New view wanted: tags list next to notebooks list

stonecropper

Probably I have too many notebooks and too many tags, but I find that I spend a lot of time scrolling up and down in the sidebar, and expanding and collapsing trees to find the tags and notebooks I want. I wish I could put the two lists side by side, rather than one above the other. Also, the scroll bars are displayed with so little contrast that they are easy to miss with the mouse pointer, and the scroll wheel doesn't seem to work consistantly to scroll the windows.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gardener

• Level 5*

You should look into using the search control that lives over your note list. Notebooks are in a separate list on the left-hand side, with a list of recently accessed notebooks at the top (you can change the number of recent notebooks displayed via a registry setting), and a tag selection UI to the right (click on the tag icon); that will give you a progressive tag selection ability (if you select a tag, the next tag selection will include only the tags for notes that also include the previously selected tags).

Thank you jefito,

Your suggestion is definitely helpful for finding notes by tag. More often, I'm trying to choose what tags to assign to a new note. Typing the first few letters in the "add tag" field works great as long as I remember that I have created the tag, but sadly that is often not the case! Thanks to your reply I did discover the "Tag..." command in the Notes menu, which brings up an un-nested list of tags, and is easier than scrolling the left panel, so thanks again.

• Level 5*

Thank you jefito,

Your suggestion is definitely helpful for finding notes by tag. More often, I'm trying to choose what tags to assign to a new note. Typing the first few letters in the "add tag" field works great as long as I remember that I have created the tag, but sadly that is often not the case! Thanks to your reply I did discover the "Tag..." command in the Notes menu, which brings up an un-nested list of tags, and is easier than scrolling the left panel, so thanks again.

You might consider revisiting you tagging strategy.  If you have trouble remembering tags you may have too many or perhaps some naming conventions would get the right ones appearing in the tag drop down.  One of the strengths of EN is its search capability so extremely granular tags aren't always needed .  Typically if a tag represents only a few notes it may not be a tag to keep, an exception being an action oriented tag like Now.  

Just a thought, you have to use EN as best fits your way of doing things.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

IAC, it would be most helpful if Evernote would improve EN Win and EN Mac to provide a better, more readable UI, and better Tag management tools.  The Tag panel is a joke if you have >> 100 tags.

• Level 5*

Thanks Cal, you are undoubtedly right about too many tags. 

No problem.  Voice of experience, I went through a metamorphosis with tags myself.  Have it to the point now where I actually remember most of them or the first character or two gets me there.   :)   Lots of luck.

Archived