(Archived) Evernote for N97 Beta Thread (Discontinued)

Hey folks -

It's been a long time coming but we finally have a beta version of Evernote for Nokia. This version uses the Nokia Web Runtime framework and is targeted at the N97 running S60. We want to work out the kinks before publishing it more broadly. We encourage savvy users to give it a try and provide feedback.

You can download the prerelease version at:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/ ... seNokiaWRT

This version allows users to create notes and snapshots offline as well as easily access the mobile JavaScript web interface for note searching and browsing.

Please send reports to:nokia-preview@evernote.com

Edited

Initial impressions are that it looks good and is going to be better than accessing the mobile site but I do have some concerns:

How do I officially quit it? There's no exit button so I just use the red end button

It's a little sluggish which I guess is due to using the widget framework rather than it being a native application. This is a tad disappointing. It's also jarring to keep OKing all the prompts on startup. Again, a limit of the widget framework.

Does it store notes for offline viewing? I haven't had a chance to try yet but I fear it won't....

Initial impressions are that it looks good and is going to be better than accessing the mobile site but I do have some concerns:

How do I officially quit it? There's no exit button so I just use the red end button

It's a little sluggish which I guess is due to using the widget framework rather than it being a native application. This is a tad disappointing. It's also jarring to keep OKing all the prompts on startup. Again, a limit of the widget framework.

Does it store notes for offline viewing? I haven't had a chance to try yet but I fear it won't....

I believe the official way of quitting apps on N97 is using the red end button like you did.

The build you tried is expected to be a little sluggish but it should improve in the release candidate. The annoying prompts on startup are indeed a framework limitation, but I believe that you're only prompted once - when you first start the app; and I am hoping that Nokia will improve that in the future.

The app does not store notes for offline viewing at the moment...

Currently trying this out on an RM-505 N97 running 20.0.019 software, on the UK Vodafone network.

I like it so far: it looks slick, I can see all the detail of all the notes I've created elsewhere using the PC app.

Some questions:

* New notes - new snapshot/new audio don't seem to be functional yet?

Comments:

* WLAN access - doesn't work for me - I can only connect via 3G access on the phone. The access point I use works fine for other net access from the N97?

* Takes a long time to view the images folder to add an image file

/Simon

hey guys, i have been waiting for a version for 5800, but then today i saw this beta for n97. i was so happy. the app is a lil big in size (may be coz its designed for n97). Anyway, it works well

the first page gives me the option to add text note, snapshot, audio or file. apparently snapshot n audio recording seems not to work. but i still like it. Coz i have a mac and i can now sync my notes and other things well. Its a lil slow, but not a big deal. i think i can use this until an app comes out. thank u evernote ppl.

I have installed the application on my 5800 (same OS) and have the following comments:

The first time it ran great but now when I start it it crashes after it connects to the network. I will restart my phone and see what happens then. The app is installed on my memory card.

Why doesn't it remember my login?

Hello,

It is a great news, however, S60 3rd edition is not so old and many business devices like E series uses it. So, Evernote, c'mon, please make Evernote also for 3rd edition, it may boost your downloads definitively! Many business phone owners will be happy, including me. N97 and N900 are pretty new devices and not exactly for business owners - at least in Nokia's meaning. So, any chance?

Thank you so much for this. I have this widget on my 5800 and, once I realized that it was quirky unless installed in phone memory, it is a wonderful and pretty stable app. It is a joy to use. I have now downloaded the Windows version of Evernote, have the extension in Firefox and now finally realize why so many people are Evernote crazy. Thanks! Please keep up development on this.

It's great to see that you are close to supporting the N97 (and presumably other Symbian devices, with time).

I wanted to use Evernote but when I looked at the website it appeared that you only supported iPhone, Blackberry, and Palm (I can understand the iPhone and the BB, but Palm?). I almost gave up on Evernote. Now that I see Symbian in the works I will start trying Evernote on Windows.

I would suggest that you indicate on your website that Symbian and Android are in the works. Your support of iPhone and Mac, and lack of any mention of Symbian and Android made me think that maybe you were going after that niche (i.e. most Windows users are using Onenote so you were going to focus on Mac/iPhone users).

Thanks for the feedback. When we release support for a platform, we'll announce it and add it to the main web site (e.g. Android was released today: http://blog.evernote.com/2009/12/16/eve ... -its-here/)

The Nokia N97 (Web RunTime) version is still in beta testing, so isn't yet supported or officially announced. When we launch it and start supporting it, we'll publicize it more widely.

Hey folks,

An update is now available for our forthcoming beta release of Evernote for Nokia N97.

You can download the new version at:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseNokiaWRT

This release addresses many of the issues and provides many improvements, including:

* improved sync

* better startup performance

* corrected issue with duplicate menu bar

* added tag completion when entering tags in the editor using hardware keyboard

* fixed issue with notes failing to upload on first try

* fixed issue with prompting for user/pass when accessing note list

* fixed issue with application crashing at startup after being prompted for Network Access

* fixed issue with application crashing when the device cannot provide network channel

* fixed issue with application crashing when it's backgrounded by cell provider's TOS system popup

* fixed issue with suspending application in some cases

Please note that Evernote for Nokia utilizes Nokia's APIBridge. Without APIBridge you will not be able to make Snapshot, Voice or File notes. We're currently working on packaging our application together with APIBridge, but in the meantime, you would have to download APIBridge separately from here: http://developer.nokia.com/info/sw.noki ... ridge.html

Please send reports to:nokia-preview@evernote.com,

Enjoy

Hey folks,

An update is now available for our forthcoming beta release of Evernote for Nokia N97.

This release addresses many of the issues and provides many improvements, including:

* fixed issue with signing out

* performance improvements with note browser

* added Exit button to Settings, making it possible to exit the application via UI

* improved stability

Please note that Evernote for Nokia utilizes Nokia's APIBridge. Without APIBridge you will not be able to make Snapshot, Voice or File notes. We're currently working on packaging our application together with APIBridge, but in the meantime, you would have to download APIBridge separately from here: http://developer.nokia.com/info/sw.noki ... ridge.html

Enjoy

I just tried this on my 5800 and I get a logo screen,no logon boxes and nothing further happens.I went back to 66157, the original beta and it works fine. Now I did skip the update in between, 68401, because I was out of town.

I did download and install APIbridge.

Anyone else run into problems on the 5800?

I just tried this on my 5800 and I get a logo screen,no logon boxes and nothing further happens.I went back to 66157, the original beta and it works fine. Now I did skip the update in between, 68401, because I was out of town.

I did download and install APIbridge.

Anyone else run into problems on the 5800?

Exact same problem, loads to a logo screen with the version number. Stuck on that screen not able to continue past it.

I'm using a N97 and can't even run the app. I was using the first beta previously and that worked. After updating and installing the APIBridge, the application starts, asks for permissions to access multimedia, etc. After asking and granting permission to access the network it crashes.

Hey folks,

This release provides the following fixes/improvements:

* fixed issue introduced in the previous release making it impossible for some people to start the app

* significantly improved startup time

* improved sign-out/exit functionality

* better handling of application suspend/resume

* better handling of auto updates

Enjoy

Works, except of the following:

- rather slow

- crashes sometimes (not very often)

- some note uploads fail (with an xhtml error (page not found, ... 404)

what needs to be done:

- get rid of the annoying startup confirmations! they have to be accepted every time you start the app (access data and allow connection) - there are plenty of apps from 3rd party developers which DO NOT need to be authorized every appstart

- increase boot-time

- offline note storage

- increase overall speed

thanks for the app!

- get rid of the annoying startup confirmations! they have to be accepted every time you start the app (access data and allow connection) - there are plenty of apps from 3rd party developers which DO NOT need to be authorized every appstart

This isn't possible with the WRT framework the application is built using, you have to go through the security checks. The the other apps you're referring to are probably native S60 applications which don't have the same restrictions.

Good time of day.

I have a question on this application. Run the application and waited for some time, I see the page is welcomed on which I shall give their credentials, but at this moment the application is shut down and reset. :(

I shall be grateful if you help fix this problem. Used phone Nokia E90. :?

This isn't possible with the WRT framework the application is built using, you have to go through the security checks. The the other apps you're referring to are probably native S60 applications which don't have the same restrictions.

Not sure if this the same, but the WRT ComingNext accesses the builtin calendar on the N97 (among others) and only asks permission for this once (during install if I'm correct). So it seems possible. Code is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/comingnext/

Hey folks,

This release provides the following fixes/improvements:

* fixed issue with note upload resulting in a popup with HTML response

* improving upload queue operations

* fixing issue with unsync'd notes not re-uploading upon app restart

* fixing issue with disappearing geo-location of notes that didn't get to sync before app termination

Please note that Evernote for Nokia utilizes Nokia's APIBridge. Without APIBridge you will not be able to make Snapshot, Voice or File notes. We're currently working on packaging our application together with APIBridge, but in the meantime, you would have to download APIBridge separately from here:

http://developer.nokia.com/info/sw.noki ... ridge.html

Enjoy

Not sure if this the same, but the WRT ComingNext accesses the builtin calendar on the N97 (among others) and only asks permission for this once (during install if I'm correct). So it seems possible. Code is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/comingnext/

As JayTay pointed out - WRT widgets are subject to these security inquiries (at application startup) and there's nothing that can be done form that point of view. However, since we're also going to be bundling our application with APIBridge, it will be distributed as a signed SIS package. Which means that you shouldn't be prompted with those security inquiries as you normally would with WRT. Unfortunately there's been a bit of a set back with getting this package out to you all, but, please, bear with us, as we're working on resolving that issue as soon as possible.

--> no, I can't... the app doesn't recognize that there's a new version available...

Thanks for letting us know. It looks like the check for new version was getting cached. The fix will be included in next post...

Hey folks,

This is a quick update fixing a problem with identifying new updates. You should be able to check for new updates manually from the Account View; and the app automatically checks once a day for new updates...

As usual, please send reports to: nokia-preview@evernote.com

To all above,

try to uninstall the old version before you install the new update. Whenever I overwrote the older versions, I had problems. But now, I always uninstall older versions before installing new versions and they work fine. Even if you have already overwritten the new app, its OKay!...just uninstall it and install the new version,

The Evernote widget does not work on the 5800. After entering username and password, the widget asks for which access point to use, and then just closes. No error message or any indication of what might be wrong. I have tried several times. This is the first time I have installed the widget, so it can't be related to not properly uninstalling previous version. I have not installed the APIBridge stuff I saw mentioned for the previous builld, could that be the reason?

Have tried it a little bit, and I guess it's OK for a first attempt at an S60 Evernote client, but unfortunately it's not good enough to stay on my 5800.

Here is what should be done:

- Make it a proper S60 application, so we don't have to allow access to data and network each time we start the application.

- Make it able to remember Evernote credentials, so we don't have to log on each time.

- Make it able to store notes on the phone, and synchronise to Evernote server when user wants to.

- Which memory to store offline notes in should be selectable by user.

- User should be able to select primary and secondary access points.

- User should be able to select which notes to download from server. Initially, just download title and tags, just like e-mail apps initially only download sender and subject.

- Improve stability. I experienced several crashes during my 15 minutes of testing.

- Improve performance. Now, the widget is very slow.

- Allow user to select keyboard type to use on 5800. Now I can only use the alphanumeric keyboard, selecting others doesn't work.

Keep up the good work! I'll stay updated on progress for this app, and I hope it will soon incorporate some or all of my wishes.

- Make it a proper S60 application, so we don't have to allow access to data and network each time we start the application.

We'll be distributing our app together with APIBridge in a single SIS package. That should take care of any problems associated with APIBridge and the annoying security popups...

- Make it able to remember Evernote credentials, so we don't have to log on each time.

You would have to enter your credentials after re-installation of the app because once it's removed/overwritten, any related information such as your credentials are lost. I don't know of any (secure) way to preserve those credentials between installs...

- Make it able to store notes on the phone, and synchronise to Evernote server when user wants to.

Using Activity screen, you can pause submission of notes and resume it at a later time.

- Allow user to select keyboard type to use on 5800. Now I can only use the alphanumeric keyboard, selecting others doesn't work.

It would be helpful to hear what exactly is slow with the widget? Startup time? UI reaction? Takes too long to sync over air/wifi? I am using N97 and not seeing any unusual slow downs, but I will do some thorough testing on 5800 and hopefully resolve the mentioned keyboard issue.

Thanks for taking the time to test and expressing your concerns...

We'll be distributing our app together with APIBridge in a single SIS package. That should take care of any problems associated with APIBridge and the annoying security popups...

Good.

You would have to enter your credentials after re-installation of the app because once it's removed/overwritten, any related information such as your credentials are lost. I don't know of any (secure) way to preserve those credentials between installs...

I understand having to enter credentials after a re-install, that's OK. I'm talking about having to enter credentials each time I start the application. Now it's Start Evernote -> Enter credentials -> Use -> Close Evernote -> Start Evernote -> Enter credentials -> ...

It's the second (and third and fourth...) "Enter credentials" I don't like.

Using Activity screen, you can pause submission of notes and resume it at a later time.

OK, I did not know that. That helps a bit. But what if I create a note, pause submission, and close the application. Will the note be there when I start it again?

It would be helpful to hear what exactly is slow with the widget? Startup time? UI reaction? Takes too long to sync over air/wifi? I am using N97 and not seeing any unusual slow downs, but I will do some thorough testing on 5800 and hopefully resolve the mentioned keyboard issue.

The startup time is fine, but the UI reaction is slow. The application takes a long time to react when navigating, e.g. using the bottom tabs.

Regarding keyboard selection, a new firmware version was just released for the 5800, which has auto-switching of keyboard when you turn the phone to horizontal position. Maybe that solves the problem for you.

Thanks for taking the time to test and expressing your concerns...

No problem, thanks for making the application :-)

I did an upgrade on my 5800 yesterday (firmware version v40...) and can say that the speed improved!

I also cannot reproduce Michaels problem with having to login each time I start the app - I entered my credentials upon installation and it still works.

Is there any ETA on the SIS packaged version of the app?

The "search nearby" feature is by the way not working on my 5800 - could there be a coincidence with the "on demand" functionality of the 5800's gps? maybe you have to explicitly trigger the gps for positioning.. (but that feature is not very important to me, so there is no priority on it from my side).

having said this, my clear developing priority list would be:

SIS package!!

further stability improvements

offline usage

performance

"header only" note download in the overview

thanks for your effort!

I did an upgrade on my 5800 yesterday (firmware version v40...) and can say that the speed improved!

I also cannot reproduce Michaels problem with having to login each time I start the app - I entered my credentials upon installation and it still works.

I also upgraded my 5800 yesterday. I tried installing Evernote again, but it crashed when logging on. I un-installed and re-installed, and was able to log on. The keyboard problem is gone, when I turn the phone to horizontal position, I get the full QWERTY keyboard. Evernote performance was also improved. But when I closed Evernote and started it again, it seemed to try to log on, and then crashed. Even after several attempts, I was not able to start it again. So, unfortunately, I had to remove it once again. I'll try again when an update is released.

Can someone help me with installation instructions please

Are you having problems with installation or simply seeking instructions on how to install?

Just need installation instructions. I normally just use a .sis file to insall but I don't see one anywhere in the zip file.

Zip File? After installing API Bridge just transfer the wgz file to your phone and execute it, the installer will launch.

When I click the link at the top of the forum, a zip file is downloaded. I don't know where to go after that. I already have API Bridge installed on my N97. I dont see a WGZ file in the download noted above.

Then there's something wrong with your browser... I put the file online for you: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/348398/Evernote_70302.wgz

I must be doing something wrong, when i click your link, it downloads the same file as the op posted. I get a zip folder evernote_70302. When I open the folder, I have a folder entitled nokiaWRT_uiLibs.evernote. Inside that folder are several more items. I transferred the whole folder via mass media transfer and I still can not find the wgz file to install. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Zip File? After installing API Bridge just transfer the wgz file to your phone and execute it, the installer will launch.
When I click the link at the top of the forum, a zip file is downloaded. I don't know where to go after that. I already have API Bridge installed on my N97. I dont see a WGZ file in the download noted above.
Nokia PC Suite or Ovi Suite should recognise a .wgz file as Widget installation file, just as it recognises a .sis file as a native application installer, or a .jar file as a Java app installer.

Julie

Then there's something wrong with your browser... I put the file online for you: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/348398/Evernote_70302.wgz
I must be doing something wrong, when i click your link, it downloads the same file as the op posted. I get a zip folder evernote_70302.
I suspect that your Windows system believes that .wgz files are containers (which they probably are, but Windows isn't supposed to think so). Try right clicking on the downloaded file and choose Open With ... Nokia Application installer (and if you do it via "Choose program", you can tick the "Always use the selected program for this type of file" box to make it work properly in future).

thank you cdab and juwlz. I did the save as and added the wgz extension and then opened with Nokia app installer and it worked. It is now sitting on mass memory with me logged in. Hopefully I will have some time to try it out this weekend. May have to Hard Reset the N97 again. C drive is getting down below 16mb again.

Regarding "email logfile" -> any chances to send the mail via mail for exchange and not only via built in nokia messaging?

as i only use mfe and not the nokia mail service on my device i'm therefore not able to email logs... which makes debugging kind of hard.. ;()

It would be useful to be able to simply Save the logfile, or to be able to access it without using the Evernote UI - that way it could be emailed using a PC too, if required. (I only use gMail on my N97.)

I have one bug (reported via the official email address) which prevents me from ever getting to the UI, and the log would presumably show where it's hanging ... if only I could get at it. The log appears to be reset each time you start a new Evernote session.

Julie

I sent the following feedback via the "proper" email address, but haven't had a response, so am posting here, with a few minor additions and clarifications.

to nokia-preview@evernote.com

date Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM

subject Feedback and bug report (Evernote on Nokia N97)

This report relates to my experience with the Evernote widget with the setup below:

Nokia N97, Firmware v20 (20.0.019 13-10-09)

1.0 (70302)

UK English

Firstly, thank you for the work you've done so far on the Evernote app for Symbian. I appreciate that they're not popular in the US, but Symbian phones do have a very large installed base in Europe, so thanks.

I'm glad to see that the intention is for Evernote to become a native app. Although the widget does now save my login details, it'll still be good not to have to separately confirm with three extra button presses that Evernote is allowed access to my

• [*:1wod027x]multimedia files
    [*:1wod027x]phone data, and
    [*:1wod027x]network

... every time I want to use it. Also, the standard "hold shift to copy / paste" feature doesn't work in Evernote, so I'm assuming this is a widget limitation.

First impressions

Once past the frustrations of not being able to sign in to Forum Nokia with Firefox to get the API bridge (which is hardly your fault!) the installation of Evernote went smoothly.

Overall, I like the implementation. However, there are (inevitably with any new app, I think) a few annoying quirks, some (important) missing features, and some out-and-out bugs ;-).

The first thing that struck me when I looked at my existing notes was that there is no way to see a list of my notebooks (although they ARE listed when creating a new note), and therefore no way to easily filter only for notes in that notebook.

The second disappointment was that there is no list of tags, or auto-completion of tags, either for searching or for tagging new notes. I can never remember exactly what tags I've used before, and I'd like to be able to access the metadata I've already applied unambiguously, and to tag new notes consistently - a feature I use heavily in the Windows 3.5 UI.

These are two things that I'd really like to see in future versions.

User Interface

There are some other UI quirks that I've found and would like to see addressed:

1. I'm getting the hang of what will and won't work with the D-pad on the N97's keyboard, but some things could make it a bit easier. e.g. in Notes list view, I can use L/R to switch between the list of notes and the Menu/New/Notes/Activity/Account buttons, and Up/Down to get to the previous/next note or button, but Down in the button context sometimes also scrolls down the notes (without selecting one), and if the "current" context is selected, there's no way to tell that it is. Buttons for the non-current view turn green when hi-lighted, but the current view's button remains stubbornly diagonally striped grey, so you can't tell where the cursor is if that button is selected. How about turning it diagonally striped green instead?

The search box is displayed as if it was a note, (i.e. at the top of a scrolling page), making it difficult to get to in a hurry if you've scrolled to the bottom of a page of notes, not found what you want, and then want to search. There needs to be a quick way command to get to the search box instantly. It also seems unintuitive that some of the Search options (e.g. Search nearby) are ONLY available in the New section (which is the last place I'd expect to find search at all). How about adding Search and Advanced Search to the Menu?

Similarly, the Next> button/link is at the top of the page, and you're much more likely to want it when you've scrolled to the bottom of the page and not found what you're looking for.

Within an opened note, the D-pad doesn't do anything (it jumps to the buttons instead). The only way to scroll through the note is to use the trouchscreen. This will have to be fixed for non-touch devices, so it'd be good to see it working on the N97 too.

When returning to a (presumed) unchanged list of notes from an open note, Evernote sometimes (and now I'm trying, I can't reproduce it!; ah - it just did it coming back to Notes List from Account) greys out all the notes while it's "Loading". Could this be done in the background, and the list be updated only if something has changed?

I'd like to see the button selection "go round the loop". If I use Down on the D-pad at the bottom of the buttons, it does nothing, but I least it's easy to see that the Account is button is selected (as long as I'm not in the Account section so that it's grey). At the top, it's less easy to tell that the Search / Menu / Exit button (according to context) is selected. It would be good for the buttons to be considered a loop rather than a line, so that pressing Down from Account would select Search/Menu/Exit, and pressing Up from Search/Menu/Exit would select Account. That way, the Up/Down arrow always does something that the eye can follow.

Using the Red button is considered the "dirty" way to exit an application - although some developers choose to redefine the red button to hide the application (send it to the background). An Exit and/or Hide button should be available from the Menu on all views, rather than being a replacement for the Menu button in the Account view.

When creating a new note in landscape mode (including switching from portrait to landscape view), the default is to hide the Notebook and Tags field (and file field if used). I'd like an option to display these by default (otherwise I often forget to complete them ... but I know that others will prefer just to make the note and move to notebooks and add the metadata later). Also, is there any reason why I can't see the text content of a note at the same time as the Notebook name and Tags when creating a new note, as you can in portrait mode? How about displaying the Notebook name and file name side-by-side to reduce vertical space, and allowing at least a small text box for note entry without resorting to the "Less" button? It's particularly frustrating to see wasted grey "background" space at the bottom of the screen that could just as easily (and more usefully) have been the text box.

Enhancement requests

I'd like an "advanced" search, in which I can select existing notebooks, tags, etc. - preferably using a combination of drop-down lists and auto-complete. (i.e. the dropdown list reduces to only those options that match what I've typed so far, and auto-complete fills in the most likely option). And this advanced search should be available from the Notes and Notes list views, rather than the New Notes view. (By using saved searches, I can see that a search can be specified using "notebook:" and "tag:", but that's a lot of typing and is prone to spelling errors, especially on phones without a QWERTY keyboard.)

Could we have a way to Save a search please? The search available from New notes has a Search Nearby button, and access to existing saved searches, but no way to save a search (so specifically you can't use the tip I've heard on the podcasts to save a "Nearby" search and be able to use that to search for notes around the same location back on a PC).

I know it's been requested before, but implementation of one or more local notebooks for my Smartphone would mean I could still access my shopping list inside a Supermarket with no network access! (As soon as the startup bug below is fixed, of course.)

Evernote is the sort of application that should be able to run in the background all the time, ready to capture information, so should have appropriate synchronisation options (frequency / on startup only / manual only / in response to local changes) to cater for those who only want to sync over WiFi, for instance. It should also have a Sync Now button (in the Account view).

Attaching a file is very slow while Evernote collates the files to choose from. Some sort of indication that it hasn't hung would be good ;-). (btw, if I had the premium version, would Evernote be able to attach files other than photos and recordings in the Symbian app?)

Are there any plans for a Symbian Clipper? It would be good to be able to clip tweets (OK, I know I can retweet those to @myen), web pages, text messages, screenshots, etc.

Bugs

1. Sometimes on startup, Evernote just hangs with the elephant logo and its green background screen and version number displayed. I'm not sure, but I THINK that it's when it can't get a network connection and therefore can't sync. Even if I can't access my existing notes on the network in this situation, I'd still like to be able to create new notes.

2. In Notes list view, pressing the Menu button often buzzes to show that the button has been pressed, but it does nothing. I can usually recover access to the Menu by selecting a note and then returning to the Notes list and tapping on Menu again.

Kind regards

Julie

Hi, Julie or anyone on this forum:

Trying to install Evernote on my N97. I have the file unzip and sitting on my desktop but I can't find or transfer the .wgz file to Nokia application installer. I even clicked on the direct link you provided in a previous response to another user, but the link is no longer active.

I think I must be missing something obvious. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Ken

Trying to install Evernote on my N97. I have the file unzip and sitting on my desktop but I can't find or transfer the .wgz file to Nokia application installer. I even clicked on the direct link you provided in a previous response to another user, but the link is no longer active.
There isn't anything to unzip (the .wgz file may in reality BE a zip file, but you need to treat it as a file to do the installation).

From your description, you have already donwloaded the .wgz file - unless I've misunderstood you. What are you using to transfer the .wgz file? PC Suite? Ovi Suite? Bluetooth? And what happens when you try?

Julie

Hi, Juwlz:

Thanks for your reply. It seems that when I download the file, it adds a .zip extension to it. I tried to remove it the extension before saving the file, but it still re-added it.

I've been using Nokia Application Installer, and for whatever reason it won't let me drag the file or transfer it to my phone.

I'm really puzzled. Is there not a SIS file somewhere? As the previous user mentioned, it's usually how I install new apps.

Thanks.

No, there's no SIS file (the current Evernote for Symbian is a Widget (.wgz), not a native (.sis) app.)

The only thing I can think of is to change the option in Windows to show known file extensions and to change this from .zip to .wgz once you've downloaded the file; in XP, you can do this by going to My Documents (or any other folder), then choosing Tools | Folder Options, select the View tab, and find "Hide extensions for known file types" (at the bottom of the first page on my system) and remove the tick.

Alternatively (and this would prevent problems with other widget downloads in the future), change the action in your browser (whatever you're using) to download .wgz files without interfering with them ;-).

Julie

Hi, Jowlz:

Thanks so much! I changed the extension and I was able to drag the file over to my phone using PC Suite. Wow, that was quite the ordeal! I look forward to trying Evernote on my phone, but as a suggestion, I think it would be helpful to make the installation as easy as possible for ordinary mortals like me to install this great software. Otherwise, there will be many folks who will just not bother to try this hard. :(

Thanks again. :)

Ken

I couldn't find the .wgz file in the zip file.

Please help me....

Renamed the .zip to .wgz and works fine!

Thanks!

That's because there never really WAS a zip file - it was presumably your browser that insisted on adding the .zip extension. The .wgz file isn't CONTAINED in the zip file; it **IS** the zip file, and that's why renaming it worked for you.

The problem seems to be that .wgz files are themselves really containers, so I assume that whatever browser you're using gets too darned clever for its own good, and insists on giving the download a .zip extension. If it would just leave well alone, everything would be just fine. There may be a browser setting you can change to stop this from happening. (I use Firefox, and never had the problem at all, so I'm guessing it's an IE / Chrome issue.)

By renaming the file to remove the .zip, (and/or replace it with .wgz, depending on whether the browser's "helpful" renaming replaced it or appended .zip onto the end of it), you end up with the file name you should have got in the first place, before the browser interfered.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have found a couple more bugs with the Symbian Widget for Evernote, and have a question about locally created notes.

1. Saved Search brings up incorrect results

I have a number of saved searches, but if I go to New Notes (as an aside, WHY is Saved Searches accessed from the NEW notes section, when by definition you're searching for existing notes?), and select saved searches, and then select a search, the results I get back are always for the same search (which happens to be the last one alphabetically in my list, but may possibly also be the first one I created chronologically). Once in the search results page, if I then use the Menu to choose Saved Searches and the search I want from this menu, I get the correct results. Seems to me you could make the whole problem go away simply by making Saved Searches a menu option in the Notes section, and take away the separate Saved Searches button in the New Notes search page.

2. Unable to sync new notes made on the phone

I had 3 notes that Evernote said it was unable to sync (Error 500). At that time I went to Activity, and Paused syncing.

Yesterday, I created some more notes (mostly photo notes, plus one text note). Having unpaused the syncing, Evernote says it has 6 notes to sync (which excludes the 3 that previously failed to sync), but fails to sync them. Each time I restart the Evernote widget, the 3 older failed notes get reset to say New Pending, but nothing actually happens.

I've sent email to nokia-preview@evernote.com with screenshots attached.

a) it would be nice to get the bug fixed. Is there any information I can send you to help troubleshoot? I can't email the log (the only option that Evernote allows me) as I don't use the native email app on the phone, but I could transfer the log file to a PC and email that, if I knew where to find it ... or if Evernote allowed me to save it instead of emailing it. NB: For reasons that may or may not be Evernote's fault, scrolling through the log was hard work, to say the least, so I have only sent part of the log as screenshots. I get the impression that Evernote was working so hard that my attempts to scroll weren't getting any CPU cycles.

:) how do I get things moving again? (I'm guessing that removing the old note(s) at the top of the list might do it, but I don't want to do that if that would destroy some useful troubleshooting info.)

3. Is there any way to see / edit notes on the phone that haven't yet been synced?

"Recent Notes" doesn't include them, and you can't open a note from the Activity section (which is the only place I've found where they're even listed). If there's no way to do this, could it be added please?

Julie

P.S. All seems to have gone a bit quiet on the Symbian front. No updates for nearly a month now :-(

Haven't had a chance to install this on my N97 - looking forward to trying it in the next day or two. Us Symbian users really are the ***** son of mobile OS's given it's practical non-existence in the American market.

Firstly, a WGZ file is in fact a renamed ZIP file. Change the .WGZ extension to .ZIP and it is a valid zip file. This is why some people are getting confused. Note that you don't need to unzip a WGZ file or do anything else with it - the Ovi Suite installer will do everything it needs to get the widget on your phone.

Secondly, is this beta app in any way related to this one - http://spanishgringo.blogspot.com?

-D

I had 3 notes that Evernote said it was unable to sync (Error 500). At that time I went to Activity, and Paused syncing.

Yesterday, I created some more notes (mostly photo notes, plus one text note). Having unpaused the syncing, Evernote says it has 6 notes to sync (which excludes the 3 that previously failed to sync), but fails to sync them. Each time I restart the Evernote widget, the 3 older failed notes get reset to say New Pending, but nothing actually happens.

I've sent email to nokia-preview@evernote.com with screenshots attached.

a) it would be nice to get the bug fixed. Is there any information I can send you to help troubleshoot? I can't email the log (the only option that Evernote allows me) as I don't use the native email app on the phone, but I could transfer the log file to a PC and email that, if I knew where to find it ... or if Evernote allowed me to save it instead of emailing it. NB: For reasons that may or may not be Evernote's fault, scrolling through the log was hard work, to say the least, so I have only sent part of the log as screenshots. I get the impression that Evernote was working so hard that my attempts to scroll weren't getting any CPU cycles.

B) how do I get things moving again? (I'm guessing that removing the old note(s) at the top of the list might do it, but I don't want to do that if that would destroy some useful troubleshooting info.)

I have now deleted the three original failing notes (as it happens, the information in them has been superseded, so I don't need them anyway), but the remaining 6 still don't sync. (I see "Synchronizing notes (6 remaining)" at the top of the screen.) The last note that successfully synched "up" from the mobile was on 1st Feb.

Julie

It would be great if Evernote would just release a proper .sis file with the APIBridge and whatever included.

Additionally, not all S60 phones are from Nokia, so for me (Samsung i8910) I cant seem to get the Nokia APIBridge anyway.

Sorry but this is all a bit Mickey Mouse and ultimately reduces the potential customer base.

Thx a lot! It works OK on my 5800. Is there any way for S60v3 phones like N86, N95 etc? Anyway I will try in N86 and post the results. Is there an ideas to write Evernote in native Symbian? Because it would be really fast and very good in almost all the s60v3 & s60v5 phones...

EDIT:

Tried in 5800. Very slow in most screens but usable. New photo, audio doesn't work. Also tried out in N86, the screen was very big and took me 4 mins to just sign in. Controls looked displaced and couldn't type much into anything. I guess this is the widget engine's fault....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just reporting my rather baffling experience with the beta on my 5800XM

First I tested installing it without the API Bridge, and found the same behavior reported by other users (i.e., immediate crash).

I then installed the API Bridge, whose current version (dated Feb 11 2010) is listed as 1.1 on the nokia website, but appears as 1.01(0) after installation.

At first everything seemed to work, I managed to log in, write and upload a test note.

After a few days, however, the program has just stopped working, and I have no idea why. Now it crashes during the signing in process, just after selecting the access point) (I see a 'signing in' animated icon in the backgound for a few seconds, then the program exits). I have uninstalled and re-installed both the API Bridge and the Evernote client, with no luck.

So: I guess I'll just have to wait for the next build and try again...

While you're at it, though, a suggestion: I don't know if you're planning for this, but to me the most obviously missing component for the client would be a way of taking notes by handwriting directly on the touchscreen and uploading the resulting image. It is possible to simulate this using a third-party app such as Xpressnote, but of course an integrated function would be much better.

best wishes

A rather belated update to say that deleting all the pending notes has allowed everthing to sync again, although we were unable to gather any information to help resolve why anything got stuck in the first place.

Julie

Archived