Evernote for Mac 6.0.6 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Our official release notes are:

Various bug and stability fixes including search improvements.

New features include:
  • Presentation Mode Auto-Layout - Divide your presentation into multiple slides with a single click.

The search improvements in this version require reindexing notes.  Indexing allows for faster searches. Depending on how many notes you have, this may take some time and could impact performance temporarily.

The unofficial release notes:
The following are more detailed notes on what we fixed and updated.

1) We spent a bunch of time on search.  We put some fixes in for Spotlight Search and advanced search.  Also a number of Asian character search issues have been fixed.  We also spent a lot of time trying to reduce the CPU impact of indexing.  I received one report from a customer who was having performance issues and he told me 6.0.6 has fixed his issue.  I don't know if all performance issues have been fixed by 6.0.6 but my hope is that performance issues that were caused by heavy indexing will be greatly improved.

2) We improved our attachment infrastructure and made it more reliable.  This might not be entirely obvious from everyday use but sometimes there would be sync issues and other problems because of the old attachment infrastructure which have now been fixed.

3) We also fixed a number of crashing bugs and continue to work on the highest impact issues.  If you crash and see a dialog when you start Evernote please send us this information.  Sending us your crash reports via that dialog allows us to count the issues that people run into and I prioritize the issues to be fixed based on the number of people being impacted.

We'll be monitoring the forum but if there is something new that has cropped up in the 6.0.6 release specifically please reply to this thread so it's easier for us to spot and reply.

Just upgraded to the latest mac version 6.0.6 (non app store) and now when I delete a note, it remains in the folder until I switch to another folder then back.  I tried emptying my trash as mapla1982 suggested earlier in this post, but no luck.  Quite annoying

Update: It seems to be directly correlated with notes that existed before the upgrade.  New notes are deleted as expected.

BUG/REGRESSION: 

Version: 6.0.6 (451290 Direct)

You cannot add a link to selected text when editing notes within the main app window (i.e. in the right pane). It only works if you pop the note out into it's own window (by double-clicking on the note in the note list).

Steps to recreate:

1. Create/edit a note
  2. Type a line of text, not a URL, that you want to turn into a link. (ex: "this link")
  3. Highlight the text from step 2
  4. Do one of the following:
    • cmd + K
    • Right-click > Link > Add...
    • Format menu > Link > Add...

Expected result: The "enter web address for this link" box opens up

Actual result: Nothing happens

Again, if you open the note in a new window, this works fine.

If I filter my notebook by tag(s), then attempt to expand the width of the Title column in the view ('Top List View'), it crashes.  This is very annoying as you can imagine.

On another note, why does the left panel scroll up to the top after every tag I command click on?  The windows desktop application seems to be better with these interactions. (Windows at work, Mac at home).

• Level 5*

If I filter my notebook by tag(s), then attempt to expand the width of the Title column in the view ('Top List View'), it crashes.  This is very annoying as you can imagine.

On another note, why does the left panel scroll up to the top after every tag I command click on?  The windows desktop application seems to be better with these interactions. (Windows at work, Mac at home).

There is something strange going on with your setup of EN Mac.  I am NOT seeing either of those problems.

I'm running EN Mac 6.0.6 on Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks on two Macs, and one on Yosemite.

You might try:  signout of EN Mac, restart your Mac, sign back in to EN Mac and see if the behaviour persists.

If it does, then you might want to

1. Reinstall the Evernote app (but not your data).  Move Evernote.app to trash, restart, and redownload & install.
  2.  Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I'm seeing similar issues but in the side list view. Lately I've been going through a lot of my notes and removing the dates in the title. I'm setting the created and updated dates instead.

I can crash the app regularly by simply shifting the columns around in the view. I've been submitting reports with each crash. Should I also submit a bug report via support?

• Level 5*

I can crash the app regularly by simply shifting the columns around in the view. I've been submitting reports with each crash. Should I also submit a bug report via support?

I don't think one bug report would hurt, and it might help a lot.  Evernote usually doesn't respond to a crash report, but does to bug reports via a support ticket, especially if you are a Premium/Business user.

BUG/REGRESSION: 

Version: 6.0.6 (451290 Direct)

You cannot add a link to selected text when editing notes within the main app window (i.e. in the right pane). It only works if you pop the note out into it's own window (by double-clicking on the note in the note list).

Steps to recreate:

1. Create/edit a note
  2. Type a line of text, not a URL, that you want to turn into a link. (ex: "this link")
  3. Highlight the text from step 2
  4. Do one of the following:
    • cmd + K
    • Right-click > Link > Add...
    • Format menu > Link > Add...

Expected result: The "enter web address for this link" box opens up

Actual result: Nothing happens

Again, if you open the note in a new window, this works fine.

Can anyone else reproduce this issue?  I don't see this issue.  Are you still seeing this problem?

As somebody else posted, copy and paste does not work!

What type of QA is there when something so fundamental can slip through the cracks.

This is a note taking app... copy and pasting... um 'notes' from other sources is a very typical workflow.

Please fix ASAP and please test before releasing new versions.

I've seen a couple of comments about copy and paste not working but I can't reproduce the issue.  Is anyone else seeing it.  Obviously there's an issue so it's just a matter of figuring out exactly where the problem lies.  If you see this again, please describe what you're copying and where you're pasting it to.   The way this technically works is we put a number of formats on the clipboard such as HTML or plain text and then the second app will pick the format they want to paste.  So the issue could be in the format we place on the clipboard or in the way the 3rd party app interprets that.  Also keep in mind that you have to use the Copy Image menu command to copy and paste images.

BUG REPORT: Attachments set as "View as attachments" open randomly expanded after evernote restart

Evernote 6.0.6, OSX 10.10.2

After upgrading to 6.0.6 Evernote has started expanding attachments on notes. This takes place after restarting Evernote and opening a note. After manually changing the note back to "View as Attachment" the attachment stays as an icon until next evernote restart. This does not happen to all attachments in a note but randomly to some attachments in a note. At least powerpoint, word, excel and pdf files have been expanding, so it is not only about a certain file type. 

This keeps happening to attachments that have been present in my notes for quite a while and flipping the default view under clipping between "inline" and "as attachment" makes no difference. 

Also, spotlight search into notes does no longer work. Trying out the EV reinstalls, reindexing etc make no difference.

I'm able to reproduce this issue on some notes and we'll investigate.  Thanks for reporting this.

After installing 6.0.6 and forcing spotlight to reindex I still can NOT search for evernote notes in spotlight.

This is incredibly frustrating, annoying and frankly difficult to comprehend.

As a paying customer I'm telling you that my productivity is suffering because you can't get this right.

Bill

Bill, I think we've found the issue.  Michael was right on this one.  This issue appears more often for Mac App Store customers.  There's an issue in the path to our spotlight importer.  Again more weirdness with things being in different places because of the sandboxing.

Can't Read Shared Note Without Evernote Account -- Unacceptable

Just updated to EN Mac 6.0.6, and AFAIK you can't share a Note except via Work Chat, and the recipient can't view it without an Evernote account.  

• This is totally unacceptable
  • I don't want to chat, I just want to share a Note
  • The recipient doesn't want (and will NOT create) an Evernote account -- they just want to read/view the Note as simply and quickly as possible.

Here's a screenshot of the recipient's email notification:

EN-Mac-606-Shared-Note-EMail.png

Totally agree. You're now forcing a less efficient workflow because of having to Copy Public Link and manually paste it into an email.

I think there might be some confusion between Public Link and Email a Note.  Public Link is the feature that allows one to see a note in a web browser and it continues to live under the Share menu as it always has.  If you're looking for Email Note which embeds an HTML representation of a note in an email, this continues to live on the right click menu on the note list under More Sharing or under the Note main menu.

pjbss, thanks for completing the dialog that appears when you relaunch the app after the crash.  This is actually the most important thing to complete because this sends the crash report directly to us and I monitor this crash database consistently.   We'll try to fix the top issues every release.  I was able to find your crash log and we'll investigate the issue.

• Level 5*

I think there might be some confusion between Public Link and Email a Note..

Marcus, I would say there is much more than "some" confusion.  Clearly some of it is on my part.   ;)

But if you look around these forums you will find a lot of people confused about sharing, whether it be a Note or Notebook.

I think most of the confusion comes in when the sender simply wants to share something with the recipient, but neither have any need nor desire to chat about it.  

The notification email has in large text "<someone> has shared a note [or Notebook] with you".

But then there is no link to open the shared item, only to chat.

Please, what many of us need is to clearly separate sharing from chatting.

I think it's great to include sharing in chatting for those that want it.

But for lots of us, we rarely need to chat, just to share.

EDIT:  This triggered a thought which I just posted in the Work Chat thread:

EN Sharing Use Case - Separate from Chatting

Thanks.

BTW, thanks for all your responses, especially to crash reports.

As you know, my top request to Evernote is to make it as bug-free and stable as you can.

I don't think one bug report would hurt, and it might help a lot.  Evernote usually doesn't respond to a crash report, but does to bug reports via a support ticket, especially if you are a Premium/Business user.

Thanks.

I submitted a report (either bug or crash) via EN support.  I can recreate the issue pretty frequently now.  I've also provided Marcus with my info to look up my app crash reports.

And....I uploaded a video to YouTube.  This is my first time EVER making a video for YouTube, so I apologize for any nooblicious mistakes.  Hopefully this will help.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

I submitted a report (either bug or crash) via EN support.  I can recreate the issue pretty frequently now.  I've also provided Marcus with my info to look up my app crash reports.

And....I uploaded a video to YouTube.  This is my first time EVER making a video for YouTube, so I apologize for any nooblicious mistakes.  Hopefully this will help.

Excellent video!  Yours is much better than many I have seen that have uploaded many videos.

Clearly shows the bug.

Thanks.  First time using the screen recording feature in QuickTime.  I ran through several takes, but it was surprisingly easy to actually capture the video and post it.

I will say that the problem can sometimes be avoided by simply moving slower.  Not moving so many columns so fast.  And the app does do a pretty good job of recovering and puts me right back where I was.  Same search terms and everything.

Evernote for Mac is incredibly laggy/buggy for me. I use it mainly to write long outlines for my classes. I'm currently editing an outline that's at least 30 pages long. Evernote crashed twice today while I was editing it (yes I sent crash reports). And now it's freezing every time I create a new line for 3-5 seconds which is becoming frustrating. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and 2.6ghz i5, so this shouldn't be happening. 

I also found a bug where if I export the long outline to PDF, it makes it into one long page with very small text. See here for example

Another bug: Evernote won't print (or save to PDF) without borders. If I print and choose a borderless option under Paper Size, or create a custom one with no margins, the preview doesn't change and the output still has borders.

This was reported in 6.05, still a bug in 6.06.

Version 6.05 on iMac 27 with 10.10.2.

Using the Search function causes the column widths for the current notebook to be reset to match the search results column widths.

With the "side list" view and three columns displayed (Sync status, Title, Updated), enter a Search argument.  Canceling the Search will cause the Title column to be set very very narrow in the current notebook.  If you follow through with the Search and select a note, when you close the Search, the columns in the notebook containing the selected note will be set to the search results column widths.

Net result, if you search, you have to reset your column widths every time.

post-90639-0-63977300-1422919687_thumb.p
post-90639-0-48474300-1422919695_thumb.p
post-90639-0-51424100-1422919696_thumb.p

I posted this on another discussion thread, but I thought I'd add it here as well. However, I think you are wanting feedback on bugs and technical features. I haven't used it enough yet to find any functional issues, but I did want to convey my dissatisfaction with the new design.

My other post:

"Just installed upgrade 6.0.6. Wish I hadn't because I don't like the new look. Evernote needs to bring back some sort of customizable features or at least some color for Christ's sake. Some of us right-brain visual-learner types need this!! It has to keep us visually interested. The Notebooks and Stacks was a great way for "non-linears" to see their collections of work. And the previous interface was graphically pleasing enough to WANT to use it. If anyone knows how to un-install this upgrade, please let me know."

I have a problem with sync. I can`t see my notes in my Evernote on Mac(OS X Yosemite 10.10.2) but they are available on iPhone 5S or Evernote Web. Notes sync on my Mac only after editing on iPhone or Evernote Web. I got this problem after updating. 

Archived