How create 1,500 new notes with different titles & copy/paste from SQLite database

Hi,

I have started writing my journal in Evernote and really like the product and the interface.

But am going to put 5 years of notes in Evernote and wondered if anyone knew an easy way to do these two tasks:

1) Create notes with the title "Journal 2015-02-03 Wednesday" - and of course it would change for each day in the past 5 years.

2) Then there is the content. It is currently in a SQLite database format (Per Se by Sprouted) and need to copy it over. Maybe use Automator in OS X?

ANY suggestions highly welcome.

Thx :-)

• Level 5*

No easy way that I know of. You would need to export your notes from the SQLite database into a format that Evernote understands, which would be HTML or its own ENML format. If your notes are just unmarked-up text, then that would be a lot easier. Evernote (at least the Windows client) can import text files (.txt) straightaway.

Not sure how any of this plays out on the Mac, though, if that's your computer.

Like Jeff I cannot think of a way to do this.

However, what are your journal notes created with at the moment? 

Depending on how they have been created there may be a way to automatically creating a title based on date, but again not sure how you would do it.

Do your journal notes have a date already as a title, or as a header/start of journal? If so you should be able to import them and they will automatically have that same title or the Evernote Note title will be the first line of text in the imported Note.

Regards

Chris

Like Jeff I cannot think of a way to do this.

However, what are your journal notes created with at the moment? 

Depending on how they have been created there may be a way to automatically creating a title based on date, but again not sure how you would do it.

Do your journal notes have a date already as a title, or as a header/start of journal? If so you should be able to import them and they will automatically have that same title or the Evernote Note title will be the first line of text in the imported Note.

Regards

Chris

Thx for the help. My  notes are currently in a program called Per Se by Sprouted. It is basically an ordinary SQLite file. there are no current headings as already split into dates in the current file. Was afraid that I would have to do it manually. But doing a month a day and I would be done in a couple of months I guess...

I reckon if you shortened your title and put all the Notes in a Notebook called Journal it might be even quicker:

2015-02-03

Or the way I title my Notes based on great information from 'GrumpyMonkey' on the forum:

You could then copy and paste and only need to change the last digits during a month.

Regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi,

I have started writing my journal in Evernote and really like the product and the interface.

But am going to put 5 years of notes in Evernote and wondered if anyone knew an easy way to do these two tasks:

1) Create notes with the title "Journal 2015-02-03 Wednesday" - and of course it would change for each day in the past 5 years.

2) Then there is the content. It is currently in a SQLite database format (Per Se by Sprouted) and need to copy it over. Maybe use Automator in OS X?

ANY suggestions highly welcome.

Thx :-)

Since you are using a Mac, I think this should be quite doable using AppleScript.

Certainly AppleScript can create the Note, with Title, content, and created date in Evernote from any source that AppleScript has access to.

It's just a matter of accessing the SQLite DB to get the source data.  It might be easier to first export your journal entries from SQLite into one file per day, and then just access these text files from AppleScript.

Good luck, and please let us know what your solution turns out to be.

No doubt, what I am going to say has probably been discussed / recommended in other posts, but here goes.

The case that kmadsen68 has brought forth is a good example of a need that the Evernote developers could address. That is, develop another import option for users. It would import Notes from some common file format (like CSV, MS Word, or other) into Evernote. Then, users who maintain content in some other file format could use a program they have to convert their content into this common file format (CSV, MS Word, or other) and then import into Evernote.

It seems that this may be of benefit to Evernote. There may be many (thousands?) of users out there who have relatively large databases of content in some file format who might like to convert to Evernote, but don't see a path for doing so easily. Such another import option may increase the number of Evernote users. 

Archived