Notebook Stacks

Sark1s

Question about the notebook stacks feature.  I wanted to see if there is any way to further nest notebooks, at least one more level or if Evernote will allow us to do it in future updates?  I use Evernote for my personal and business life and want to be able to organize better because it can get a bit unorganized and easily too, even though I still use tags.  If anyone has any tips or advice about how to do this or ways to better organize my Evernote account it would be greatly appreciated.  Anything helps.  Thank you.

Hi Sark1s - I don't have an answer but I do have the same requirement - I wish to stack within existing notebook stacks. If anyone @Evernote can advise on plans to develop this functionality  (or techniques how to do this in the current version) it would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Level 5*

There's no way to nest Stacks - much discussed if you search the Forums - but you can 'stack' (nest) tags as much as you like,  which seems to me to be pretty much the same thing.  Just tag the note with the name of the (virtual) notebook you would like it to inhabit.

There are some important basics:

> Don't have spaces in tags;  use_an_underline or-a-hyphen
> You can't have two tags with the same name,  so to have 'documents' in both Work and Home 'virtual folders',  use w-documents and h-documents
> Avoid caps - it makes searching faster and keeps all tags in the same alpha order

Evernote on tags -
https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/12/10/use-tags-organize-evernote/

Jamie Todd Rubin's tags -
http://www.jamierubin.net/2014/07/29/going-paperless-how-i-simplified-my-tag-organization-in-evernote-part-2/

jbenson2 on nesting...
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23514-organizing-tags-subtags-parent-tags-and-child-tags/?p=337967

• Level 5*

Hierarchical Tags have one very important difference with sub-Stacks or sub-Notebooks.

Selecting or Searching for a parent Tag does NOT find Notes with only the child Tags.

Whereas, with sub-Notebooks, like sub-folders on our PC/Mac, selecting a parent NB (or Folder) would include all child NBs and Notes.

It seems to me that Evernote could remedy this Tag deficiency simply by slightly modifying the Search syntax/grammar.

For more details and examples of this search, see EN Search -- Change Search Grammar to Include Child Tags of Specified Parent Tag

• Level 5*

Question about the notebook stacks feature.  I wanted to see if there is any way to further nest notebooks, at least one more level or if Evernote will allow us to do it in future updates?  I use Evernote for my personal and business life and want to be able to organize better because it can get a bit unorganized and easily too, even though I still use tags.  If anyone has any tips or advice about how to do this or ways to better organize my Evernote account it would be greatly appreciated.  Anything helps.  Thank you.

The canon:

* A note belong to exactly one notebook

* A notebooks belongs to no more than one stack (0 or 1); notebooks cannot contain other notebooks

* A stack contains one or more notebooks; they cannot contain notes or other stacks

* Tags may be applied to multiple notes, but not to notebooks or stacks; conversely, a note may have multiple tags. Your tags may be organized by nesting, but that nesting is not recognized in any search/filtering operations in Evernote. Tags are expressive in terms of their ability to be combined with other tags; the ability to do so allows you to create organization across different notebooks and other tag organizations; You may also use wildcards on the end of tag names in searches to capture notes that have tags with a similar prefix; some Evernote users use this property to express hierarchy.

The canon:

* A note belong to exactly one notebook

* A notebooks belongs to no more than one stack (0 or 1); notebooks cannot contain other notebooks

* A stack contains one or more notebooks; they cannot contain notes or other stacks

* Tags may be applied to multiple notes, but not to notebooks or stacks; conversely, a note may have multiple tags. Your tags may be organized by nesting, but that nesting is not recognized in any search/filtering operations in Evernote. Tags are expressive in terms of their ability to be combined with other tags; the ability to do so allows you to create organization across different notebooks and other tag organizations; You may also use wildcards on the end of tag names in searches to capture notes that have tags with a similar prefix; some Evernote users use this property to express hierarchy.

I would love to understand this convention.... seems ridiculously limiting for no reason than to mimic real life notebooks. And yet in real life I "stack" stuff however I like. Multiple stacks is not something that should be tied to some out-dated mantra. It's a usability issue. Evernote is about organization and any tool that would aid that should be used. Evernote has been slow as hell on improvements for a while and as a paying member for prob 2+ years I'm getting frustrated. I literally need nested stacks to keep up with my work.  :angry:

Give me 1 good reason that nested stacks should not be implemented. 

Give me 1 good reason that nested stacks should not be implemented. 

Because Evernote hasn't wanted to??

...nice try.

I said 'good'.

I seriously doubt anyone at evernote reads these forums anyways. People have just been yelling at the evernote wall for like 2 years about nested stacks. They continue to ignore. I know evernote thinks they're too big to fail but all it will take is some young startup to come along and mimic their core features while improving a bit of the UX. I'd move on in a heart beat. I have a few other gripes as well but I'll save them for the proper threads. 

It's really ridiculous for a company to ignore a feature that has been requested for years. Also a feature that is common place in any file organization methodology. Common place. When you use stacks for the first time, your initial reaction is to nest stacks. 

Ok...rant over. Back to my crappy un-nested stacks.

• Level 5*

It's a good enough reason for me, as I understand the software vs. user dynamic: if it doesn't have features that I need, then I don't use it.

Actually, all posts are read by Evernote staff, they just don't respond to everything, and this being a pretty well-worn topic (which you could explore in more depth if you wanted to search the forums), they probably don't have much further to say on the topic. They just don't appear to want to use arbitrarily nestable stack / notebook structures for organization of notes, and they're willing to let users figure out whether that's acceptable or not. For many it is, and probably for many it isn't. 

When that "young startup" comes along, then we'll see. Hasn't happened so far; and there's a lengthy topic elsewhere on the forums about viable alternatives. So far, nothing conclusive.

You might note that another company, Google, uses a similar model to the one that Evernote uses (tags) in GMail (labels). Seems to be working for them.

Archived