"Encrypt Selected Text" still an option?

bookjunkie

I want to encrypt a note. I have 2 step verification, but when I right click on text, I don't see the Encrypting Selected Text option. I've tried loggin into my account with both Firefox and Chrome in Windows. Is this function only available to premium users?

By the way, the help document below makes reference to a "passphrase" for which I don't recall any setup.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Level 5*

For general details see - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/28451608

Encrypting text is only (currently) possible in EN Desktop.  Once you have selected the text and chosen to encrypt you'll be asked to set up the passphrase.

Edit:  There were a couple of versions of this reply because I thought: you can't encrypt in EN Web!  You can! (According to the KB tags).  But having tried it to confirm - no,  you really can't...

Thank you so much for your informative reply. In summary, it sounds like EN Desktop is required to encrypt text, which is the $5/month premium product, right?

Once the text is encrypted in EN Desktop, do you know if it can it be unencrypted and read on a mobile device? (iPhone and iPad)

• Level 5*

The EN free desktop version will encrypt text,  and that should be decryptable in all other clients.  The actual execution is sometimes a bit variable though - but the app is free,  so worth testing out to see if it suits your needs...

Thank you again for your reply. I have carefully followed the instructions for encrypting text in the free version (basically, right click highlighted text and select "Encrypt Selected Text,") but this and other options that are suppose to appear when I right click do not appear for me. My only options are show in screen shot posted below

http://bookpump.com/authorupload/EvernoteEncryption1a.jpg

I wonder if there Is anywhere to report a bug?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  That screenshot seems to be of the browser-based web version,  whereas the 'Desktop' version I'm talking about is the stand-alone software downloaded and installed onto your computer.  As I said before,  the web versions don't support encryption.

Archived