Suppress Ctrl+S in new web UI

candidtim

Idea

From long ago I have this habit to type "Ctrl+S" once a somewhat significant amount of work is done; mostly when working in a kind of a text editor. Now, that the notes editor is embedded into web browser and all modifications are saved automatically, this doesn't make sense, BUT I still have this habit, and I hit "Ctrl+S" every time I finish a note or a big part of it. However, with new web UI, it pops up my browsers "Save a page" dialog, which is clearly not my intention.

Could this be probably avoided if "Ctrl+S" would be suppressed on the Evernote web UI?

For example, same thing in a Google Documents does nothing  (at least visibly), so I'm not disturbed by the "Save a page" pop up.

4 replies to this idea

Hi candidtim,

It's good to know that Google Documents overwrites it, but as of right now we have no plans to break standard convention.  "Ctrl+S" is a standard shortcut for most browsers to save the webpage to the computer. We will take into consideration the autosave behavior and how we can make this better. 

Nancy

It's good to know that Google Documents overwrites it, but as of right now we have no plans to break standard convention.  "Ctrl+S" is a standard shortcut for most browsers to save the webpage to the computer. We will take into consideration the autosave behavior and how we can make this better. 

Evernote web essentially is not an ordinary "web page", but web application, so Evernote shouldn't blindly follow conventions for "web pages", I think. From this point of view it has no sense to use "ctrl+s" as "save page". I can't imagine a situation when user might want to save evernote's page.

I do agree, I don't consider Evernote as a "web page" like Wikipedia or something - it is an application, like the replacement for a desktop one. Also, the current way Ctrl-S works - it doesn't save the notes anyway.

On a side note, I think that having "Ctrl-S" in browsers is kind of a legacy now - today I wouldn't save a Wikipedia page either.

Archived