PIN number timeout facility

Swifty

Idea

I've put a PIN number on my Android Evernote app to help protect personal data in case my phone gets stolen. But, on my Galaxy S4 it has a drawback.

My phone is fitted with the Flip cover, and to put it in your pocket, the cover has to be closed. 

Once the cover is closed, opening the cover takes me back to the Evernote PIN prompt.

When I'm using Evernote to contain my shopping list, this becomes a nightmare:

Get to Sainsbury's, open Evernote, enter PIN, find list, go get Broccoli. Put my phone in my pocket while I bag up the Broccoli...

What next? Open the Flip cover, I'm back at the PIN. Minor irritation. Milk obtained.

Next, Biscuits. blasted PIN number again. Frustrating...

On to bread. ARRGGHH! God-rotted PIN number YET AGAIN... losing patience.

You see how it goes, and can perhaps guess how it might end. 

So my suggestion:  Have a setting for how long Evernote has to be unused after a successful unlock, before asking for the PIN again.

I would set the allowed period of inactivity to about 5 minutes. I'd go round the shop, moving from item to item, and checking the items as I go. Each interaction with Evernote would gain me 5 minutes more during which I could close the case and not come back to the PIN prompt. 

At the  end of my purchases, I'd spend about 10 minutes in the queue at the tills (we are talking about Sainsbury's here...) and so I don't interact with Evernote and my 5 minute timeout expires.  Someone steals my phone and opens the Flip case.  They get the Evernote PIN number prompt. Ha ha! Serves them right! :-)

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5

My comment does not directly address the flip cover / PIN issue, but the grocery issue. I used to put everything into Evernote, back when it was promoted as my 2nd brain. But over the past couple years, I have found it better to use programs designed for my needs. Flickr for my photos, Workflowy for my outlines, DropBox for my receipts, etc.

My wife and I use a grocery /shopping app on our phones. If she adds something on her phone, I will see it on my phone.

There are several of these types of shopping apps. The app we use is 

https://www.ourgroceries.com/features

My wife and I use a grocery /shopping app on our phones. If she adds something on her phone, I will see it on my phone.

There are several of these types of shopping apps. The app we use is 

Even the free Evernote allows a degree of sharing (one folder, I recall), so our shopping lists are shared.  

If I could ever persuade my wife to use the shopping lists in Evernote, I suspect this would work fine.

Archived