Paragraph and Character styles

As a relative Evernote beginner, I'm trying to find an efficient way to add text to a Note in a different style (like in MS Word).

Frequently, I would like to differentiate in a Note between my text and input from others.

I have not found an easy, efficient and repeatable way to switch to different styles in Evernote.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi - at the moment there isn't one.  You can create a style in another word processor (like MS Word) and copy/ paste into a note,  and/ or you can embed the file into the note to allow for future editing. There's an expectation that the Evernote editor is being upgraded 'soon',  but don't hold your breath..

• Like 2

Hi Norm,

I create diary Notes for customer enquiries and use colour coding to differentiate between customers, suppliers and me. I will put up a link later with an example for you.

Best regards

Chris

Curious how others deal with this situation under the current Evernote.

I primarily use other note taking apps that play nicely with Evernote. I've never been one to use "styles" in any situation, though. 

You may find this useful:

https://kustomnote.com/

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

Norm3 - This is a work-around and somewhat cludgy, but try it to see if you think it is better than any other option.

Create a Note that includes some text in the various styles that you think you might use several times. One row per style. You may end up with 2-5 lines, each with different styles. Put one or more blanks lines between them.

Keep this special Note open most of the time.

Then, when you create or are working with some other Note and you want to apply a particular style, copy it from the special Note with multiple styles and paste it where you want it. 

You might find this is faster than establishing a style within a new Note by selecting the font, size, color, and other attributes.

• Like 3
  • 8 months later...

Feature request - I'd love to see some kind of feature similar to InDesign's Paragraph and Character style functionality.

I understand this might not be really considered as a good feature for Evernote in order to avoid feature bloating (too many features, leading to poor UX/UI), but in case isn't hasn't been considered, here it is!

I was just writing out my notes for a speech, and I've been highlighting all the quotes from others I'm using in red, and at the end I wished I had done it in a different color, so now I have to go through one-by-one and change the colors. With Character styling, I could just change it in one place.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Feature request - I'd love to see some kind of feature similar to InDesign's Paragraph and Character style functionality.

I understand this might not be really considered as a good feature for Evernote in order to avoid feature bloating (too many features, leading to poor UX/UI), but in case isn't hasn't been considered, here it is!

I was just writing out my notes for a speech, and I've been highlighting all the quotes from others I'm using in red, and at the end I wished I had done it in a different color, so now I have to go through one-by-one and change the colors. With Character styling, I could just change it in one place.

I don't really think this type of change is "feature bloat".   Even the very simple HTML has formatting styles, and CSS is very common place.  So you change CSS in one place, and all text that use the CSS styles are automatically updated.

If you want something other than plain text, most of us want ease of control over the formatting of our text.  Perhaps it's the influence of MS Word, where we have had styles for decades, but it seems like a very common request.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Norm,

One thing I've done is to just get good at the selecting and styling key commands, so I can select text and bold it (or italicize, etc) without having to use the mouse to select and style.

---

This one is very disappointing for me, too.

I keep using Evernote because it's on every device and I have a substantial group of notebooks that accomplish the main tasks, but I would be a customer for life, if they had great text style options.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Yes, Evernote is simple, but in this case it's way too simple. I definitely miss some basic styling/structure options like in html: h1,h2,h3;pre (with gray box, non-proportional for code snippets) - and perhaps some other. -- a central style.css would be useful or an alternaive a way to adjust look&feel for all notes.

Without this I find it very hard to get the information structured, and this is for what evernote stands, isn't it.

Please guys, add these basic functions to the editor!

Best regards, 

mandrael

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I agree, Evernote needs Styles across the board, for all of its apps/clients.

Until we get that, one workaround is to use a keyboard macro utility.

You could define a shortcut for each style, and it would copy the selected text, apply the style, and then paste back into Evernote.

Some Popular Keyboard Macro Utilities

These tools also provide lots of other useful features.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that this is an old thread (Google brought me here).

Disappointed to see that this is not possible in Evernote. Learning how to properly use styles in Pages (OS X) really improved my workflow. Hope it comes to Evernote soon.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Ok... I've found a way but it's massively time consuming if you are dealing with large groupings of styles.

Apparently, in the ENML (XML Formatting for Evernote Notes) you can add a style to an individual XML element. So, for instance, in my case I wanted to control my LISTS with a better style.

Using the ENML Editor : http://enml-editor.ping13.net/

I opened my note in question and made my adjustments per this blog post: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php#styling

This allowed me to do something like this...

<ol style="list-style: decimal;">  <li>   Job Responsibility / Project / Objective   <ol>    <li>     Take personal responsibility for providing internal and external customers with the most cost efficient, prompt, and highest quality services possible.    </li>    <li>     Feedback from customers, co-workers and observation.    </li>   </ol>  </li>  <li>   <br />   <ol style="list-style: lower-alpha;">    <li>     Take personal responsibility for seeking continuous improvements in departmental and City work efforts.    </li>    <li>     Improve communication and transparency on projects.     <ol style="list-style: lower-alpha;">      <li>       For projects that I am involved, update the status on a weekly basis.      </li>      <li>       Ensure every project that I am working on is documented and managed as a Project in Sharepoint.      </li>     </ol>    </li>   </ol>  </li>  <li>   <br />  </li> </ol>

And voila... obnoxious but it works. Next step is to figure out what tool will auto-create inline CSS styling and use THAT to create my lists. Then use the ENML Editor to add those chunks of HTML/CSS as needed.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

I am new to actually trying to use Evernote, the incentive being that we no longer have full time secretaries at our "Satellite Offices", so I have to access any number of notes such as quick and simple tables and notes that I can associate with diagnostics such as X-Rays and CT Scans, as well as being able to do quick comparisons on GC/MS results, etc. so that I can make qualitative decisions predicated upon actual data and radiography, etc. Unfortunately, it seems as if Evernote has decided certain parameters and no matter how many times I reset them, they revert to its "default" value. Simple example, I simply hate the default font that it wants to use for notes. Might be great for some folks just not for me and the way that I work. It should be simple, right, go to the little "Font" & "Color" setting and change them to what I want to use, save and close it out, and I no sooner start to input some information on the table and the first time that I hit the tab key to move on to the next column (on the same row) and Evernote goes back to that default font and the process starts all over again. Any idea how long it takes to enter even simple data when you have to stop, and reset the font and font color every time you move on to the next column or row in a table. I never even got further into the process than the 3rd column on the 1st row. Is there some simple way to make Evernote understand that there are certain simple parameters (after all, what could be more simple that setting up a font and font color), and if it is going to fight me on simple things like that, well unfortunately I won't be using it long enough to decide if we just "upgrade" our subscription for each of the partners.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Forensics Doctor said:

Simple example, I simply hate the default font that it wants to use for notes.

You can change the default font by going to:

• Mac:  EN Preferences > Formatting
  • Win:  Tools > Options > Note
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Everazephyr said:

Are we still waiting? I've started using Evernote and already invested some time in it, but without better ability to change styles, I'll soon abandon the effort. 

Doesn't exist in amy Evernote client that I know of. If it's critical to your workflow, lifestyle, or blood pressure, then you might need to use a different tool.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, pwdennis2 said:

Still waiting ... six years later.

I depend on styles to organize my thoughts and don't want to manually tweak a bunch of individual options. Evernote, please get this done!

👎:angry:

Not exactly a lot of action on this thread - it's been quiet for 2 years;  guess everyone either gave up,  moved on or found a work-around.  Evernote's revised apps due out later this year may include something more on text styles,  but they're still working on that.  Meantime we have colour and styles for tags and notebook names (In Windows anyway...) so there has been some slight movement...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pwdennis2 said:

I depend on styles to organize my thoughts and don't want to manually tweak a bunch of individual options. Evernote, please get this done!

Not seeing any interest by Evernote for their note editors
aside from heading styles

I use third party Evertool to implement format styles

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion for this feature

• 3 weeks later...