Dynamic attatchments to list items

Amanocheri

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Evernote and I was wondering if there was a way to add additional information to items my notes that are lists without cluttering the look of the list. I know you can add as much as you like to a list including photos, links, and long form text, and that a more simplified version of what I am describing could be achieved by insetting bullet points under the primary list items with the additional information, pics, or links -- But I make a lot of lists and some of them are quite long and complex, so I was wondering if there is a collapsable version of this that would keep the list looking more streamlined and as a result easier to brows through and manage.

I will give two short examples to further illustrate what I mean as I realize I may not be explaining it well.

1. Say I have a very long list of movies I love, and with each movie I want to include a brief summary and my personal thoughts. I wouldn't really want to clutter it by having the descriptions and my thoughts (which could be lengthy) initially visible under each primary list item. Is there a way to have sub-notes (I don't quite know what to call it) which, by clicking on any given movie would expand out?
  2. Say I went on a vacation and made a list of all the cool places I went to and all the great restaurants I ate at. In this list I would want to include pictures for reference but if I included pictures under every item the list would look very bulky and become unwieldy. Is there a way to expand and contract the photos attached to specific list items so that they are not initially visible and the list can appear stream-lined?

Thank you so much for your help and thoughts!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Welcome to Evernote's Table of Contents (TOC) feature.  Make a separate note for each of your items - films,  whatever - and put the summary list information in the note title.  You might need to use a tag to tie all your notes together.  When you're ready,  search for that tag "tag:<film>" to list all your film items in one screen,  and then select all the notes.  Choose TOC and all your notes will be listed and linked in a new note.  When you add another film,  delete the TOC and create another. :)

Hi.  Welcome to Evernote's Table of Contents (TOC) feature.  Make a separate note for each of your items - films,  whatever - and put the summary list information in the note title.  You might need to use a tag to tie all your notes together.  When you're ready,  search for that tag "tag:<film>" to list all your film items in one screen,  and then select all the notes.  Choose TOC and all your notes will be listed and linked in a new note.  When you add another film,  delete the TOC and create another. :)

Hi there Gazumped.

Thank you very much for your suggestion but I think it's not quite what i'm looking for.

What I'm really wondering is of there is a collapsable in-note feature so that each item in a list could have more detailed information attached to it that would expand out with a click (or something of the sort.)

I'm pretty sure Evernote does not have this ability but I'm asking the forum in hopes that people who are more experienced with this software can tell me whether or not what I'm looking for is possible.

Sorry,  but what you're looking for is not possible in Evernote,  other than via the TOC.  For collapsible text,  try something like this - https://workflowy.com/

Hi Gazumped,

That was actually a fantastic suggestion, thank you!! Could I trouble you once more and ask if you knew of a list manager that has that folding ability which also supports photos and hyper links etc...? Something very similar but a little more dynamic?

Thank you again Gazumped. I really appreciate your input!

• Level 5*

You're asking for quite a lot of flexibility in layout and content that most note taking products haven't gotten around to yet.  Evernote can store all the content you're listing,  but can't hide it.  Workflowy can do hiding,  but not all the storage.  Various mind mapping software tools can do some of both,  and you can learn more about that here - Five Best Mind Mapping Tools  http://lifehacker.com/five-best-mind-mapping-tools-476534555

WIkis are also pretty flexible in what they can do,  but tend to be variable in the functions they support,  and if you want to selectively add the features you want,  they get a bit technical.  See this link for a comparison of what's available - http://www.wikimatrix.org

-There's also a Wizard to help choose the ideal Wiki though I suspect it won't help you much.

Personal Wikis are the less technical house-trained versions of the same thing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_wiki

You may have to compromise on some of your requirements if you want to get started actually creating notes - it's possible to spend years trying to find the 'ideal' package,  only to have to accept that there's no such thing and accept a close(ish) option.. having lost a lot of productivity in the process.  Sometimes it's better to start with one product despite its limitations - you may find they aren't limitations after a while...

Good luck with your choice,  and if you don't mind,  please drop back here and tell us which product you go with eventually...

:)

The only app I have seen that can give you the concept of an outliner… And allow you to include images, is Gingko. It's not an outliner, and it's nothing like Evernote. A totally different approach, but perhaps worth looking into.

Archived