Evernote is ruining Evernote

As an early adopter, am I the only one who thinks this once sleek productivity tool now drives like a bag lady's shopping cart?

Every two weeks, I am distracted by a flow-interrupting popup announcing a new upgrade.  Lo and behold, a new feature I do not want.  The latest?  A chat function, something every platform seems to adds when they can't think of anything else to do.  As if there weren't enough ways already to chat -- e-mail, texting, skype, facebook, salesforce, trillian and pidgin.  Do we really need another one?

But the real annoyance?  Interface clutter.  In the View options, there are now no less than 8 options.  I care about 1) Notes, 2) Notebooks and 3) Tags.  Why I would spend screen real estate to remind me I am a Premium member or a friggin' Atlas to tell me I am sitting at my desk at the office, I have no idea.  And the busy toolbar?  I keep dragging junk off of it ("Activity"? "Sync"?  -- I thought automatic background saves meant I didn't have to worry about that!), but after a few upgrades, new junk creeps in -- "New Chat"  -- "User" --  Do people *really* need the ability to switch users at a moment's notice?

And why does it take a dozen pokes at my iphone to get to the page I want?  I want to search notes.  I want to search tags.  I want to write a new note.  That's it.  Don't make me riffle through a skeuomorphed logjam hunting for these basic functions.  Just put a drop menu at the top to go directly there and be done.  I really don't care about searching by location or starting a chat.  I'm on a phone.  I have Google Maps and iMessage.

Evernote take note -- I am now spending a lot of time with a new girl named Workflowy who knows how to cut through the nonsense and get work done.  If our relationship is going to continue, you better get your act together, because I am sick of your ___.

check out this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66103-power-user-discontent-best-alternatives-to-en/

I myself am switching back to OneNote after almost 8 paid-subscription (often on 2-3 accounts) years of using Evernote dozens to hundreds of times per day.  Evernote has managed to un-make itself from being indispensable.  Lucky for them that I didn't notice that improvement will continue to get farther and farther away from second-class citizens... er I mean those not rich enough to afford apple devices... and that features will continue to disappear or cease functioning and never return.

That's a good thread. Thanks, V. 

A lot of people seem to be recommending OneNote.  I've played with it a few times, but I don't mesh well with everything being nested boxes.  In Workflowy, everything is nested outlines, which seems to match my brain better.  Unfortunately, it doesn't support images or even much formatting yet, but it is practically frictionless to navigate without your hands leaving the keyboard.

I use nested tags in Evernote to get a similar outline effect, but Evernote seems to view it as an afterthought.  Only the desktop client supports nesting, and it doesn't integrate well.  For instance, if I click New Note, I expect it to populate the tag field with the currently selected nested tags.  Instead I have to manually pin every note into the tag tree.  Tedious.

• Level 5*

I myself am switching back to OneNote after almost 8 paid-subscription (often on 2-3 accounts) years of using Evernote dozens to hundreds of times per day.  Evernote has managed to un-make itself from being indispensable.  Lucky for them that I didn't notice that improvement will continue to get farther and farther away from second-class citizens... er I mean those not rich enough to afford apple devices... and that features will continue to disappear or cease functioning and never return.

Evernote continues to work well for me, mainly a Windows user, with some Android and web access as well. I use Evernote pretty much daily, across two accounts, and I haven't suffered any loss of functionality for my use case, nor are there any features in other clients that cause me to suffer from Apple-envy.  Nothing's indispensable, but I haven't seen any other product that would cause me to want to undertake a conversion of my notes and my workflow, and the referenced thread hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise.

So which specific features are there in other Evernote clients that you feel you are lacking for your purposes?

Archived