrypt a folder and everything in it at once? I do understand the only way to read an encryopted message is to use the Safe Room app, I wonder however what happens if I decide Safe Room isnt for me, or Safe Room is no longer around.  Can I Un-encrypt my messages?  

Thank you!

• Like 2

Hello, @dennisgerk,

Can you encrypt a folder and everything in it at once?

You can't do that in mobile versions. You need to use Saferoom MacOS or Saferoom Windows desktop versions to do that. Also there is a Saferoom Chrome extension to decrypt your notes directly from Evernote web site.

I wonder however what happens if I decide Safe Room isnt for me, or Safe Room is no longer around.  Can I Un-encrypt my messages?

For that reason we have created Saferoom desktop version and they are free. Whenever you decide to stop using Saferoom, use Saferoom Desktop to decrypt your previously encrypted notes. Remember to select a local notebook as an output for decryption.

Our help website is : http://help.getsaferoom.com

Have a nice day,

Ilia

Hi,

I tested out Saferoom for Mac for the first time just now, and ran into a strange issue right away.

I duplicated a note, moved it to "Encrypt_Inbox", hit the "Encrypt notes" button (on the Saferoom app), and got an encrypted note. So far so good.

I then moved the encrypted note to "Decrypt_Inbox", and hit the "Decrypt notes" button.

To my surprise, the result is different from the original note! A side-by-side screenshot is attached below. The difference is too obvious to miss. In fact, all the image inserts in the article have been moved to the end (yes, they are still there thankfully) in the decrypted version.

Two more things:

1. the encrypted note is not tagged as "encrypted", nor is the decrypted note tagged as "decrypted" (I remember reading that somewhere, either in this thread or on your website).
  2. the url of the original note is missing from the "decrypted" note. (I think it makes sense to strip the information from the encrypted note, but it would be better if such information can be saved in encrypted form and restored when decrypted.)

The note I tested with is a news clip from anandtech.com, so I don't mind putting it in a shared notebook if you want to take a look. Let me know.

Edit: forgot to say: I tested on OS X 10.11.4, with Evernote v.6.6 (453293 Direct), and Saferoom v.1.6 (166).

2.jpg

• Like 1

@mwang, hi,

I am checking this. Original structure of your note stays unchanged (I can see this in console output in my test version), the problem is when this note is uploaded to Evernote app, it does something with it. Evernote behaves strangely with the upload. We will try to find out the workaround this weekend.

Sorry for that,

Cheers,

Ilia

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: we've released v.1.7 for MacOs, solving some issues, including the ones mentioned by @mwang. However, due to a bug in Evernote MacOs app resources are added again to the note end. I don't know when Evernote will solve this, so I've decided to speed up development for Saferoom MacOS v2.0. It will mimic the functionality of mobile apps (decrypting in Saferoom app with export to Evernote if needed) instead of constant creation of note copies.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/6/2016 at 9:26 AM, ilia5101982 said:

Quick update: we've released v.1.7 for MacOs, solving some issues, including the ones mentioned by @mwang. However, due to a bug in Evernote MacOs app resources are added again to the note end. I don't know when Evernote will solve this, so I've decided to speed up development for Saferoom MacOS v2.0. It will mimic the functionality of mobile apps (decrypting in Saferoom app with export to Evernote if needed) instead of constant creation of note copies.

Hi, great app!

I've installed on my windows 10 machine, and I'm having similar problems as @mwang.  I encrypted and decrypted a web clipped note, and the decrypted version is cut short by quite a bit, (yet it is larger in size for some reason.)  Here are the notes.  the file labeled as 2 is the one post decryption.

Five Tomato Growing Tricks You Need to Start Using - GrowJourney - Seeds of the Month Club.html

Five Tomato Growing Tricks You Need to Start Using - GrowJourney - Seeds of the Month Club2.html

On 6/22/2016 at 11:30 AM, dantonic said:

Hi, great app!

I've installed on my windows 10 machine, and I'm having similar problems as @mwang.  I encrypted and decrypted a web clipped note, and the decrypted version is cut short by quite a bit, (yet it is larger in size for some reason.)  Here are the notes.  the file labeled as 2 is the one post decryption.

Five Tomato Growing Tricks You Need to Start Using - GrowJourney - Seeds of the Month Club.html

Five Tomato Growing Tricks You Need to Start Using - GrowJourney - Seeds of the Month Club2.html

Hola, @dantonic,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. We are investigating this, and everything points to some symbol that Evernote windows app blocks during import of the note.

We need more time to find this faulty symbol and remove it before importing. The note is decrypted correctly, the same as @mwang note - the problem appears when you import it to Evernote.

Hi,

I have installes Saferoom Desktop for MacOS a few months ago now and have encrypted a few notes (containing PDF files).

It's been working fine for sometime but now, when I try to decrypt my notes, they appear completely empty.

Any idea of why it's happening?

Thanks,

nickair

On 7/2/2016 at 3:27 AM, ilia5101982 said:

@nickair, please send us an email to support (at) getsaferoom.com, I have a few questions. 

@dantonic we checked your note on Windows 7 only (encrypt and decrypt) and it works correctly. So the issue is limited to Windows 10. We are investigating this further.

Thank you very much.   I've been in communication with Alexey by email.   Still no solution,  but it sounds like I'm the only one with the problem.  He mentioned it worked on windows 10.  Also I just installed saferoom on my windows 7 desktop and tried it this morning,  and had he same issue. 

I emailed Alexey and am waiting for a response.   I don't know what could be causing this just for me on 2 separate machines.   The only common link is my evernote account.  I tried with 3 separate Web clipped notes,  and there's issue with all 3.  Regular notes seem to work fine. 

I also tried uninstalling and re installing evernote on windows 10, and nothing. 

I don't know if you have access to the emails I sent to Alexey,  but in the windows 10 machine I also had errors with saferoom not being able to find the executable for evernote,  so I had to create the notebooks manually in evernote.  On windows 7 that aspect worked fine. 

Thank you for your help, I hope we can figure out what's going on,  I'd love to permanently use saferoom in my desktop and Android device if it can work correctly.   Doesn't sound like other users are having an issue perhaps it's just me?

Hi,

I don't know where the best place is to report a problem so I'm starting here.

I just installed Saferoom for Mac OS for the first time but when I opened it, it caused Evernote to crash. I removed/deleted Saferoom and then reinstalled it and opened it and this time it was Saferoom that crashed. I have crash reports from both occurrences.

Thanks.

Mac OS X 10.11.5, Evernote 6.7.1, Saferoom 1.7

On 3 July 2016 at 10:12 PM, dantonic said:

Thank you very much.   I've been in communication with Alexey by email.   Still no solution,  but it sounds like I'm the only one with the problem.  He mentioned it worked on windows 10.  Also I just installed saferoom on my windows 7 desktop and tried it this morning,  and had he same issue. 

I emailed Alexey and am waiting for a response.   I don't know what could be causing this just for me on 2 separate machines.   The only common link is my evernote account.  I tried with 3 separate Web clipped notes,  and there's issue with all 3.  Regular notes seem to work fine. 

I also tried uninstalling and re installing evernote on windows 10, and nothing. 

I don't know if you have access to the emails I sent to Alexey,  but in the windows 10 machine I also had errors with saferoom not being able to find the executable for evernote,  so I had to create the notebooks manually in evernote.  On windows 7 that aspect worked fine. 

Thank you for your help, I hope we can figure out what's going on,  I'd love to permanently use saferoom in my desktop and Android device if it can work correctly.   Doesn't sound like other users are having an issue perhaps it's just me?

Yes, we are working with Alexey together on this and indeed this looks a bit odd. We are really thankful for your patience, and I hope eventually we will solve this problem. I don't think that you have an account problem because Saferoom Windows doesn't work with any accounts, it communicates directly with Evernote App. We suspect that there are some invalid registry entries or something got corrupted in the OS.

5 hours ago, Polgs said:

Hi,

I don't know where the best place is to report a problem so I'm starting here.

I just installed Saferoom for Mac OS for the first time but when I opened it, it caused Evernote to crash. I removed/deleted Saferoom and then reinstalled it and opened it and this time it was Saferoom that crashed. I have crash reports from both occurrences.

Thanks.

Mac OS X 10.11.5, Evernote 6.7.1, Saferoom 1.7

@Polgs, send me the email to support (att) getsaferoom(dot)com, I will take it from there. It might be that the new version of Evernote has some updates to its interfaces. I need to take a closer look at the crash reports ( I have the same config as you do).

Gentlemen, is there any update to the development of a native Linux app?  I know that the installed base isn't as big as Windows or Apple, but I would imagine that there's a higher percentage of your target market within the Linux community than the others, too.  Still waiting....

On 7 July 2016 at 2:04 PM, dwsundin said:

Gentlemen, is there any update to the development of a native Linux app?  I know that the installed base isn't as big as Windows or Apple, but I would imagine that there's a higher percentage of your target market within the Linux community than the others, too.  Still waiting....

Hey, 

Well, there is not much of an update - as I already mentioned we need to rebuild our encryption library using C and write a client in C also to protect Evernote Dev key. We thought using Python, but then we did not find a way to protect the key.

Right now, I am waiting for Apple Swift release, to check if we can run it on some Linux distributions - this way we don't need to rewrite anything.

Linux is on our list, but it is not the first one in the priority. First we need to solve speed issues in mobile, release Saferoom macOS and Windows 2.0 apps, and then we can switch to Linux app.

Cheers,

Ilia

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @ilia5101982

First off, thanks for all the effort of creating this tool, which is much needed!

I am wondering how you intend this software to be used, because looking at the tutorial videos, I seriously can't see this being realistic.

Was the idea to be able to en/decrypt just a handful of notes at maximum?

Because with every "Encrypt", all files get encrypted and saved alongside any other encrypted messages that already exist in the encrypted notebook. So they basically get duplicated. Same happens when "Decrypting". So obviously, having hundreds of notes, this would make it totally unmanageable, even on just 1 device, let alone multiple ones!

In the video the note gets copied into the "Encrypt Inbox", then encrypted, then moved to the notebook to be synced with Evernote.
On any other device, the same copy-paste operation is necessary to decrypt.

What I was hoping for was something like this:

Encryption: Local notebook -> Encrypt all notes -> Notebook to be synced with Evernote
Decryption: Notebook on Evernote -> Decrypt all notes -> Local notebook

If I now change something in a local note, I would expect your software to just synchronise the changed note and replace the one in the Evernote notebook, not just create a new copy of all of them (also unchanged ones).
Is this not possible or was this never the idea?

Also, at the moment it only works on 1 notebook. Will this be extended to multiple ones in the future?

Bottom line: The way the en/decryption works at the moment, it's not usable for a smooth workflow of more than a handful of notes.

If I'm missing something here, please do enlighten me! :-D

Thanks,

Armando

• Like 1

Hola, @ArmyMan,

Thanks for your feedback, Desktop app is becoming a burning question. 

When we were building Desktop app, we decided to use the following guidelines:

• It should work offline
  • it should work without asking Evernote account 
  • it should be simple.
  • it should not connect to any servers at all

The most important criteria was simplicity. At that time the design was a good match - when you need to encrypt 2-3% of your notes, using notebooks like a inbox/outbox is a good choice with above conditions (Saferoom macOS works in sealed sandbox with access to only Evernote app, nothing else at all). And as you correctly mentioned - this simplicity breaks user workflow when you run daily encrypt/decrypt operations with big number of notes. I absolutely agree with that and we are building more sophisticated version of Saferoom Desktop for Windows and macOS. We are 80% ready on Windows to start Beta, and approximately 50% ready in macOS. 

Bottom line: I agree with you (and with many others) about Desktop, we are working on that as fast as we physically can. We can only ask for a little bit more patience.

I hope this clarifies a bit, and thanks again for your message.

Cheers,

Ilia

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just installed Saferoom on Windows, OS X and my Android phone (Nexus 6P) and tablet.  This application works a treat and is certainly a nice addition to Evernote security (or general lack thereof).  I would like to humbly request for future iterations of the mobile client applications at least (both Android and iOS) to utilize biometric hardware as option for master password.  Being able to utilize this again adds greater convenience to end users who don't necessarily want the Master password logged in for any length of time on their device and can more simply use biometric authentication on demand for speedy decryption process to initiate.  Otherwise, so far so good and looking forward to your progress on the aforementioned desktop app for processing larger quantities of notes.  I would be interested in this as I have a number of very full local notebooks with all the scans from our old paper file cabinet that contain sensitive data that I would like to encrypt and keep in cloud ideally.

Thanks,

Dubhead

• Like 1

Hi, community,

We've been a bit passive on communications for couple of months, but now I wanted to update everyone with some cool stuff that we've been doing.

1. Support of OneNote in Saferoom. Now you can attach OneNote account and encrypt/decrypt notes between OneNote and Evernote - example from iOS (release of mobile apps - end of August):

2. Saferoom Word  - an important step in our encryption library, and a neat addition to MS Office folks. It is still a standalone add-in (no support for Word inside Saferoom App), but we are working on it. This add-in will work only in MS Word, not supported inside Saferoom Apps ecosystem yet. 

3. Saferoom Linux - it is a completely different approach, and it will be open source . There is one limitation - you need a developer key and you will need to request it from Evernote. Right now there is no way to hide our dev key, so we had to make a choice. We have an idea how to solve this in future, but it will take time: 

4. First video of Saferoom Windows Pro beta - this one was tough. Due to Windows 10 release we had to throw out almost 6 months of work - Microsoft changed everything and we had to rewrite it from scratch. As you can see it is not yet aesthetically nice, and with strange colours, but the flow is there. This is our priority number 1 now.

5. Saferoom Android Updates - we've done a major enhancements to Saferoom Android:

There is one thing left - the support for encrypting existing notes, it will come at the end of September for all mobile apps. We just could not fit it correctly to the current release. 

Cheers,

Ilia

P.S. We are now also available in France App Store and Google Play.

• Like 1

@Sayre Ambrosio, I tested it on iOS 10, it was working fine. However, iOS Betas sometime behave strangely around keychain topics and memory allocation (for Share extension), so not much guarantees.

I can include you into Beta testers list, and you will get the latest version of Saferoom. Then you can play with our app on iOS 10.

Cheers,

Ilia

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ilia5101982 said:

@Sayre Ambrosio, I tested it on iOS 10, it was working fine. However, iOS Betas sometime behave strangely around keychain topics and memory allocation (for Share extension), so not much guarantees.

I can include you into Beta testers list, and you will get the latest version of Saferoom. Then you can play with our app on iOS 10.

Cheers,

Ilia

That would be amazing. :) I'll send you my email in a private message on here. Looking forward to testing.

A small update as a reminder - For better security Saferoom supports 1Password app which you can use to encrypt/decrypt your notes for better password security. One exception is macOS - we still could not figure out how to do it there. It will come eventually.

Here are the examples:

Saferoom Android and 1Password - through 1Password keyboard:

https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard/

Saferoom Windows:

Saferoom iOS

Can someone answer me this question about saferoom. Why is it that, if you change the password (for security purposes) that the note will only remember that one password and not a new updated password? Seems to be a HUGE issue in the event that you scrap or change passwords often

• Like 1
On 2 September 2016 at 5:28 PM, OMNIZEN said:

Can someone answer me this question about saferoom. Why is it that, if you change the password (for security purposes) that the note will only remember that one password and not a new updated password? Seems to be a HUGE issue in the event that you scrap or change passwords often

Hey, @OMNIZEN,

This is how math works, and we can't really do anything here without putting user data under serious risk. Let me explain in simplified manner - encryption is a math operation. Like any math operation it requires some input parameters (a key and some other stuff) to produce a result - a cipher. Then decryption is reverse math operation of encryption, so it requires the same input parameters to produce the result - the original text or data. And as math operations it produces the result instantaneously - and input parameters become integral part of the produced result.

If you change input parameters (change your password), then the result won't be the same anymore. So previous ciphers (encrypted notes) won't produce the original data after you put different parameters. This is how in most of the cases symmetric encryption works  - the key is integral part of a cipher. 

Now, the workaround in Saferoom during a change of your password would be the re-encryption of all your previous notes. It is a bit of hassle, but once we solve a problem how to encrypt a massive amount of notes (>100) at one operation, then re-encryption would not be a problem on the desktop. 

The other solution is to use asymmetric encryption - I honestly like it very much, but then somebody should provide digital certificates and PKI infra should be in place. 

I hope it clarifies, and thank you for the question. Comment if something is not clear, I would glad to help.

@Sayre Ambrosio, I will take a look at it. 

Thanks for clarifying. I guess for me it's about convenience of use. I have stuff I like to keep secure but I'm not holding any security national secrets. Nor would I care to much if someone saw my notes. But the idea of encrypting an entire group of notes / or even notebook and have it easily encrypt / decrypt easily is what I'm looking for. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OMNIZEN said:

Thanks for clarifying. I guess for me it's about convenience of use. I have stuff I like to keep secure but I'm not holding any security national secrets. Nor would I care to much if someone saw my notes. But the idea of encrypting an entire group of notes / or even notebook and have it easily encrypt / decrypt easily is what I'm looking for. 

Thanks for a great question. I understand your point of view (and that of many users), and step-by-step working and investigating different things we will get to the point where encryption will become a standard function like Copy/Paste. The idea to constantly work towards it, and this is what we are trying to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

A small update - we've just released Saferoom Linux that features open-source code, and also supports Evernote and OneNote. There are some tricky things to do to set it up, but we believe it is a good way forward. Also for advanced users - it is not limited to Linux, it runs as a web app, so you can deploy it on other systems.

https://github.com/saferoom-app/saferoomlinux

Here are some videos:

Creating a note:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I downloaded the mac app but am being asked to set a master password in Keychain. How can I bypass Keychain. I have no trust in my keychain as my computer user account can access this info. That makes the master password only as secure as my computer user password. The way I do things is that I make it easy to get in to my computer cause that makes things easy for me, but anything sensitive is encrypted locally. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi,

I recently encrypted all my notes using Saferoom in response to the move to Google Cloud Platform for Evernote's backend. However, I find that Saferoom on iOS cannot decrypt my keynote files properly and also that Saferoom on iOS crashes a lot when decrypting. Any tips or software updates that will make Saferoom more reliable. It seems like, there is a lot of talk about adding more functionality to Saferoom... but what about making Saferoom work flawlessly on current platforms?

• Like 1
On 10/7/2016 at 0:31 AM, virtualbartek said:

Hi,

I downloaded the mac app but am being asked to set a master password in Keychain. How can I bypass Keychain. I have no trust in my keychain as my computer user account can access this info. That makes the master password only as secure as my computer user password. The way I do things is that I make it easy to get in to my computer cause that makes things easy for me, but anything sensitive is encrypted locally. 

Thanks

Hey, @virtualbartek,

Thanks a lot for the question. I never thought that a user might actually want to skip keychain password creation. I will update the UI in the next release to have a skip button. 

In your case you can create a dummy password in the keychain - something like "testtest". And then use Manual password entry button each time during encryption/decryption. That way you will need to enter the password for every operation manually, and it will not be stored anywhere in the system. But make sure you remember it.

Do you extra help to show you how to use Manual entry?

Cheers,

Ilia

P.S. I can't still make support of 1Password or LastPass on Mac, but I will be working in that direction.

4 minutes ago, ilia5101982 said:

Hey, @virtualbartek,

Thanks a lot for the question. I never thought that a user might actually want to skip keychain password creation. I will update the UI in the next release to have a skip button. 

In your case you can create a dummy password in the keychain - something like "testtest". And then use Manual password entry button each time during encryption/decryption. That way you will need to enter the password for every operation manually, and it will not be stored anywhere in the system. But make sure you remember it.

Do you extra help to show you how to use Manual entry?

Cheers,

Ilia

P.S. I can't still make support of 1Password or LastPass on Mac, but I will be working in that direction.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. That's perfect and so I'll do that. I use 1Password which I trust, is all.

Thanks again,

Bart

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dudeman313 said:

Hi,

I recently encrypted all my notes using Saferoom in response to the move to Google Cloud Platform for Evernote's backend. However, I find that Saferoom on iOS cannot decrypt my keynote files properly and also that Saferoom on iOS crashes a lot when decrypting. Any tips or software updates that will make Saferoom more reliable. It seems like, there is a lot of talk about adding more functionality to Saferoom... but what about making Saferoom work flawlessly on current platforms?

Hello, @dudeman313,

Agree with your annoyance with Saferoom bugs. Actually, I just finished fixing them during this weekend. We saw those exceptions in our systems (iOS) during decryption and we've just finished fixing them. Keynote (and actually iWork docs) were not yet supported by Saferoom till today, and after your feedback I've added them into supported file list. 

I will do some checks on Monday on other devices to make sure it works, and deploy an update during next week.

Thank you very much for your feedback, and please send us any doubts and problems you have. You can always sent us any message to support@getsaferoom.com or to me via PM here.

Cheers,

Ilia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks so much for the iWork file update! That's a huge help. 

Saferoom has really given me peace of mind with my data. 

If I may offer some feedback... I have a few files with MP3 or .MOV attachments within notes. When I try to open these notes from Evernote using the share feature on iOS to decrypt in Saferoom it does not open. However, when I open directly in Saferoom they seem to work just fine. I don't know if the issue occurs because of the file type or file size.

Which brings me to my feature request... an easier way to find notes in Saferoom. For starters I think a sort feature would be great where I can view notes either alphabetically by note title or chronologically. 

A search would be nice too. 

But if the share private link to Saferoom feature worked flawlessly, I could simply use the sort and search within Evernote app.

thanks again

• Like 1
On 10/18/2016 at 0:35 AM, dudeman313 said:

Hi,

Thanks so much for the iWork file update! That's a huge help. 

Saferoom has really given me peace of mind with my data. 

If I may offer some feedback... I have a few files with MP3 or .MOV attachments within notes. When I try to open these notes from Evernote using the share feature on iOS to decrypt in Saferoom it does not open. However, when I open directly in Saferoom they seem to work just fine. I don't know if the issue occurs because of the file type or file size.

Which brings me to my feature request... an easier way to find notes in Saferoom. For starters I think a sort feature would be great where I can view notes either alphabetically by note title or chronologically. 

A search would be nice too. 

But if the share private link to Saferoom feature worked flawlessly, I could simply use the sort and search within Evernote app.

thanks again

Hi, @dudeman313,

I am so happy that we could help you! 

Can you please tell me the size of those files? Probably, there is an issue with the size (files that are too big are blocked by Apple iOS in the Share Extension). I will run some experiments and come back with a solution.

Yes, easier notes search is on my list, absolutely agree. 

Thanks a lot, and please don't hesitate to share your feedback.

Cheers,

Ilia

• 1 month later...

I really like the workflow of the Linux version, so I may just install that version on my Mac and give it a try, but as for the regular MacOS version, how does one do the one-time (shared) password function?  I have the Lock/Unlock, but don't see a one-time function I swear I saw mentioned elsewhere.

Also, after the first encryption pass, I noticed that part of the word "Encrypt" appeared on that button over the lock, but the same does not appear on the Un-lock button.  Perhaps an artifact of a prior version?

Thanks,

S

Screenshot 2016-11-20 11.00.52.png

On 10/19/2016 at 8:36 PM, dudeman313 said:

Both files about 44MB

I am trying to solve this. iOS block CPU and memory consuming operations and downloading big file "hangs" Share extension. I will try to find a workaround (maybe, for big notes give an option to open them directly in Saferoom App).

On 11/20/2016 at 5:03 PM, Jestre said:

I really like the workflow of the Linux version, so I may just install that version on my Mac and give it a try, but as for the regular MacOS version, how does one do the one-time (shared) password function?  I have the Lock/Unlock, but don't see a one-time function I swear I saw mentioned elsewhere.

Also, after the first encryption pass, I noticed that part of the word "Encrypt" appeared on that button over the lock, but the same does not appear on the Un-lock button.  Perhaps an artifact of a prior version?

Thanks,

S

Screenshot 2016-11-20 11.00.52.png

The shared password works by toggling the Keyboard button. 

I will check this Encrypt title stuff, it is an artefact indeed. And go ahead with Linux version, Saferoom Pro for Mac is a bit delayed due to lack of Evernote SDK for Mac, we have to modify iOS part.

Also Linux version will feature CLI interface for file encryption soon, we've just finished testing. It means you use command line to encrypt files to notebooks using command line (thus giving the possibility to write scripts to Saferoom).

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 18.28.49.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using Mac Desktop version 1.8.  When I de-crypt any evernote notes that contain tables, any images that are within tables will be removed from the tables.  The table size and text data is retained, only the images will get removed and then be placed at the end of the de-crypted note.     Is this a bug ?  Is there a chance this will be corrected in the 2.0 version?  

Thanks

Tim

• Like 1
On 12/12/2016 at 3:24 PM, Wetbear said:

I'm using Mac Desktop version 1.8.  When I de-crypt any evernote notes that contain tables, any images that are within tables will be removed from the tables.  The table size and text data is retained, only the images will get removed and then be placed at the end of the de-crypted note.     Is this a bug ?  Is there a chance this will be corrected in the 2.0 version?  

Thanks

Tim

Hi, Tim,

This is a small bug in Evernote macOS app during note import. We already notified Evernote on stack overflow. I don't know when they will fix it.

I am building macOS app now, and I want to finish it by middle of January to run beta testing. The new app will follow the same UX as the mobile so you will see all your notes inside Saferoom macOS and decrypt them as you would in iOS or Android. 

I understand that we promised updates to desktop apps for a long time, and we are doing what we can to finish them. I hope new Saferoom Windows app will go to beta next week.

Thanks,

Ilia

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Is there an option to encrypt the whole note in a standard encrypted pdf file format? I don't want lock-in by a proprietary encryption format.

That's a new topic, and it's not cool to highjack Saferoom's discussion

I use encrypted pdfs.  It's actually two steps; Convert to pdf then Encrypt PDF

Hi, 

I have really been appreciating Saferoom for iOS.

Will the ability to decrypt short video clips be added soon? I have a few video clips within notes that I cannot view on iOS. 

It would be awesome to be able to tap on the video and "Open In" another app to play it.

On 19-12-2016 at 8:53 PM, DTLow said:

That's a new topic, and it's not cool to highjack Saferoom's discussion

I use encrypted pdfs.  It's actually two steps; Convert to pdf then Encrypt PDF

Excuse me, imo this isn't a new topic or highjack ; it is a suggestion to make Saferoom more attractive and robust.

I really like Saferoom's full feature-set, except for the embedded encryption which has some blocking problems (at least for me) :

•  accidental change of only a single character leads to complete note loss
  •  proprietary encryption format lock-in

In  order to solve these problems, Saferoom could adopt a standard encryption file format such as 7-zip or pdf, and leave the smooth Saferoom workflow exactly as it is.

Btw:  can you convert any (rich) note to pdf from within EvernoteForWindows ?

1 hour ago, eric99 said:

I really like Saferoom's full feature-set, except for the embedded encryption which has some blocking problems (at least for me) :

•  accidental change of only a single character leads to complete note loss
  •  proprietary encryption format lock-in

In  order to solve these problems, Saferoom could adopt a standard encryption file format such as 7-zip or pdf, and leave the smooth Saferoom workflow exactly as it is.

Item 1 is hard to overcome since changing one character in any encrypted text/file will likely compromise the entire note.  But that's true of most any file type.

For Item 2, since they already use AES-256, which is about as standard as you can get these days, I am guessing that rather than storing just the text of the output encryption, you would like the note to be encrypted, wrapped in some third-party file format, and then added to a note as an attachment, rather than text?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, eric99 said:

Btw:  can you convert any (rich) note to pdf from within EvernoteForWindows ?

If my note  is static information (not being updated), I always convert to PDF format.
This protects it from accidental updates, and I prefer the view-as-attachment 

On my Mac, I right-click on the note and select convert-to-pdf.  
It's do-able on other platforms, but more complicated

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, eric99 said:

can you convert any (rich) note to pdf from within EvernoteForWindows ?

From within Evernote Windows?  No.  The only way I am aware of is to first print the note to pdf.  A pdf print driver needs to be installed first.  Then the created pdf can be password protected and attached to the note and the original note contents deleted.  Do able but cumbersome.  I use EN's encryption for any text note contents that I want to protect and the documents that I need to protect are usually already in pdf form so for those I just enable password protection.  That said, I still hope that EN will someday implement full note and notebook level encryption.

5 hours ago, Jestre said:

Item 1 is hard to overcome since changing one character in any encrypted text/file will likely compromise the entire note.  But that's true of most any file type.

For Item 2, since they already use AES-256, which is about as standard as you can get these days, I am guessing that rather than storing just the text of the output encryption, you would like the note to be encrypted, wrapped in some third-party file format, and then added to a note as an attachment, rather than text?

Item 1 is solved if you store it as an attachment instead of plain text ( I prefer the view-as-attachment as well) 

For item 2, AES-256 is just the mathematical compression algorithm, there is much more involved when compressing a complex note with different attachments, and as far as I know, this is not documented and/or standardized.

So, I would prefer not just any third-party format but a strong (defacto) standard file format. I want to be able to read it, without the need to write my own decompression program, in case something would  happen with SafeRoom. Normally, these encrypted files are always accessed via SafeRoom, but it is extremely important to know that my data is accessable without SafeRoom and portable if needed.

IMO, SafeRoom's success heavily depends on this feature...

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

From within Evernote Windows?  No.  The only way I am aware of is to first print the note to pdf.  A pdf print driver needs to be installed first.  Then the created pdf can be password protected and attached to the note and the original note contents deleted.  Do able but cumbersome.  I use EN's encryption for any text note contents that I want to protect and the documents that I need to protect are usually already in pdf form so for those I just enable password protection.  That said, I still hope that EN will someday implement full note and notebook level encryption.

Not only cumbersome, but evernote printing is extremely buggy as well :-/

On 12/19/2016 at 8:19 PM, eric99 said:

Is there an option to encrypt the whole note in a standard encrypted pdf file format? I don't want lock-in by a proprietary encryption format.

Hi, @eric99,

Right now there is no such possibility. Our library works with AES-256 format which is a standard nowadays. I understand your concern about our proprietary encryption format, but we don't have. We use standard available AES-256 means provided by macOS, iOS, Android, Windows libraries. We just created a very stable multi-platform realisation of this library, but we had not built any proprietary encryption format. To protect our users we have added some enhancements to standard libraries increasing key size, putting minimal limit on the encryption key, etc.

We also have an open-source app for Linux where anyone can easily build a client to our encryption format.

Having said above, we are not discarding the usage of different encryption techniques (asymmetric, PGP). In fact, I agree that our users would appreciate that. For now we have an important milestone to reach - update our desktop apps. After we will update our library to allow only file encryption (so you can encrypt only attachments, leaving original note's text as it is) and during this exercise we will take a look at other encryption algorithms.

5 hours ago, dantonic said:

Hi guys,

Just wondering when do you expect to roll out the next version for windows?  It's been a few months since you showed the youtube video of it.

Almost ready. Waiting for beta certifications in Microsoft Windows Store. It usually takes 2-4 days. 

On 12/21/2016 at 8:29 AM, dudeman313 said:

Hi, 

I have really been appreciating Saferoom for iOS.

Will the ability to decrypt short video clips be added soon? I have a few video clips within notes that I cannot view on iOS. 

It would be awesome to be able to tap on the video and "Open In" another app to play it.

Hi, @dudeman313, 

It sounds like a bug. Can you tell me the video clip file size and extension?

4 hours ago, ilia5101982 said:

Hi, @eric99,

Right now there is no such possibility. Our library works with AES-256 format which is a standard nowadays. I understand your concern about our proprietary encryption format, but we don't have. We use standard available AES-256 means provided by macOS, iOS, Android, Windows libraries. We just created a very stable multi-platform realisation of this library, but we had not built any proprietary encryption format. To protect our users we have added some enhancements to standard libraries increasing key size, putting minimal limit on the encryption key, etc.

We also have an open-source app for Linux where anyone can easily build a client to our encryption format.

Having said above, we are not discarding the usage of different encryption techniques (asymmetric, PGP). In fact, I agree that our users would appreciate that. For now we have an important milestone to reach - update our desktop apps. After we will update our library to allow only file encryption (so you can encrypt only attachments, leaving original note's text as it is) and during this exercise we will take a look at other encryption algorithms.

Almost ready. Waiting for beta certifications in Microsoft Windows Store. It usually takes 2-4 days. 

That's good news that you have an open source app, thanks for that.

I'm still wondering what happens with my encrypted notes when exporting a notebook to HTML format? If it stays encrypted, how can I decrypt it in my browser?

On 12/23/2016 at 8:33 PM, eric99 said:

That's good news that you have an open source app, thanks for that.

I'm still wondering what happens with my encrypted notes when exporting a notebook to HTML format? If it stays encrypted, how can I decrypt it in my browser?

Hmm...A good question - I will test that in coming days.

Hey,

We've just opened a sign up for Saferoom Windows Beta testing on our website -  http://getsaferoom.com.

Unfortunately, Microsoft is not particularly user-friendly when it comes to Beta testing, hence, there are two conditions:

• Only Windows 10 users can participate in Beta
  • You need to specify your Microsoft Account email so we can generate a Microsoft Store Link for you

Please sign-up if you want to play with Saferoom v2.0 Beta which will work similarly to Mobile Apps. We would be extremely happy to hear to feedback as always.

Cheers,

Ilia

Hi, love the product idea. Just wondering - with local notebooks (eg. encrypt/decrypt inbox) on the Mac desktop app, the sync icon spins for quite a while whenever a local notebook is changed (eg. delete a note from the decrypt_inbox). Is it definitely not sending something to the Evernote server? If not, why does the sync animation spin for so long? I don't have the technical knowledge to investigate this but I wonder if someone can shed light on why a local notebook even fires off a sync animation? It doesn't even seem to make sense to trigger a sync icon animation ever for local notebook operations?

On 4/15/2017 at 0:53 AM, Fray Dends said:

Hi, love the product idea. Just wondering - with local notebooks (eg. encrypt/decrypt inbox) on the Mac desktop app, the sync icon spins for quite a while whenever a local notebook is changed (eg. delete a note from the decrypt_inbox). Is it definitely not sending something to the Evernote server? If not, why does the sync animation spin for so long? I don't have the technical knowledge to investigate this but I wonder if someone can shed light on why a local notebook even fires off a sync animation? It doesn't even seem to make sense to trigger a sync icon animation ever for local notebook operations?

Hello, Fray,

Saferoom macOS doesn't work with any server. In macOS system when you develop an app you need to select which capabilities you want to be allowed as each app is in a sandbox. It means that if I want Saferoom macOS to work with any external server I need to enable incoming connections so that macOS will allow our app to send a request to outside server. 

Saferoom macOS has everything disabled except 1 option - it can send and receive data only from Evernote app. It means our app is fully sandbox, it cannot make any connections to any outside servers, it cannot connect to any app except Evernote.

The spinning animation is just an animation we start when some activity begins it's cycle. I think it is spinning in your case because of some bug, it is just stuck in infinite loop. I just tried different activities with my local decrypt notebook and spinner is not appearing. 

Can you please send us an email so I can investigate? I would need some details.

Thanks,

Ilia

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 22.30.43.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm wondering if the following scenario is supported in any way within Saferoom?

I tend to scan a lot of documents and then store them as pdf's in Evernote - however,  I do not do this with confidential information as I would not want it uploaded unencrypted. I use an app on my iPhone to control the scanner and it is easy to save the documents directly into Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the new windows version requires logging in with the evernote credentials.  I don't think previous versions needed this?  Just curious what is the difference?  Are there any risks involved?

Thank you.

Just downloaded your Mac client and used it to encrypt a few PDF notes. I immediately went to buy the iOS client. I can happily say that your tool has stopped me leaving Evernote. 

On 5/29/2017 at 8:58 AM, dantonic said:

I noticed the new windows version requires logging in with the evernote credentials.  I don't think previous versions needed this?  Just curious what is the difference?  Are there any risks involved?

Thank you.

Hi, @dantonic,

We are aligning desktop experience with mobile one. We've received lots of feedback about the inconsistency and a lack of friendliness of desktop version. Hence, we are now developing more advanced desktop apps with similar experience to mobile apps. It also means that now you are working through Saferoom with your Evernote cloud account using  the same principles as in mobile. No additional risks involved. 

Previous notebook-based version is still available called Saferoom Mini. Honestly, I have not yet figured out how to integrate this Mini version into a new one from UX point of view.

Mac update is in development process; we had to rewrite some Evernote SDK modules as they don't have API for Mac.

@deroo, thanks a lot! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 21.46.56.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2017 at 0:52 PM, ilia5101982 said:

Hi, @dantonic,

We are aligning desktop experience....

Ilia, is there a way in the new windows app to encrypt local notes and transfer to a regular notebook?

My use case with the previous version of saferoom was the following:

I scan my sensitive documents and they get automatically saved in a local scans folder.
I then use the tray app to encrypt and it creates encrypted copies to a regular notebook which is then synced to my evernote account.

Though that is a little clunky what I liked about it is that the only notes that get synced are encrypted ones.  How would I achieve something similar with this new app?

Also another question,  once I encrypt a note there doesn't seem to be a way to decrypt it permanently, in a way that I could view it decrypted from the evernote app.

The app does tend to crash a lot and just close.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, dantonic said:

Ilia, is there a way in the new windows app to encrypt local notes and transfer to a regular notebook?

My use case with the previous version of saferoom was the following:

I scan my sensitive documents and they get automatically saved in a local scans folder.
I then use the tray app to encrypt and it creates encrypted copies to a regular notebook which is then synced to my evernote account.

Though that is a little clunky what I liked about it is that the only notes that get synced are encrypted ones.  How would I achieve something similar with this new app?

Also another question,  once I encrypt a note there doesn't seem to be a way to decrypt it permanently, in a way that I could view it decrypted from the evernote app.

The app does tend to crash a lot and just close.  

Hi, @dantonic,

TL:DR; It is Microsoft's fault :).

Long story: When we started building Saferoom for Desktop (the one in Microsoft Store), we were using relevant development technologies that Microsoft provided developer to transition to Microsoft Store (e.g. Windows 8 and 8.1) . Microsoft Apps that are part of Microsoft Store should be written using special IDE, there is no backward compatibility with previous IDE (it is crazy). But ok, we've knew that and we have finished the app. And once we started to integrate Saferoom Mini (the free version), Microsoft had changed everything - and introduced Universal Apps IDE with Windows 10. And guess what - no backward compatibility. Now all apps that there were written for MS Windows 8 and 8.1 are stuck with unmaintained modules and libraries which were not automatically transitioned to new platform. For example, we want to read a stream from a file (you do it when the file is too big) to decrypt it - sometimes we receive the stream, sometimes we don't. No one knows why, this library is abandoned. 

Now Saferoom 8.1 will have lots of bugs that we are solving but some of them are just random behaviour. We are rewriting it now for MS Windows 10, it will take time unfortunately. 

I clearly understand that this is not a user problem, I can only pledge for some patience. We had to pause macOS and Corporate versions of Saferoom to solve Windows issue. Your use case will be part of it.

>Also another question,  once I encrypt a note there doesn't seem to be a way to decrypt it permanently, in a way that I could view it decrypted from the evernote app.

I will check it separately, maybe we can fix it quickly.

Again, our apologies.

Cheers,

Ilia

• 5 months later...

Hey, 

After some quiet period we are back with some new things. We did some thinking about Saferoom's future because it was not clear where to move from today. When you are small, you need to focus, and this was an important break for us to recap our thoughts. Anyway, we are back into swing of things and here are some recent updates:

• New Windows app is almost finished (I will start publishing new videos). This will be a final Windows version including free version (with folders and off-line notebooks) (cc @dantonic). Windows version will also support separate files encryption.
  • Update is coming to iOS platform with a bit different UI - the first screen now becomes a list of notebooks and we will use tabs. We will check user feedback and implement the same change to Android.
  • macOS 2.0 version will be released in January-beginning of February for beta testing (I will create a signup form in first weeks).

And one more thing - for business we are advancing towards a new technology that allows us to control encrypted content access permissions. This will allow to create encrypted notes with access per user. Check out the video below:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

First of all, thank you for continually improving this app. Last year I reviewed the app and didn’t give it such a great review. However, I just updated my review and gave it five stars as it really has become more reliable and is constantly improved. 

Just reporting some issues with the latest update. 

1) Tabs are cut off at the bottom of iPhone X. See attached photo. 

2) The app becomes unresponsive when selecting a notebook and tapping the Edit button. See attached photo.

3) I have a kind of large .zip file (about 70mb) that doesn’t open when attempting to decrypt using the private link from Evernote.  It says “Loading note...” for a while and eventually just goes back to Evernote. However, decryption within Saferoom app works fine.

Issue persists with multiple notes that have large file sizes.

I understand that there may be some limitations of the Saferoom extension for file size imposed by iOS. Is it possible for it to simply open the note in Saferoom app. So just create a link that will open Saferoom app if file size is too large when opening from Evernote?

F863AD06-17DB-4090-8CD1-2392E20CDFA2.png

67F64909-E2BB-4F58-BB02-42C404C79323.png

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dudeman313 said:

Hello,

First of all, thank you for continually improving this app. Last year I reviewed the app and didn’t give it such a great review. However, I just updated my review and gave it five stars as it really has become more reliable and is constantly improved. 

Just reporting some issues with the latest update. 

1) Tabs are cut off at the bottom of iPhone X. See attached photo. 

2) The app becomes unresponsive when selecting a notebook and tapping the Edit button. See attached photo.

3) I have a kind of large .zip file (about 70mb) that doesn’t open when attempting to decrypt using the private link from Evernote.  It says “Loading note...” for a while and eventually just goes back to Evernote. However, decryption within Saferoom app works fine.

Issue persists with multiple notes that have large file sizes.

I understand that there may be some limitations of the Saferoom extension for file size imposed by iOS. Is it possible for it to simply open the note in Saferoom app. So just create a link that will open Saferoom app if file size is too large when opening from Evernote?

Hi, @dudeman313,

I am already fixing iPhone X layout issues. Will be ready next week (+ 1-2 days for Apple approval).

About zip files and extension - yes, there is a limitation by Apple. But Saferoom's fault is the user experience, so we will fix it. And thanks for the tip about the link to Saferoom when the file is big, I think we will do exactly like that. The only thing is that I wonder is Evernote API reveals the file size before the download...

Anyways, thanks a lot for your feedback, we are super happy!

Cheers,

Ilia

• 3 months later...
On 12/25/2017 at 4:16 AM, ilia5101982 said:

• Update is coming to iOS platform with a bit different UI - the first screen now becomes a list of notebooks and we will use tabs. We will check user feedback and implement the same change to Android.
  • macOS 2.0 version will be released in January-beginning of February for beta testing (I will create a signup form in first weeks).

Just curious about the status of the macOS 2.0 beta testing. Has this been opened up yet, or will it be made available soon? Looking forward to seeing the updated desktop experience.

• 1 month later...

Once you encrypt a file with Safe room, you can only edit it in Safe room?  I would like a search the note to find the passwords rather than scrolling down through everything.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

@ilia5101982 As of a few weeks ago I get a message saying "Login cancelled by user" when trying to use FaceID or TouchID on iOS via the extension from evernote. It seems as if TouchID works pretty reliably if I have my fingerprint on the home button before I switch to Saferoom to encrypt. If my fingerprint isnt already on the button it doesnt log me into Saferoom. Seems like issue is happens much more often with FaceID. Sometimes I have to try extension 4 times before FaceID works to let me into Saferoom. Any way to resolve this?

736E64BC-5787-4920-AD99-4E730D94DAD6.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

It doesn't work for me. I need to have exclusive access to my notes plus encryption. I can lose some search functionality, for example on encrypted notebooks I could only search notes title and should be nice, because nobody besides me should be able to access to my notes, I don't give other apps access to Evernote, I'm aware offline notes are unencrypted on all devices, etc. To me is clear Evernote is too unsecure and everything you build up on it is a patch who degrades functionality and/or privacy. Tired of waiting now.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, alexpc said:

It doesn't work for me. I need to have exclusive access to my notes plus encryption. I can lose some search functionality, for example on encrypted notebooks I could only search notes title and should be nice, because nobody besides me should be able to access to my notes, I don't give other apps access to Evernote, I'm aware offline notes are unencrypted on all devices, etc. To me is clear Evernote is too unsecure and everything you build up on it is a patch who degrades functionality and/or privacy. Tired of waiting now.

See responses to: 

- and please don't cross post.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

The saferoom website is still up and running, and they are marketing their product …

… however the icons showing in the dock of the web sites picture does not show a v10 icon.

You should ask them directly - and make sure they run on v10, not only on legacy.

• Like 1

The applications don't seem to have been updated in quite some time, so I'm thinking they are not going to work with any newer versions of Evernote (v10+). I have recommended Saferoom to others and now I'm sad to see another free application not monetize and go defunct. I messaged the developer with a link to this thread to see if they'll respond here with a definitive answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello! 

I am Ilia from Saferoom. Not sure why, but I was not getting any notifications about the forum activity but anyways.

The current status of Saferoom - it is alive but in induced coma. 

We have two major issues - Android and macOS apps. We slowly finishing the macOS app, but it takes time due to Apple's change to new processor, this requires more testing. This is encryption - we can't fail, not possible to restore. The workaround would be allow Saferoom to run as iOS app inside macOS. I will test this in coming weeks. Android is another story, we are looking for Android freelancer to fix some things there (all notes are still working fine, the issues is with UI).

Saferoom Windows - full support is available, if something doesn't work, just write on our website.

Saferoom iOS - full support is available. I am release the updated version this week. 

It is true that we don't have time to release a ton of new features, but the encryption works. We will fix bugs, but expanding functionality doesn't make any sense until we get financial support. 

I am strong believer in Saferoom and have a lot of ideas how to grow it but right now our focus is on another startup. once we deal with it, we will accelerate Saferoom. 

Additionally, as we are pure client based application, we don't have any servers, and Saferoom maintenance is quite simple. 

Thus, this is the status. The funny thing - I run a donation campaign for Saferoom, 0 donations. That tells you something.

Hence, if you have issues, or something is really annoying or not supported, just drop us a message using our website form, I will include it into roadmap or fix the bug. 

And one more thing - we will also release Saferoom API so you will be able to build encryption using Zapier, bubble or by yourself.

Cheers,

Ilia

Edited by ilia-saferoom
spelling corrections
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 1:51 AM, PinkElephant said:

@ilia-saferoom Hi, thanks for posting.

Does saferoom support the new version 10 generation of the EN clients ?

Hi!

Our app now works directly with Evernote Cloud bypassing any Evernote clients. We are a but stuck with macOS version due to M1 compilation issues. It will be solved soon. 

All other apps work with Evernote API thus removing any dependency on Evernote application.

Cheers!

• Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...