Can't Read Full Tag Name on the Tags Page

JeffOnWire

Idea

Evernote 6.0.5 for mac. 

Open Evernote on my laptop (not online), click on "Tags" in the menu on the left. Tags screen opens. There is a huge gray area maybe 1400 pixels wide. All of the tags appear in a single column (don't have that many yet) way over on the left side of this screen in maybe 200 pixel width column. Remaining 1200 pixels of space on the right...gray blankness. Shorter tags, no problem. Longer tags are truncated with ellipsis points and no way that I can figure out to read the entire tag, except maybe to rename the tag, which allows me to get my cursor in there and move it around left and right to figure out what it says.

This can't be right...how do I expand the tag width to read the full tag name?

Thanks in advance...I'm enjoying learning how to try and get organized with Evernote.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

OK, I see the issue now.

You might try:

1. Maximizing the Evernote window 
  2. Hide the Left Side Panel (View menu)

But I don't have high expectations that either of these will help.

You do seem to have very long Tag names -- much longer than any of mine.

So, the only solution might be to make the Tag names shorter, maybe much shorter.

Some of your Tag names look more like what I would use for Note Titles.

You could create multiple Notes, and then create a master, TOC Note that lists/links to the detailed Notes.

You might consider using short, single word, Tag names.  This would apply to Notebooks as well.

I find this really helps in the selection and search.  Using one word makes it much easier to search (doesn't require quotes).

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice. The suggestions didn't increase the tag width. I'm struggling to find a way to organize content that works well for me. Organizing by tag seems to be a commonly-suggested idea that I'm trying out. I don't care for it much as it runs counter to what my idea of tags should be, and of course the width issue, but I haven't found anything that works better yet. Single-word tags isn't going to work (e.g. if I'm splitting clients up into separate notebooks and need to locate "events" for each client and then multiple notes for each event). Could be I'm just trying to make Evernote go where it wasn't made to go.  

Would definitely suggest rummaging around these boards for alternative organizational strategies with Evernote. In particular systems that rely on note titling and keyword search, if tags aren't working for you. A recent thread about note titling and search management can be found here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/80991-how-much-do-you-worry-about-your-note-titles-change-it-or-roll-with-it/

But that really just scrapes the surface of a specific use case. 

Maybe this could help:

Click tags in left column. Click the tag you are interested in. Right-click and choose change name. Esc-button when you have spotted the tags name. Voila. 

When the program don't visualise longer tags thats a VERY simple solution. But it works! #workaround

Archived