Sorry, can't uninstall on my android. It used to be possible last year, but now selecting UNINSTALL gives the option to uninstall UPDATES only, so user is constantly bugged with silly requests to update. 

This new trend is not merely Evernote. I've found several android apps that used to be uninstallable, but now are not. 

I think it sucks, and must cause negative vibes for any user in such slavery. Please believe me, it can't be uninstall by any known, conventional command?

• Level 5*

I just did an app cleanup on a bunch of Android devices and never ran into a problem uninstalling; I didn't uninstall Evernote, though. The only problem that I've ever heard about uninstalling Evernote was Samsung users who had Evernote pre-installed on their devices. You tried going through App Info?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Samsung pre-installs Evernote on all it's devices, and everthing I've ever read about uninstalled pre-loaded apps on Samsung devices, warns against it becuase as the pop-up message states, "Unstalling a Native App may cause problems with your device."

That's not the exact message, but is pretty close. What you can safely do is to go into your device Settings, locate the Application Manager, scroll down until your find Evernote, then tap on it. You should see an option to Disable the app, and one to Disable all Updates. Tick both the forget about.

Cheers

I got a new tablet and am going to use the old one for development. I neither need nor want Evernote on the old tablet because of memory limitations. For some reason, Evernote has decided  it's a SYSTEM app and won't uninstall - only backs out updates. The thing came with enough bloatware without the things I download thinking they own my device.
NONE of the usual Android uninstall methods work, and frankly, I'm pissed.

Anybody have any ideas?

I can't comprehend why business firms so damage their customers interests. We pay you, don't force these 'pre-installed' garbage apps on us, we might not continue to buy other apps, due to the frustration. 

THIS ALLEGEDLY NEUTRAL FORUM STATES HOW TO REMOVE IT, but if fails.

THIS of course makes me much more angry, since i now wasted even more time trying to do the impossible. 

I actually chalk this up to education,,,, proving that firms actually think we are so dumb that we will actually believe them, and buy more. 

SORRY, I'd probably have a few more apps on my fon, if i trusted them.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-remove-bloatware-on-the-samsung-galaxy-note-4/

• Level 5*

I can't comprehend why business firms so damage their customers interests. We pay you, don't force these 'pre-installed' garbage apps on us, we might not continue to buy other apps, due to the frustration. 

THIS ALLEGEDLY NEUTRAL FORUM STATES HOW TO REMOVE IT, but if fails.

THIS of course makes me much more angry, since i now wasted even more time trying to do the impossible. 

I actually chalk this up to education,,,, proving that firms actually think we are so dumb that we will actually believe them, and buy more. 

SORRY, I'd probably have a few more apps on my fon, if i trusted them.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-remove-bloatware-on-the-samsung-galaxy-note-4/

I don't understand; you'd stop getting apps that could be useful to you because Samsung pre-installed some apps that you don't use? Isn't that cutting off your own nose to spite your face? If you don't like the pre-installed apps, then don't use them.

But hey, it's cute that you liked your own post, though!!

Jefito, I hope I have your name correct...

It seems you were wrong in your first comment, and this recent one seems to offer no suggestions. 

Trust me, Evernote will not uninstall. 

IF you haven't anything constructive to add, pls don't bother. 

Its not your fault, we all have our limitations, rendered more diffucult by Evernote's following Mr Softee's arrogance in latching on as if customers were hard to find and keep. 

Best, 
p

• Level 5*

I did a web search, like any normal human being, you for instance. It turned up the fact that applications that are pre-installed on certain devices can be hard to remove. I'm sorry that the link I chose didn't solve it for you; I don't have a Samsung device so I had no way of testing it out for you. There were other links, but I don't think that I need to hold your hand to get you to do further web search. You could also search the forums here; I turned up this link, which is more informational in nature: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79625-how-to-stop-samsung-tab-s-android-evernote-app-update-notification/

Perhaps you should be directing your attentions to your device manufacturer, for making preinstalled apps so hard to uninstall. As it happens, I can uninstall Evernote just fine on my devices (so my comment was not "wrong"). On the other hand, I can't uninstall the pre-installed NFL Mobile app on my phone, though, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. I just took it off of my home screen, and I've never run it.

I must commend you for going straight for the personal attack, such boldness and maturity are so rare on internet forums. <sarc />

As to the actual issue at hand, unfortunately, my device is not an evil Samsung product, it is a Lenovo IdeaTab and, as stated in my comment, Evernote did *not* come preinstalled.

Originally, it did have the Uninstall option, however, after one of the updates late last Summer, or thereabout, it magically became a System app. I rather doubt Lenovo had anything to do with that since they abandoned updating my model some time ago.

You can believe that if the unsinstall was as easy a process as some seem to think it is, I would *never* have subjected myself to the "dental visit" that is an online forum.

Interesting way to get people to pay for the product - make them buy the product so they can get tech support to help them uninstall it. Genius!

EverNote be damned. A year ago it seemed promising, but now can't be removed. Pity, also a pity so many seem to write such diverse perspectives on whose at fault. 

any app s/b capable of being removed, UNLESS truly essential to the proper functioning of the phone. EverNote does not qualify!

• Level 5*

padraeg: I'm reasonably sure that your problem is with Samsung. There's plenty of testimony about problems uninstalling systems app that I found by searching the web (search on, e.g. "samsung evernote system app removal"). You should contact them. You might also try Evernote support, as maybe they've had some experience with the issue, but the root problem is Samsung.

WNed: I haven't found anything on the web concerning problems uninstalling Evernote from Lenovo IdeaTabs; about all I could find was this: https://evernote.com/partner/lenovo/. Apparently there was some kind of partnership with between Evernote and Lenovo, but I don't know what that entailed. It's doubtful that their overall strategy is up their rate of premium uptake by stopping their app from being uninstalled, since 1) it uninstalls fine on other devices (e.g. my Nexus 7 tablet and my Motorola phone) and 2) because not being able to uninstall an app evidently torques off some users to the point where would have the opposite effect to what you've posited. And let's face it, it may be installed, but nobody's forcing you to run it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jefito, my previous comment concerning Evernote increasing their Premium membership was straight-up sarcasm, or irony, if you prefer. Also, you continue to misread - I do not dislike Evernote, as such; I have, in fact, installed it on my PC as well as my new tablet. My issue is with the fact that I cannot uninstall it from my *old* tablet, where that memory space could be put to better use. I wish you would understand that I have actually done my own search for several hours and, like your own, turned up nothing useful. I sincerely thank you for spending your own time trying to find an answer for me. That was very thoughtful and I do greatly appreciate your efforts.

I will mention that on my *new* tablet, Evernote *is* uninstallable. That is cause enough to make me look for further confirmation that the app was bundled on the Lenovo - I am capable of admitting I'm wrong, once I'm sure I am.

Archived