Tags getting deleted on sync

Momofthrees

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if the Tag sync issue is related to the general sync issue, but Evernote has now stated they have found (at least one) sync bug and are working on fixing it:

Frank is correct. This [sync] issue affected all of Evernote land (and not just Evernote Windows). It was a global issue that our Windows users helped us pinpoint. We hope to see a speedy resolution but please be patient since this will likely require a service-wide set of changes.

Thanks to everyone who submitted tickets. Thanks to everyone who posted on the forum. We couldn't have fixed this without you  :)

On a related note, you might consider revising your tagging scheme.  I don't know if this will fix your issue (it may be unrelated), but I think you might find it easier to manage and use your tags:
  • When you find you have multiple Tags that start with the same keyword (like "Morgan"), this is an indicator that you might be better served by breaking out the common keyword.
  • So, instead of having a bunch of Tags that start with "Morgan", you might have Tags like the following, and then assign multiple combinations of the Tags to your Notes as needed:
    • Morgan
    • Death
    • Census
    • Burials
    • Williams
    • etc.
  • Where you have Tags that represent people, you might add a prefix like "Peo."
    • So you would have Tags like "Peo.NancyW", or it might work better for you to put the initial of the last name first, as in "Peo.WNancy"
    • The benefit of this naming convention is that when you go to assign the Tag, filter by Tags, or include Tags in the Search box it becomes much easier, with Evernote providing autocomplete.
    • For example:
      • If you type just "Peo." in the Tag assign field, EN will show a dropdown list of all tags that start with "Peo.", making it easy to select the one you want
      • If you type "Peo.W" it would show a list of all people whose last name starts with "W"
      • In the Search box, if you enter "tag:Peo.W* the search would return Notes for all people with last name "W"
      • etc

These are just some tagging ideas, which you may or may not find useful, and can certainly adjust to fit your needs and style.

I'm not sure if the Tag sync issue is related to the general sync issue, but Evernote has now stated they have found (at least one) sync bug and are working on fixing it:

Frank is correct. This [sync] issue affected all of Evernote land (and not just Evernote Windows). It was a global issue that our Windows users helped us pinpoint. We hope to see a speedy resolution but please be patient since this will likely require a service-wide set of changes.

Thanks to everyone who submitted tickets. Thanks to everyone who posted on the forum. We couldn't have fixed this without you  :)

On a related note, you might consider revising your tagging scheme.  I don't know if this will fix your issue (it may be unrelated), but I think you might find it easier to manage and use your tags:
  • When you find you have multiple Tags that start with the same keyword (like "Morgan"), this is an indicator that you might be better served by breaking out the common keyword.
  • So, instead of having a bunch of Tags that start with "Morgan", you might have Tags like the following, and then assign multiple combinations of the Tags to your Notes as needed:
    • Morgan
    • Death
    • Census
    • Burials
    • Williams
    • etc.
  • Where you have Tags that represent people, you might add a prefix like "Peo."
    • So you would have Tags like "Peo.NancyW", or it might work better for you to put the initial of the last name first, as in "Peo.WNancy"
    • The benefit of this naming convention is that when you go to assign the Tag, filter by Tags, or include Tags in the Search box it becomes much easier, with Evernote providing autocomplete.
    • For example:
      • If you type just "Peo." in the Tag assign field, EN will show a dropdown list of all tags that start with "Peo.", making it easy to select the one you want
      • If you type "Peo.W" it would show a list of all people whose last name starts with "W"
      • In the Search box, if you enter "tag:Peo.W* the search would return Notes for all people with last name "W"
      • etc

These are just some tagging ideas, which you may or may not find useful, and can certainly adjust to fit your needs and style.

My naming scheme is working just fine for me. I just need for it to make it from my computer to your cloud and then back to my phone and kindle so that I can use it offsite. :)  I haven't had any problems with tagging issues, just syncing issues.  I hope this issue can be fixed quickly.  I also you tag stacks and I wonder if this might be part of the issue?  For instance I have a MORGAN stack and under that put all my Morgan tags. This helps me to stay organized.  I'd prefer to continue doing this, but if that is the problem, I can do without it.  Thanks for the suggestion, but it would not work for me, It would requre me to tag a note with several tags, whereas now I am only using one.

I think the problem may be the tag stack. Just to see I moved all notes out of the tag stack and then I created a dummy tag and attached it to all the notes. This forced a new sync.  I then deleted the dummy tag, which meant I had to sync again. Used 2MB of data, but since I had the data and need the tags, I went ahead and did it. I am hoping this can be fixed soon. I really use tag stacks to organize tags and it has worked fine in the past with no problems. 

Archived