Error contacting the Skitch server to setup your account

Terenxio

I've moved from one iMac to another and I've copied over all the support files I can find for Skitch but it still tries to contact the server when it first starts.  However I can simply click OK to that message and it goes away.

It's a little frustrating but at least I've got a working version of Skitch.  I'd be happier with a slightly earlier version, one where the Evernote button isn't there and where the drop shadow actually works properly but this is better than nothing.  I'm running 1.0.12.

The reason for this is that Skitch is now an app, not a standalone program, and in order to "fix" this, you need to replace Skitch with Skitch-the-app (it will do that automatically when you download it from the app store).

However, the new version leaves a *lot* to be desired.  We have written this up fully here:

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/fix-the-error-contacting-the-skitch-server-to-setup-your-account-message/

The reason for this is that Skitch is now an app, not a standalone program, and in order to "fix" this, you need to replace Skitch with Skitch-the-app (it will do that automatically when you download it from the app store).

However, the new version leaves a *lot* to be desired.  We have written this up fully here:

http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/fix-the-error-contacting-the-skitch-server-to-setup-your-account-message/

Anne, you did a good job, but replacing Skitch 1.0 with the version 2.0 from App Store isn't a fix because Skitch 1.0 is an amazing app developed by Plasq (and unfortunately bought by Evernote in 2011) with a lovely icon, very useful functions, a nice bezel etc etc, while Skitch 2.0 is nothing more than a simple application similar to those for smartphones, with graphics very poor and flat, a few functions and an horrible logo.

I just hope that someone knows how to identify the changes to be done inside the Contents folder to avoid the connection with that "damn little green elephant" server, or that Evernote can take the wise decision to go back to version 1.0, updating it with 64-bit support.

Fingers crossed and hope for the best :)

I can't see Evernote returning to V1 of Skitch.

Terenxio, what you said to Anne is correct.  'Upgrading' Skitch to V2 simply isn't a fix.  I don't use Evernote at all any more, I have no need for it and the new version of Skitch doesn't support uploads to ftp sites which is the function I use the most.

I still have my old hard drive with Skitch which doesn't try to phone home when it's run so if I could simply find out which file it's looking for to think that it's activated then it would be an easy job to move that file to my new installation but it looks as though wherever it is, it's well hidden.

I still have my old hard drive with Skitch which doesn't try to phone home when it's run so if I could simply find out which file it's looking for to think that it's activated then it would be an easy job to move that file to my new installation but it looks as though wherever it is, it's well hidden.

Ticket open. I'll inform you as soon as possible  :)

...the new version leaves a *lot* to be desired.  We have written this up fully here:

That'll be good, thanks.

Still no answer from Evernote to my requests about the error window. 

Unfortunately, I see on the Skitch download page that Evernote no longer offers the version 1.0 and this makes me think that they no longer have any interest in this top app, in addition to the desire to destroy it day after day from the time of purchase.
Anne is right when she says that "Evernote just does not heart Skitch any more".
What did Evernote from 2011, the date of purchase of Skitch from Plasq? The opposite of what you should have done: they continued to remove features and add issues; they have never listened to the requests of the community of passionate users of Skitch about resizing images, interface, use of fonts, shadows, extended canvas etc etc.
This forum is full of complaints and requests unanswered. Skitch 1.0 is an application that could be cashing millions of dollars, was created by the excellent developers of Comic Life with taste and attention to detail and is not a substitute for Paint, as the CEO of Evernote thinks. Sorry to say, but the vision limited to the development of one application for notes will not have great future. There are many alternatives to the green elephant app, less intrusive, for iOS, Android, Windows and Mac customers.
Probably we will have to wait until the end of Evernote to see the rebirth of Skitch
Bye bye Skitchers and Goodbye to Evernote Clique

That'll be good, thanks.

Here is the Evernote answer to my question. Can't believe!!!

EmailLogo2x.jpg

Evernote Support (Evernote Support) 

Mar 4, 13:35 

Thanks for contacting Evernote Customer Support. Evernote Support is currently available in English, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Korean, and Russian.

Please write back in one of our supported languages and we’ll be able to answer your question.

You may also be able to find an answer to your question by visiting our Help Topics.

Evernote Support

• 4 months later...

I fully concur with just about all comments above.  I was an early user of SKITCH and also EVERNOTE and had a PREMIUM account with Evernote. Then the so-called "UPGRADE" from Evernote changed Skitch and ruined its functionality, at least for me and apparently for others. 

This is sadly a sign of our "modern" times when upgrades turn out to be down-grades and many other "upgrades" consume so much time in learning how to use an app or operating system (OS) that was excellent that the user's quality of life (QoL) suffers. 

As an ex-PC user and an avid Mac user I have seen this with all of the OS since 10.68 (Snow Leopard).  As a professional I have wasted so much time and also had so much aggravation from using Yosemite and all the OS's since 10.68.  This issue of Skitch mirrors that experience and brings to mind the adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".  

In addition, companies like Evernote are NOT listening to the customer and that has led me, and I am sure others, to move away from the more expensive premium accounts.  My original Skitch version is still operative despite the error message on start up of the app.  An on the Mac, using the screenshot hot keys and trying to edit the screenshot with Preview is also a joke.  Preview is a real rinky-dink app that Apple should be ashamed of.  

Assuming that most of you are Mac users you may wish to try voilà ! to take & annotate screenshots.  On the PC, the best app for this was SNAGIT.  

Stephen Strum 8/2/15 

Archived